Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
If anyone is running Delorme 2015 can you tell me what the map date is? Thanks.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Coach dash GPS update

This coach has the Xite XSG2NA GPS SD card. Yesterday I decided to update the card because the maps were original, 2010. The update offered at the Naviextras site is for 2014 4th quarter. The single download purchase was $70 rounded up.

I started the download at about 10:30 yesterday morning. This process was not as clear to do as the instructions made it sound. I followed the bread crumbs to pay for the maps I chose and then the download started when I clicked a mystery button in the control panel. It seemed all like mystery and magic to me.

The download box had two check boxes. One was to view details and the other to view errors. I had them both checked from time to time. After a while errors began to show up: Server not found, Map not found, POI not found, each lead by the name of the state that was in error.

After many hours the download finished. I clicked the Install button and the download started once again . This time the errors were being found and corrected. (This total process did not seem to fit the instructions at all and the error thing was not mentioned.) The download went on for another hour ++, I lost track, and finally finished. I hit the install button again and now the maps started to populate the SD card/device. Oh, I failed to mention that at the beginning of each process I needed to do a backup of the device. Then another ERROR REPORT was generated. Throughout the process, between download sessions, these error reports were generated and many would fail.

My reported sequence here is poor at best. I did start the process from scratch at least once and that is when the installation finally happened as I recall. Needless to say, my laptop was not available for the day. It was about 9:30PM when I felt I had accomplished the update as best as I could.

The maps seem to be there. I have precious little room left on the SD card now. Also, the update data seems to be from TomTom.

This morning I went back into the download site and discovered that there is a 2014 3rd Q update available for free. For those who have made it this far through my dribble, you might check it out.

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/home

Happy trails... if you are on one.

Rick Y.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #59

Rick, my maps are 2013 Q1. I could not locate the 2014 Q4, and the 2014 Q3 you indicated free they don't offer for me.

Maybe because yours were original, and I have update once.

I will keep checking back to see if they offer me the free one.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If anyone is running Delorme 2015 can you tell me what the map date is? Thanks.
Don't have 2015....This from Delorme..Take it with a grain of salt....

Map Data
Because all DeLorme map data is created, updated annually, and owned by DeLorme, we are able to provide many features typically reserved for expensive in-vehicle navigation systems. Free from the license restrictions and third-party dependencies of other publishers, we can also evaluate customer-submitted revisions and implement these changes after triple-checking all submissions. We currently have an enhanced commitment with staff in place to make as many customer revisions as possible.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #61

And if you are running up Rt 1 in Maine they are a fun place to stop!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #62

I'm a S&T user for planning. We have a Garmin DEZL (smaller 5" version, forget the model number) for while traveling. I do not import the S&T GPX, as usually the night before heading out, I enter the next stopping point, and then also cross check the RM Printed Page Truckers Atlas. Whenever in doubt, and as long as we're in phone cell/data coverage, the DW will also ask Google to provide routing directions. (We find the DEZL and iPhone Google are usually pretty close. And find the iPhone is usually more correct when their are differences.)

My main concern with S&T is as MS comes out with their new 10, is if it will be supported? If not, we'd keep our laptop with S&T on it, on the current version of 8.1.

As much as you'd think their are millions of us who need a Route Planner type mapping software, the reality is their's a very small demand for such software. Most people use GPS, portable/phone/in dash, to find an address in a town their not familiar with. My bet is less then 5% of GPS user's, ever really sit down and do 'online' route planning. So the $$ of reality kicks in, and can't knock companies for not diverting from profits for such a small demand. (All my opinion, and sure could be wrong.)

In this thread here, and a few on other boards over the last year or so, I keep coming back to the input that probably the best bet on a new 'compromise' route planner, is to go with a company that sells stand alone GPS.

This thread reflected two of the most popular. So, I think I will try the Basecamp that goes with our Garmin, and do dual planning for a few trips. S&T plus Basecamp - and go thru the learning curve. Then I can also compare the two.

If I don't like the results of Basecamp with Garmin, I'll pick up a RM and see how that goes.

But as I'm like some of the other posters in this thread, a slow learner(-!) - I'll start the education of self earlier, rather then waiting for S&T to just be too old to be effective!

Best to all, be safe, have fun - and cross check those GPS routing suggestions!
Smitty
Old 03-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Rick, my maps are 2013 Q1. I could not locate the 2014 Q4, and the 2014 Q3 you indicated free they don't offer for me.

Maybe because yours were original, and I have update once.

I will keep checking back to see if they offer me the free one.
The site is tough to navigate. It was a fluke that I found the free maps. Try poking around the site some more. You might find the 2014 Q3 free update. The annual update fee is just giving them $15 extra for the onetime map purchase. There update guarantee is just the opposite. There is none.

But, through all of this, we have to find a way to adapt to the new environment we are being forced into. Smitty is correct about learning now, before S&T is nonfunctional. As far as running on the MS 10 goes, they have been pretty consistent in making the OS backward compatible. Time will tell.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #64

All things considered I prefer Google for route planning as they have up to date timing and traffic info. I can also easily change the route and see the results. My fall back is Delorme because they have the next best data base as their business is selling map data. The least reliable method I have seen for getting somewhere is relying on the GPS as they are often wrong or irrational in their routing.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #65

We’ve misplaced our Microsoft Streets & Trips GPS receiver. We learned Streets & Trips is no longer available and the price of a replacement receiver has gone sky-high. We understand the Delorme Street Atlas is now the most popular navigation software. Can anyone tell us how Street Atlas compares?
Thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #66
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rmeusaborn

GULP - It wasn't long ago I paid $15-$20 for these things.... I see $40 is now the standard.

Google GPS serial receiver - or USB GPS receiver.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
You can locate a GPS receiver on Ebay. The main function is to get the 4800 BAUD speed and not the 9600. If you specifically look for one that say S&T, then yes the price is jacked up.
I have an original S&T receiver and another one I picked up for $20.

We will still use out S&T 2013 for many years to come, as most roads will never change.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #68

I have S&T 2011 and 2013. I use 11 because I like it better. I have yet to see an issue with updated maps on my 2011 version so I really doubt that the 2013 version needs to be replaced yet. It is just too easy to use compared to Co Pilot and Delorme.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #69

FWIW Google maps have turned to crap as the modernize for the tablet junkies.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #70

We've used both S&T and Delorme. They were both good products. After S&T sent me on some wild rides we switched to Delorme. It's been a few years since we used it but from what I remember, Delorme was more detailed and customizable, hence a bit more complicated. When products became available for a tablet we switched to Rand McNally to have an easier to mount large touch-screen system otherwise we would still be using Delorme.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, trip wizard