Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Stu is right about Maryland. Let me add that we took the alternate of the Francis Scott Key bridge and the roads you take to get there are some of the worst I have ever driven (and I am from PA). Like the surface of the moon.

Rick and Jessica
In looking at the map, it appears to me that taking 695 the other way around Baltimore is the obvious answer. For my purposes, I have been taking 95 to 695 to 70. It appears the other direction is about the same distance. I haven't done it yet. Anyone have any experience with this?

blang is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a Hampton Roads resident all the tunnels that go under the bay or rivers in this area (south eastern Virginia) require you to stop at the inspection station where they will verify the main shut off valve at the tank(s) are closed. I have seen them stop traffic and pull an RV out because they failed to stop so don't miss the stop.

Specific roads/tunnels in and around the Norfolk area-
I64 Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel
I664 Monitor/Merrimack Bridge Tunnel
US13 Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Toll charge collected at booth or EZ-Pass)
I264 Downtown Tunnel (Toll charge billed by license plate reader or EZ-Pass)
US58 Midtown Tunnel (Toll charge billed by license plate reader or EZ-Pass)
All tunnels are at least 13' 6" max height.

Further north on I95 in Baltimore the harbor tunnels have a total restriction and I suspect NYC and Boston might also have something regarding propane but I have not traveled that direction with the coach as yet so can't speak from experience.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #17

Very informative post, my thanks to the OP and all who posted. We usually spend a month or more back there during Summer and it's good to know where we can and can't go.

Does anyone know if RVs with toads going through NE are required to stop at inspection stations?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Very informative post, my thanks to the OP and all who posted. We usually spend a month or more back there during Summer and it's good to know where we can and can't go.

Does anyone know if RVs with toads going through NE are required to stop at inspection stations?

Thanks.

Steve
So far, previous posts say yes and no. Maryland DOT says "yes" and Maryland State Police say "no".
blang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
In Maryland ALL vehicles over 5 ton MUST enter scaled when open, only commercial vehicles are subject to safety checks. I have an email from MDOT stating this. I have pulled into the scales on I95 and I70.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Phone calls to both the MD state police and the MDOT verify no need to pull in to inspection stations and to please not. When you do , you are slowing down truck movement.
Actually the MDOT told me a funny story about a young trooper who went tearing out of one while he was there. Nobody could figure out what he was doing until they realized he was chasing down some poor RV. Apparently the poor guy didn't live it down for a long time

We have driven past every one in the nation including MD (those multiple times a year) and never been stopped
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nebraska has signs before their weigh scales stating "All trucks and pickups towing trailers must report". All the scales were closed and as we are not a truck I drove by.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Nebraska has signs before their weigh scales stating "All trucks and pickups towing trailers must report". All the scales were closed and as we are not a truck I drove by.
Thanks, I thought it was something like that. The last time we used I-80 going West through NE years ago I went on by with our TC and toad thinking the sign was for commercial vehicles only. I was surprised to see one of the vehicles from the inspection/weigh facility pull up beside us in the left lane and ride along there for a short time apparently looking at our toad connection. He finally dropped back and apparently returned to the facility without stopping us. Since then We have taken I-90 or gone down I-25 at Cheyenne to I-70 at Denver where we aren't required to stop. I guess we'll continue doing that.

Sorry for the segue, It was a question I had that seemed to fit the discussion somewhat. I hope it can be helpful to others.

Steve
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not think you would have to stop with a MH and toad. It specifically said Pick-ups towing trailers.

Perhaps he/they decided to as you say check the connection to see if there was brakes?

Tags
trip wizard