Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
CoPilot Live v8 bust

Here is the latest from CoPilot in response to my tech support email:

Response Via Email(Ashley) - 16/03/2015 01.48 PM Dear Rick, Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support. Our maps for Laptop v8 were last updated in 2011. In addition, we do not guarantee compatibility with Windows 8. However, we have had some customers have success using CoPilot while in compatibility mode. If you have any further questions, or feel that this incident has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to bring this to our attention. Regards, CoPilot Technical Support CoPilot Support

One of the goals of the present administration was to improve the roads. Evey where we have traveled during this period of reconstruction we have found many major highways that have been moved or had lanes added. You would think that CoPilot would at least try to keep up once a year. And what's up with not being Windows 8.1 comparable? Fortunately the program compatibility feature works most of the time in Win 8.1. I find it interesting that CoPilot chose "v8" for this version. One could jump to the conclusion that is was built to work with Win 8. That would be a bad jump.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I think that the software developers and vendors with mapping programs are abandoning them because of the overall popularity of GPS devices.

They cannot complete with them therefore they have given up on supporting their software or updating maps.

I may end up being forced to learn how to use BaseCamp as that will be the only mapping software that is totally compatible with the Garmin RV760-LMT.

Microsoft Streets & Trips is close but not 100% compatible.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Personally I think that the software developers and vendors with mapping programs are abandoning them because of the overall popularity of GPS devices.

They cannot complete with them therefore they have given up on supporting their software or updating maps.

I may end up being forced to learn how to use BaseCamp as that will be the only mapping software that is totally compatible with the Garmin RV760-LMT.

Microsoft Streets & Trips is close but not 100% compatible.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I may be in this same place. But the small screen is the biggest problem. If I could "project" the Garmin to the laptop I would have made some progress. But then the printed itinerary still would not be available.

I am one who will NEVER go to a tablet. My wife had a Surface and I just can't function on it. Way too small for me. Besides, what is available to work on a tablet is still not what I am looking for or up to date enough to be relied upon. UG

You may be correct in your observations. The market is $ driven. Thought the bucks may be sufficient in the nitch, if too many players are in the field the value to each is not there. If everyone else but S&T quit they might have stayed. But, as it goes, we must say good by to our friend and try to live with what we have left.

It looks like we have explored most avenues in this discussion. Looks like it to is about to die. Thank to all who tried to help me find a good workable solution for my dilemma. I guess I am just old and stubborn and change is something I am resiting.

Happy and safe trails to all.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
For those with an iPad (also works on the iPhone, but that a little too small) you might want to take a look at inRoute inRoute app review: a trip planning tool - appPicker reviews 13564 This is pretty much just a planning app as it doesn't offer GPS guidance, but you can export planned routes in GPX format, and it does print maps.

I don't use a Garmin unit so I don't know how well the GPX export works. It's free, but I think you need the $1.99 upgraded version to get the GPX function, along with other options.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I may be in this same place. But the small screen is the biggest problem. If I could "project" the Garmin to the laptop I would have made some progress. But then the printed itinerary still would not be available.

Happy and safe trails to all.

Rick Y
I am not sure as to what you mean as an itinerary but you can print a map and turn by turn directions out of Garmin BaseCamp. I have the Garmin RV760LMT which has a 7" screen. Not as large as a laptop but I got used to it.

I remember the days of the DOS AutoMap that Microsoft bought and converted to S&T. That is when I switched to the Delorme program and used the serial GPS puck when it came out.

I have used Street Atlas and S&T and now BaseCamp over the years and none are perfect.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
For those with an iPad (also works on the iPhone, but that a little too small) you might want to take a look at inRoute inRoute app review: a trip planning tool - appPicker reviews 13564 This is pretty much just a planning app as it doesn't offer GPS guidance, but you can export planned routes in GPX format, and it does print maps.

I don't use a Garmin unit so I don't know how well the GPX export works. It's free, but I think you need the $1.99 upgraded version to get the GPX function, along with other options.
Another good iPad app is Allstays Camp & RV - I believe we paid $9.99 for it but it is family shareable so my wife and I have a copy on each of our iPads.

For us RV'ers who travel unfamiliar roads there is absolutely no way I would be without my Garmin RV760! Yes it has a learning curve BUT I think it offers what the OP was looking for. The travel history feature of the RV760 should keep a accurate list of trips you have been on.

For us, the best feature is your RV profile. Input your RV specs (length, height and so forth) and never again will the GPS route you under a low bridge, or up/down a switchback if you have a long rig.

In concert with Allstays, the routing feature of the 760 and the combined POI database make - for us at lease - a killer combination!

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #49

If you want to run a laptop run Delorme with their GPS head. It works great. The only drawback is that it is a mapping program you you need to figure the speed limit and watch the road. Fairly easy with the screen size on a laptop. I have it on this one. ;-)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
It is easier to sum up the above posts here.

