RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
Thanks for the assistance.

It looks like what I want to do is not possible without a work around. What I wanted to do was plan the exact route I wanted to take on the website, and have that route transferred to the app on the iPad. I don't want the "engine" figuring out my route and re-calculating it for me on the fly. With the very first leg of my trip, the GPS engines have me drive through a hilly, twisty 2-lane road that I hardly want to drive my car down.

The work around is to set fake zero-night stops along the route I want to take, to trick the GPS (google, waze, apple, whatever) into forcing a particular road.

I think the work you have done is great, but I would love to see an option that follows the route I want to take, and not what the GPS engines think I should take. My navigator (wife) will look in real time on her phone when needed.
Scott, you have expressed my frustration with turn-by-turn exactly. I want to plan my exact route in RVTW and then execute it accurately, but all our navigators (Garmin, Waze, Google) recalculate routes to something else. On recent trips I could not get any of the navigators to avoid downtown Atlanta and downtown Savannah. Had to use a paper map.... how crude!

I'm hopeful that RV LIFE will eventually solve this.
Can't wait for Android version. Greg

svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
Naptown - please email support@rvlife.com with the details of your route. I've read the above paragraph a few times and still don't understand exactly what you're saying. Without actual data, I'm only speculating what should/shouldn't be happening.

Thanks
FreeLunch,
I guess great minds think alike. I had ready contacted support, their response is pasted below. If you're still curious about the route the starting point is 10 E, Senator Way, Carmel IN 46032 and the end point is 11425 Anderson Rd, Granger IN 46530. No stops between. The RV is a 2014 Newmar Baystar model 2903. Length 29 ft. 10 in. Height 12 ft. 4 in. Weight 20,500 lbs.

Here is supports' answer.

Thank you for contacting us.

The travel times are calculated by the routing engine provider, they are estimates for a vehicle the size of your RV to cover the distance.

In my testing in Texas, the times are pretty close, much more so than Google (Google's times are based on travel times for cars and light trucks). However, I have seen cases where the times are unreasonably long. I do not think I could provide a good answer as to why, our provider won't release all of the details on their routing calculations.

That likely doesn't fully answer the question, but it is how the estimates are derived.

Naptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been unable to get the RV Life App to work on my Android phone as a GPS>

Ken
Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #74

This is a previous response. Does this anwer your quesiton?

"thank you for the response. So, this is what I believe is happening. First, turn by turn has not been turned on for Android. It hasn't ever been turned on for Android. We do plan to release turn by turn on Android, but it's not ready. Therefore, when you're trying to route with RV LIFE maps, it won't let you do it. The offline maps provide offline maps to use/view, but are not usable for routing right now on Android."

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:14 AM   #75

Sounds like the perfect answer to this route planning is the Delorme Street Atlas Map Program.

Too bad Garmin bought them out killed them to stifle their competition because it was a better product.

I still have my 2015 Street Maps (their last update version before the buyout) and wish Garmin would just update the Delorme Street Maps and sell it as their invention.

A way better product than any out there.

I can plan my route by "VIAS" and add in rest stops, breaks and scenic detours I want to do, All based on speed limits and hours on the road. Save it on a file then drive it when I wish through my laptop. Every time we would pass a State rest stop we would add it to our computers maps memory so we would see it on later trips down those Roadways. The wife loved knowing where the next pee break was.

It cost $34.95 every year for an update, but I was happy to pay it because I could plan my route on my home computer then save the file to my laptop and drive the route with nothing more than a plug on GPS Antenna. And the best part was I could share my routes with others.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
So RVLife doesn't do turn by turn on Android. (The only real value add). That didn't prevent you for charging me for it. Not happy. I am sure others feel the same way. It should be free or not available until it works.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #77
RVTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
So RVLife doesn't do turn by turn on Android. (The only real value add). That didn't prevent you for charging me for it. Not happy. I am sure others feel the same way. It should be free or not available until it works.
Waterman - Iím sorry to hear that youíre not happy with the product. We have tried to be careful in our marketing that turn by turn is always mentioned in context of iOS. As far as Iím aware, no where in Android have we stated the app does turn by turn.

Our goal here is to have happy customers that love our products. We definitely do not want to mislead anyone. Developing turn by turn is a huge project where the underpinnings of making it possible has been worked on for a long time. There are pieces in place to make it work in Android and we are currently beta testing it and working out the bugs. However, weíre not ready to release it yet. An active RVTW member can use the app in conjuction with Google Maps to get routing.

