Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #71

Thanks to all who contributed. Due to mixed reviews on Delorme we decided to buy both the replacement receiver for S&T AND Delorme Street Atlas 2015+ and decide for ourselves. Navigating the last 750 miles with iPad Air has been very frustrating since we had no internet most of the way. 450 miles to go on familiar roads should be OK. Next trip should be much better. Stay tuned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #72

Thanks to all who contributed. Due to mixed reviews on Delorme we decided to buy both the replacement receiver for S&T AND Delorme Street Atlas 2015+ and decide for ourselves. Navigating the last 750 miles with iPad Air has been very frustrating since we had no internet most of the way. 450 miles to go on familiar roads should be OK. Next trip should be much better. Stay tuned.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeusborn View Post
Can't wait to hear your assessment. Thanks for taking the plunge.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #74

Now that Delorme is also done - what's available now?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwalterusa View Post
Now that Delorme is also done - what's available now?
Glad you found us.
Ron, you are so very right. It seems that the RV world has been deemed not valuable enough to sustain a good, editable PC GPS program. I am continuing to use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 but I can see that it will soon become obsolete. As we travel we are finding more and more new roadways, neighborhoods and interchanges being built. Traveling the old established roads will be the only reliable route in many areas.

I am experimenting with Maps Pro, an app available from the Microsoft Store. (Not Map Pro.) It has potential but I don't consider it a valid replacement for any of the above in this topic. Not yet in any case. The developer has been making many fine improvements over the past several months and seems to be interested in refining this app to bemore user friendly.

I wish I could be more of an encouragement for you. A trial copy of S&T 2013 is still available for download from the Microsoft download website. It would be great if we all could let Microsoft know that this program is still desired and encourage them to reinstate it as an app in this manner. I wonder if they would give a license to the user at the end of the trial period? Usually a HELP window appears during this part of registration. I don't know if this might be true for Delorme also. (I never could get that one to work for me in a comfortable way.)

As I travel around the country, and I get older, I am finding the need for the big screen GPS is becoming more and more valuable. My eyes just don't refocus as rapidly as they did even 5 years ago. Even my Garmin for the car, and used as a backup in the RV, is no good substitute for my laptop. I can't easily pick my route and it is too small for navigating the big rig in a congested area with many interchange choices. S&T is still my best nav tool.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #76

"A trial copy of S&T 2013 is still available for download from the Microsoft download website. It would be great if we all could let Microsoft know that this program is still desired and encourage them to reinstate it as an app in this manner."

Great idea. I would prefer a computer based system rather than an app so I did not have to have a cell signal to use it.

How can we do this?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Ron, you are so very right. It seems that the RV world has been deemed not valuable enough to sustain a good, editable PC GPS program. I am continuing to use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 but I can see that it will soon become obsolete.
I still used the old Trailer Life Campground Navigator 2011 that was produced by Undertow. I wish someone had purchased that code (for navigation) and somehow merged the RVParkReviews database with it. There are some clunky things about the interface, but it will let you set depart times, drive times, breaks, search for campgrounds (or services) along the route (or at your desired stopping points) with specific criteria, set exclusion areas (for roads you know you want to avoid), etc. It really was a well-done RV trip planner.

They tried to make the product without the TL/GS database after TL/GS pulled the plug, but it didn't pan out because they were relying on end users to help build the campground/services database from scratch.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #78

I have used CoPilot for many years. They now have a "Truckers" program. Not sure if it will help us but might be worth a look?

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/compare...#compare-truck
Old 08-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkgunner View Post
I have used CoPilot for many years. They now have a "Truckers" program. Not sure if it will help us but might be worth a look?

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/compare...#compare-truck
I started with Copilot Live and abandoned it because it lead me down too many wrong roads. Now it is very expensive. This was always a truckers program. The last time I tried it on my laptop, about a year and a half ago, it kept trying to route me through a cow pasture. I got my money back.

Rand McNalley has abandoned there Camping world RV GPS. Now they offer a truckers version for a mere $500! "Big" 7" screen though!

Nothing can match Streets and Trips I am sad to say.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #80

After looking for a couple years, for something to replace Microsoft Streets and Trips (SnT) for planning our annual cross country road trip I finally located something I've not seen referenced on any of the forums. It's almost as good as SnT and in some areas even better. Find it here: https://trips.furkot.com/register

It's free!!! It allows you to opt to use Google Map or Apple Map. It has most of the features of SnT which are absent from all the other options I've tracked down. For example, one of the SnT features missing from other 'alternatives to SnT' and one of the most valuable options for me is the ability to plug in start and stop driving times. This option results in showing your end of day on the map much as SnT does/did. Additionally, Furkot offers the ability to set your speed of travel in MPH or you can accept the default of 100% of the 'average' drive speed for the route OR edit that percentage. This option, which was on the very early versions of SnT vanished with later upgrades (or I was just unable to find it) AND this option allow you to really hone in on the big question my wife always ask: where are we spending the night tonight.

You can use Furkot on and off line and if you have internet connection, you're not restricted to using a particular device - which is another upgrade to SnT of old.

Enjoy!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #81

Freightliner Owners Club
I get just as much information and driving directions, by just using Google Maps.
I use the create a map. Go to GM, the select the 3 horizontal bars on the left side.
Next select "your places"
Then "MAPS"
Next at the bottom is "Create a Map"

From there I can places up to 50 places in a layer.
Now I can only create driving direction for 10 places per layer, but I just start a new layer with #10, and then continue.

You can see an example here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0955...p0pqlsabYRdiK0
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #82

National RV Owners Club
I used S & T back on Wlndows ME I think it was. I am still looking for a way to do trip planning like that. We don't drive over 60mph in our rig. I want to be able to input a start time, stops, stop time, and route and let it show me where I woul be. Had all of that in S&T but now that is gone 😥.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by skma30 View Post
After looking for a couple years, for something to replace Microsoft Streets and Trips (SnT) for planning our annual cross country road trip I finally located something I've not seen referenced on any of the forums. It's almost as good as SnT and in some areas even better. Find it here: https://trips.furkot.com/register

It's free!!! It allows you to opt to use Google Map or Apple Map. It has most of the features of SnT which are absent from all the other options I've tracked down. For example, one of the SnT features missing from other 'alternatives to SnT' and one of the most valuable options for me is the ability to plug in start and stop driving times. This option results in showing your end of day on the map much as SnT does/did. Additionally, Furkot offers the ability to set your speed of travel in MPH or you can accept the default of 100% of the 'average' drive speed for the route OR edit that percentage. This option, which was on the very early versions of SnT vanished with later upgrades (or I was just unable to find it) AND this option allow you to really hone in on the big question my wife always ask: where are we spending the night tonight.

You can use Furkot on and off line and if you have internet connection, you're not restricted to using a particular device - which is another upgrade to SnT of old.

Enjoy!
Thanks, I just tried it for a few minutes and I think it will work for me.

Tags
replace, trip wizard