First of all, I so deeply appreciate this forum. No matter the topic, someone or many have great ideas and info. We are in a great community here. Thanks for helping me out this time.

For the ipad folks I am glad for you that you have a solution. I am not a Apply happy guy. Donated my last Apple laptop to a camp.

For the Microsoft folks, your suggestions are many. For those who see that the laptop screen is important to me when driving, special thanks to you for trying to help me keep it. For those who have provided so many good workarounds, I deeply appreciate your efforts and the experiences you have shared.

A couple of specific issues have been mentioned in all of this that have different levels of importance to me.

Speed limits are on the bottom of my list. I just updated my Garmin the other day and it still shows 45mph in a 50mph zone. I try to find the posted speed limit because they often change without notice to the newcomer in the area. Besides, in the Dallas area some of the roads are now 80mph! Not in my coach!!!

Map updates are important and I have stressed that from the beginning post. It seems Delorm and CoPilot are not up to date. I did see that my dash GPS has a new update for the 4th quarter of 2014 if I want to fork out the bucks and delete some maps to make room for it. Dumb system and still no printed itinerary.

I guess I'll continue looking at the updates for the laptop programs and the one that updates first will get my $s. For now I will just keep on keeping on with what I have and deal with the changes when they happen. Besides, if the road is moved into the middle of a swamp I am still on the road. It is the GPS that is very confused.

With all the folks interested in this topic I can see it will not go away quickly. We are all watching for that replacement for our beloved (though not perfect) S&T.

Happy trails

Rick Y
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #51

I also went through the pain of trying to find a good route planner. Used S&T, Delmore, Basecamp, Allstays, etc. All had their merits but none seemed to integrate good planning capabilities with campgrounds and other rv services. Delmore with an add-in for campground was about the best but still lacked features. Finally settled on Rv Trip Wizard ( others mentioned this product in this thread). Although not the perfect planing tool it is quite good and easy to use. The only issue is that you must be online to use it and that can make performance slow (depending on your internet connection). I understand that there are upgrades coming to enhance the planning tool. They update campsite information continually and since the base engine it's Google maps the cartography is also constantly updated. Features include being able to download the route to a gps ( not sure which ones are supported, we use a Garmin desl and it works fine)

Not affiliated with the company just a happily user. Rvtripwizard.com
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Very useful for those with FREE high speed Wi-Fi connections and anyone who has an unlimited data plan and lots of patience.

For the rest of us, a PC based standalone application is what's needed to do the deed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Very useful for those with FREE high speed Wi-Fi connections and anyone who has an unlimited data plan and lots of patience.

For the rest of us, a PC based standalone application is what's needed to do the deed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Well stated. Internet for me is not always an option. The places we volunteer at may not even have cell service . (What a honorable thought!) Delorme may be the last choice . I wish there were a way to update the maps in S&T. It is what it is.

Rick Y
Old 03-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
For me, my copy of S&T 2013 will work find for a very long time. Major Roads really do not change alot. We like using it while driving with a GPS attached, especially in cities & towns. Plus we use it in planning all of our trips. Sometimes we do come across a new interchange, but hey no problem. We also have a Indash GPS, along with latest Primo (Igo) software loaded on it. (Truck Version). Most Maps are created by a few companies NaviTotal being one of the prime one and they update the maps and POI's. For those of you who have aa GPS, goto the About screen and see who really provide the maps.
gatorcq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #55

I haven't done it for a long time but you used to be able to add roads in S&T. This may be an option to keep your maps up to date.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
For me, my copy of S&T 2013 will work find for a very long time. Major Roads really do not change alot. We like using it while driving with a GPS attached, especially in cities & towns. Plus we use it in planning all of our trips. Sometimes we do come across a new interchange, but hey no problem. We also have a Indash GPS, along with latest Primo (Igo) software loaded on it. (Truck Version). Most Maps are created by a few companies NaviTotal being one of the prime one and they update the maps and POI's. For those of you who have aa GPS, goto the About screen and see who really provide the maps.
My indash gps uses the same data source as yours but under a different name set. The maps are .fbl files. Because my sd card is programmed I have no choice but to use RiverPark. The card is small and the update for the maps is poor. I have to backup maps and then delete them to make room for new and bigger ones. I haven't tried to use the indash much.

Planning with S&T is a major need for my trips. I can preview the route and change it as needed. Plus the printed directions gives us a log record of fuel stops and other info we want to keep a record of. I just done have the level of confidence in the alternatives suggested by the fine folks here that I do in what I now use.

"Posted by: wva3185 On: 03-19-2015 11:51 AM
I haven't done it for a long time but you used to be able to add roads in S&T. This may be an option to keep your maps up to date."

I don't see a way of doing this. Do you have some suggestions? I would love to be able to correct the map on the fly by turning the field on the screen into the highway that was moved after the map was made.

Rick Y

Tags
replace, trip wizard