I will tell you that itís definitely not easy making apps for Androids. People have high expectations and most of the times want you to give away your software where youíve invested thousands of hours in making it work.

At the end of the day, we want the best product we can muster but we just canít make the apps entirely free. Our programmers and team appreciate feeding their families and so our compromise has been to offer a lot of function in the app at no cost but for those who desire expanded function there is a fee. Thanks for understanding.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
FreeLunch, thanks for fielding all these questions. Hope this is part of your day job

We have been using TripWizard for some time for trip planning and love it. I am hopeful about your new app gps turn by turn capabilities. I currently use two gps systems for each long trip: Garmin 770 RV and CoPilot . Their capabilities complement each other for my needs. I have two questions:

1) I use TripWizard to plan the route and then use Basecamp to load into Garmin 770. This way the Gamin route is ď locked inĒ and minimizes the recalculate problem that has been brought up earlier in this thread. In addition, the side benefit of Garmin is it gives me realtime whatís up ahead info. Can you give me step by step instructions to export the TripWizard route into Basecamp? I have never been successful in doing it and have to manually enter it.

2) I use CoPilot to mimic the planned route as a safety net if I need to recalculate because of some issue up ahead on the road/route. The benefit of CoPilot right now is it gives 3 options for routing. Your solution gives only one right now. Will be adding multiple route options in the future?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #79

@Freelunch, is there any plan to implement CarPlay on iOS?
timurray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #80
RVTW

24thrd - There are threads in iRV2 that discuss the best ways to transfer data using basecamp. Basecamp as you know is developed by Garmin and it's a product that we don't have control over.

Tim / et al - with regards to future features of RV LIFE and for that matter RVTW, we have a lot of plans for both products to improve features, functionality, etc. It's not something that we really want to pre announce. In development, sometimes we can do things much faster and easier than anticipated and it just works. Other times, there are details that delay certain features. Please keep in mind that this is essentially the first release of TBT that required a foundation be put in before any of this was possible. We have other features that we do want to release that build upon this our current foundation, but it will take some time to deliver. We are actively developing new features for both products and if you talk to RVTW members that have used it for the past several years, they will comment about that the product is continually getting better. RV LIFE will continually get better as well.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
"The new RV Life app accesses your trips and then it will simply send the coordinates of your destination to Waze and then Waze takes it from there, so it is quite likely it will calculate a different route than RVTW."

Unfortunately, having Waze recalculate can be dangerous. It does not take into consideration our vehicle restrictions or desired route.

Agreed, Waze will always continue to recalculate a route based on traffic, speed limits, hazards, etc. It will not use any RV info, in trip calculation. I find it good for knowing about accidents and construction zones up ahead and that's all. Waze is not designed for RV's, just regular cars, etc.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #82

Triple E Owners Club
Based on Radio Flyerís glowing endorsement of RV Life I went ahead and downloaded it to a spare iPad I have. I am going to take the blame. For now. I was tired from a long hot day of trying to ďwire to towĒ my 2010 Scion xB as I donít care for the magnetic mounted lights which is what I have been using (any ideas anyone)? Had several distractions and interruptions so for now, my bad. Cannot get the propane on board to take. I told it I wanted to avoid highways and tolls, dirt roads and tunnels. I then asked it to take me from Tampa to a Myaaka River State Park. First it warned me no route using my preferences. Then I looked at the proposed route. Down I75, over the Skyway Bridge (that ainít happening). While thatís a neat drive, in my car, Iím not going over that bridge in our Motorhome. Going down 41 which is also a lovely ride. I signed on for the paid subscription and I had to dump everything out of the iPad to get the app to fit. Having second thoughts. My Rand McNally RV gps still works great but it is several years old and forecasting the need to replace it when it dies I thought RV Life would be an acceptable replacement. BTW, I75 is a highway and the Skyway Bridge is a toll road.
Cara 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #83

The app did tell you there was no route based on your preferences. What is your problem? There is probably a priority as to which preference takes precedence and you don't like the apps choices. Adjust your preferences to be more realisitic.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #84

Triple E Owners Club
There are 4 ways to get to Myakka from our house that don’t have tolls or the need to get on Interstate 75. I told the app no highways no tolls. Yet that’s the way it wants me to go! My old Rand McNalley figured it out! Not giving up though. I will play with it some more.

Cara 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard