Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trip planning software

I usually use Google Maps. But it will not do something that I need and I was wondering if anyone knows of any program out there that does.

After planning a 3000 mile trip with GM, I would like to mark let's say, 500 mile increments along the route.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't see any way to do this with GM.

Thanks,eh?

Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I still use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It's no longer sold, but you can still buy used copies of it. You can tell it to do so many miles a day, or you can just plug in a stop every 500 miles. We've done that in the past when we felt we only wanted to do about 325 a day.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

I have used Delorme since the early days. You can program travel time per day as well as fuel useage/tank size and it will give you proposed overnight and fuel stops.

The thing I love best about it is the ability to put in vias to force it to the route you want to take rather than quickest or scenic. They also we or well to account for sites off the main route that you want to see.

You can also program it to avoid freeways, tolls, etc. if that is your preference.

I usually take the laptop with me so I can update the route as we travel because we usually try to be flexible with our itinerary. I use Google maps to actually get the final routing as we near a stop.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

X2 on Delorme.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

X3 on Delorme, Runs on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro mounted on my dash.
Been using it since around 2003.
Wife has her own Garmin RV760 mounted on her side window. Helps when we are preparing to stop at say the next WalMart.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
For trip planning I use RV Trip Wizard, find it here. It allows you to set concentric "distance" rings at what ever distance you desire and will then bring up campgrounds from your selected position to your next position along the distant rings. We use it exclusively to plan trips. We do, however, cross check campground ratings with GS and RV Park Reviews. There is an annual subscription charge but you can try it for free.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

X4 on DeLorme. Been using it for years, runs on a LapTop between the seats with it's GPS Receiver on the Dash.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This is Good Sam's trip planner --> http://trips.goodsamclub.com/
Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those using DeLorme......does it show campgrounds around/near your destination. On Streets an Trips, you can select a diameter of miles, at your destination, and it will show all campgrounds within the diameter selected. I looked at the DeLorme website, but it doesn't discuss this feature. It would be nice to know if DeLorme can do what Streets and Trips does, since S&T is no longer available.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
For those using DeLorme......does it show campgrounds around/near your destination. On Streets an Trips, you can select a diameter of miles, at your destination, and it will show all campgrounds within the diameter selected. I looked at the DeLorme website, but it doesn't discuss this feature. It would be nice to know if DeLorme can do what Streets and Trips does, since S&T is no longer available.
It will show campgrounds and other businesses if you zoom in. I have never used it to find them because I don't think the list is as complete as Allstays. There may be layers that you can download.

BTW: I found the Delorme Android app to be useless for my needs and got my money refunded.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #11

Yes, you can find campgrounds, fairgrounds, etc. I plan our trip to Arizona in my easy chair before we leave home. I know where I will stop for fuel, camp the night and usually know where to eat out should we want to do so. I have found that our 1820 mile trip is accurate within 2 miles total for the trip.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #12

Since Google changed their map format, I've been using Bing maps. It's easier to use, and you're able to type in notes to the printed maps & directions. But I will say that I still use the trusty old Rand McNally to get a good overview of my route.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #13

We use Delorme. You can do your mapping on your computer without having to have internet access. You can add so many neat refinements, easily putting in vias to tell it how YOU want to go. We traveled off the interstates and explored secondary roads. You can tell it what kinds of roads you want to avoid. It also allows you to enter how many miles or how many hours per day you want to travel and it will put a stopping symbol on the map.

Once the map is refined you can transfer it to your vehicle GPS, such as a Garmin, if you want. We do it in daily segments. We also have Delorme's GPS that we can attach to our computer so the non-driver that day can view all the details while traveling. The Garmin won't show all the details - just the route.

We've used Delorme for over 20 years with success.

Delorme will show campgrounds. However, we've found no ONE tool will give you all campgrounds, not even the much-mentioned Allstays. We've found a lot of omissions with Allstays. We use a variety mainly because public parks and boondocking areas are always our first choice. We really like the Benchmark atlas series for western states for finding public lands and for easy to read gravel roads to do our 4-wheeling.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #14

Try the Rand McNally www.tripmaker.randmcnally.com
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard