Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Using RV Trip Wizard with wireless printer

I have a Samsung wireless laser printer in the MH. It comes up on my laptop as another wireless connection. I don't think I can be connected to two different wireless connections at the same time, for example, the wireless printer and a campground Wi-Fi network.

I want to buy the RV Trip Wizard, which is an internet-based program. There is no program stored in my computer. After I work out a trip plan, I would then print it. That trip plan is NOT stored on my computer. It is stored on their servers. If I want to make changes to the trip plan I go back online, make the changes, then print it again.

OK, here's the problem. Since my printer is wireless, and I can't connect with two wireless networks at the same time, I can't print that trip plan while I'm still on the internet! Has anyone run into this problem and what did you do to solve it?

As always, thanks for your help!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have a Samsung wireless laser printer in the MH. It comes up on my laptop as another wireless connection. I don't think I can be connected to two different wireless connections at the same time, for example, the wireless printer and a campground Wi-Fi network.

I want to buy the RV Trip Wizard, which is an internet-based program. There is no program stored in my computer. After I work out a trip plan, I would then print it. That trip plan is NOT stored on my computer. It is stored on their servers. If I want to make changes to the trip plan I go back online, make the changes, then print it again.

OK, here's the problem. Since my printer is wireless, and I can't connect with two wireless networks at the same time, I can't print that trip plan while I'm still on the internet! Has anyone run into this problem and what did you do to solve it?

As always, thanks for your help!
One possible solution would be to use a USB cable from the laptop to the printer. I have two wireless printers, but both have USB connections so they can be plugged into a computer. You could also install a wireless network in the RV, but that might be more trouble if this one issue is all you have to deal with.

I hope I am making sense. Even though the printer is wireless, it usually has to be connected wirelessly to your local access point (router) to communicate with your wireless computer. The printer doesn't connect directly to the Internet, just to a wireless network. Some wireless printers can be setup with their own email address, but I don't think this would solve your problem either.

Anyway, try the USB solution. If that doesn't work, post an update here and I or someone else will try to figure out something that will work.

Good luck,
Jack
__________________

__________________
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
spinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX, 77069
Posts: 2,086
MS how are you connecting to the internet? Directly to the park or through a hot spot?
__________________
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,319
Actually you can be connected to both at the same time. Whether your running Windows or OSX you have the option to "Share my internet connection"
Once your connected to the CG you can turn that option on. You will then need to (maybe depending on the printer) set the printer up to connect to your PC. The PC is now acting like a router or more commonly now called a hot spot.
Be sure to turn that option off when finished.
I haven't run Windows in a few years so I am assuming that feature is still available.
__________________
Paul, Kathy, and Tux the Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
spinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX, 77069
Posts: 2,086
MS just thought of another option for you. When you are using TripWizard and print your map, choose PDF as your printer. This will create a file on your computer. Then when the printer is available you can open the PDF file that was created and print it.
__________________
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
pcurt23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,295
You should probably be using a wifi router inside your rv for an internal network. There are several brands. Here is the one I use. JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

The antenna is mounted in the closet and will connect to whatever wifi source you use, Campground, Verizon puck, Iphone hotspot etc. You then connect your devices to your wifi router and not directly to the campground. It is a much more secure connection and provides an additional firewall between you and the bad guys.
__________________
Pcurt
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
One possible solution would be to use a USB cable from the laptop to the printer. I have two wireless printers, but both have USB connections so they can be plugged into a computer. You could also install a wireless network in the RV, but that might be more trouble if this one issue is all you have to deal with.

I hope I am making sense. Even though the printer is wireless, it usually has to be connected wirelessly to your local access point (router) to communicate with your wireless computer. The printer doesn't connect directly to the Internet, just to a wireless network. Some wireless printers can be setup with their own email address, but I don't think this would solve your problem either.

Anyway, try the USB solution. If that doesn't work, post an update here and I or someone else will try to figure out something that will work.

Good luck,
Jack
My computer connects wirelessly to the printer without using a LAN. That was the main reason I selected it.

I could plug in direct using a USB cable, but it would be too inconvenient, since the printer is in a cabinet in the bedroom and the laptop is in the living room.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
MS how are you connecting to the internet? Directly to the park or through a hot spot?

I use the park Wi-Fi whenever possible, otherwise I use my I-Phone as a HotSpot.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Actually you can be connected to both at the same time. Whether your running Windows or OSX you have the option to "Share my internet connection"
Once your connected to the CG you can turn that option on. You will then need to (maybe depending on the printer) set the printer up to connect to your PC. The PC is now acting like a router or more commonly now called a hot spot.
Be sure to turn that option off when finished.
I haven't run Windows in a few years so I am assuming that feature is still available.

I'm using Firefox and I don't see that option.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
MS just thought of another option for you. When you are using TripWizard and print your map, choose PDF as your printer. This will create a file on your computer. Then when the printer is available you can open the PDF file that was created and print it.

I asked Richard (who sells the Trip Wizard) about that but he says I can't save the PDF file on my computer! Have you done that?
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
spinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX, 77069
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I asked Richard (who sells the Trip Wizard) about that but he says I can't save the PDF file on my computer! Have you done that?
You should be able to. Let me confirm that later today but I believe when you select print and the printer window pops up, click change printer, and select PDF. It will be saved locally, you can open the file and print from there.
If you are using your hotspot you should be able to have your printer "join" that network. You can then access it via your network.

Steve
__________________
Steve Pinn
2008 Newmar Essex-4514
2014 Ram Laramie ecodiesel
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 745
I use the print to excel function. You can do that on-line and save the file on your computer. Then, connect to your printer to print the file.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
Anthem 42DEQ in production
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,319
Joe, the Share my Metwork is not a browser function. It is a Wimdows (I am assuming your using Windows) system network setting.
However if you have a phone to use as a hot spot then just use that when accessing the trip planner. Both you PC and printer will join the hotspot network and your PC should then see the printer while still accessing the Internet.
I don't have a Windows system available but the suggestion to print to a PDF file should work. You should also be able to do screen captures to a BMP or gif file as well.
__________________
Paul, Kathy, and Tux the Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Did a little experiment yesterday! I connected to the internet using my wireless router, selected a page to print, and clicked the "print" button. A box came up saying the Samsung printer was not available. I went to the wireless network icon, disconnected from the Wi-Fi, connected to the wireless printer, and BINGO, after a few seconds the page printed!

Anyone see why I can't do it like this? Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trip wizard



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Printer belanga Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 32 02-09-2016 09:18 PM
Long trip to Alaska Excursion04 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 38 02-08-2015 04:32 PM
First Family Trip Recommendations (Class A, 14 days) scoudi Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 8 01-06-2015 09:35 AM
Printer start problems wagonmaster2 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 11 12-13-2014 07:15 PM
Trip Tek Trip Computer information wagonmaster2 Newmar Owner's Forum 2 11-17-2014 08:45 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.