Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What replaces Streets & Trips

Has anyone found a good replacement for the now in history S&T program? We print our trips and make notations on the hard copy to help at tax time. This is our volunteer log. As the program becomes more and more outdated we will find it less useful. With all of the recent changes of the highway infrastructure the maps are becoming outdated quickly. As it is we have found a few spots where the S&T thinks we are in the middle of a swamp or forest with no road under us. Recalculating is over worked.

The coach GPS has no printing feature nor does out Garmin for the car. CoPilot Live for laptops is one option I have found. I need some other suggestions if any are to be had.

Thanks for your input.

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Here are a couple

RVbonus mapping directory.

Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another free option... Rand McNally Driving Directions and Maps lets you print the map and driving directions, save addresses etc. Not much in the way of POIs but you can set some basic options like types of roads to avoid (toll, unpaved etc) and chose between fastest/shortest/etc.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could you consider having a google account (free) and saving your trips there for google maps? I used to use streets and trips in the past. Currently I use a Garmin for on the road and plan the trip with Google maps. I create and save trips in Google maps. I've also imported the results into Excel (directions, etc.) for reference for the future.

There are also plug ins for spreadsheet data, but I've not used them. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...cglcncif?hl=en
Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was a working stiff half the work stations had S&T and the othe half Rand McNally's product.. I learned to use both.

DO not know what is offered today.. I'm still using S&T 2013 and will continue to do so till the computer it's installed on dies.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I too will miss Streets and Trips.We got apple lap tops and I have the free maps program not too bad for routing. doesn't have everything but not a bad little plus when you get an apple. By the way, the Apple I phone 6 also comes with the same maps app and it works great. So we have a Garmin RV 760 on the dash and cross check it with Apple maps and also use Allstays ( app on the phone) to find what we need, food, fuel, camps, rest areas. But in closing, it was nice to have a printed copy from Streets and trips. have fun traveling, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

I've used Delorme Street Atlas for years if you are looking for a laptop program...

Street Atlas USA 2015 Plus - DeLorme
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

I will really miss S&T as well. I've used it for years and like wa8yxm, will continue till my 'puter dies! I also use Google maps but much prefer S&T. I just hate that MS is no longer supporting it.

I can only get 10 stops on Google maps and can't figure out how to show mileage easily. Those are just a couple of things that I don't like about it! I guess I'll eventually have to try Delorme Street Atlas. :(
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Could you consider having a google account (free) and saving your trips there for google maps? I used to use streets and trips in the past. Currently I use a Garmin for on the road and plan the trip with Google maps. I create and save trips in Google maps. I've also imported the results into Excel (directions, etc.) for reference for the future.

There are also plug ins for spreadsheet data, but I've not used them. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...cglcncif?hl=en
here's a second for Google Maps. Once you get used to it, you will love it!
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

I love navigating with google maps on my smartphone in my Jeep but I don't beleive you can navigate with google maps on a laptop computer connected to a gps device if that is what the op is asking...Someone chime in if you can..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you already have S&T why does anyone feel the need to spend more money to replace it. Just because its not supported doesn't mean that you can't continue to use it. There aren't that many new major roads being built in the US to make it obsolete.

I use it for all of my extended trip planning and love it. It allows for all of the flexibility I need for planning daily start and end times, control of the route I want to take, etc. Then its simple to upload the route to the Garmin. If you augment with Google maps, Garmin and any other nav aid that you have you are covered.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I will really miss S&T as well. I've used it for years and like wa8yxm, will continue till my 'puter dies! I also use Google maps but much prefer S&T. I just hate that MS is no longer supporting it.

I can only get 10 stops on Google maps and can't figure out how to show mileage easily. Those are just a couple of things that I don't like about it! I guess I'll eventually have to try Delorme Street Atlas. :(
Check out Mapquest.com
I like it better than Google maps for several reasons. It will give total mileage, mileage between stops, running/accumulating mileage, and mileage to next stop or turn.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a bit if a techie, so I have evolved over to the following;
I Have Garmin on my RV Dash, along with my iPhone6.
I have an iPad also, and it has several mapping APPs including Google Maps and Waze. Both are good Garmin backups as I travel.
I have MS OneNote on both where I can write my travel notes as I go along, and it allows me to store pictures, and text and other data throughout the date, on either one, and have accessible on both (via the iCloud).
I also occasionally use the following Apps as I travel;
Rest Areas
Gas Buddy
Passport America
Good Sam Camping
Passport
Good Sam Roadside Assistance
GPS Log
Around Me
and several more.

Almost all of the APPs are free or only a couple of bucks to download. and I have access to so much information as I travel having them on my iPhone.

Ramblingdon
ramblingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
If you already have S&T why does anyone feel the need to spend more money to replace it. Just because its not supported doesn't mean that you can't continue to use it. There aren't that many new major roads being built in the US to make it obsolete.

I use it for all of my extended trip planning and love it. It allows for all of the flexibility I need for planning daily start and end times, control of the route I want to take, etc. Then its simple to upload the route to the Garmin. If you augment with Google maps, Garmin and any other nav aid that you have you are covered.
This is a bit hard to put into words but here it goes. The biggest issue for me is screen size. I am not comfortable taking the time to focus on the small screen when I am in traffic with the big rig. That is just me. With the laptop on the dash I can glance at it to figure what Nelly is trying to make me understand. I just have to take my eyes off the road too long because of the size and location of the on-board GPS or the Gamin. (We love the Garmin for the car.)

The S&T maps are quickly becoming outdated. The road reconstruction projects that have been in full swing for the past several years are having an impact on local maps. Many new roads are being added, old ones being moved, lanes being added, etc. This will only make the existing maps less reliable and even dangerous when following directions if a major change has taken place. I'd be a bit hesitant to load them in the Garmin if it were an option.

I am considering AKL's CoPilot Live 8 Laptop. The program is a bit pricey and I used an older version at one time and found it buggy at times. I wonder what the forum folks have to say about AKL today?

Google maps is okay if you always have a reliable internet connection. More often than not we don't. Even doing the irv2 forum where I am located now can be a bit frustrating with the slow, often very slow, upload and down load speeds.

As I am typing I am realizing that a bit of my flesh is in the mix. I have worked for years to understand, customize and utilize the S&T with some level of skill. I don't want to start all over again. I am not saying I won't, but....

Thanks for your great suggestions. I wish I could use them with confidence in them and me.

Rick Y

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, replace, trip wizard