Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What tools do you use for trip planning?

I was looking through Trailer life magazine, and I saw an ad for RVTRIPWIZARD.COM. I wondered if anyone has used this service and what they thought. Or what the most popular way to plan a trip was for everyone.
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use trip planner from Good Sam, then download it to my GPS.
It works great and you can Taylor it to what you want to do to include all campgrounds along your route and gas stops
Good luck !!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Roadtrippers.com seems pretty cool to get a general idea of the route and is easy to use. I also use the all stays app on my iPhone, very handy
compute42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #4

My favourite method is each morning look out the window and if it is raining, plan to stay put. If not, step outside and wet my forefinger and hold it up to see which way the wind is blowing - and that's the way we head that day.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #5

I have RV TRIP WIZARD and I like it very much. It has all campgrounds listed including, RV Parks, State Parks, Corp of Engineers, Passport America plus it will give you Walmarts with overnight parking, Gas stops, mileage between stops, total trip mileage. There is a lot of information available to you when you plan your trip. Subscriptions are $37/ yr.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #6

I just used the Good Sam RV Trip Planner for the first time and it worked pretty well for finding campgrounds and seeing area attractions. Of course, I also use mapquest to check mileage.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard x2.
Bently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

I am old school we plan our own trips. I use the internet along with paper maps and the individual state web sites for information. We do use GPS but only to prevent from seeing low overhead issues when pulling. But we also have paper copies of Google maps for each day of traveling to the camp ground we have chosen and each state map that we are traveling through with us.

Jim W.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now THATS an answer!! Thank you for your honest response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
My favourite method is each morning look out the window and if it is raining, plan to stay put. If not, step outside and wet my forefinger and hold it up to see which way the wind is blowing - and that's the way we head that day.
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Tony Lee
Like you, we no longer plan a trip in advance.. but simply "fly by the seat of our pants"...(stopping when and where we want... for as long as we want...fueling when fuel is needed.....and seeing what we want to see along the way).
BTW, whenever we did "have a plan"... it was no good in a day or two anyway.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a number of tools: Microsoft Streets & Trips for the actual routing. We set the drive start and stop times for each day, then use the Good Sam website, campgroundreviews.com, and/or KOA website (last resort) to look for campgrounds at each stop. Once we're stopped we use tripadvisor.com to look for things to do in the area.

We just finished an 8K mile coast-to-coast trip taking two months using the above and did not find ANY sub-standard campgounds using the Good Sam website along with rvparkreviews.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Tony Lee
Like you, we no longer plan a trip in advance.. but simply "fly by the seat of our pants"...(stopping when and where we want... for as long as we want...fueling when fuel is needed.....and seeing what we want to see along the way).
BTW, whenever we did "have a plan"... it was no good in a day or two anyway.
Mel
'96 Safari
It isn't for everyone though as many people have spent their whole working life being organised and planning every little detail, so it actually takes a long time and a fair bit of determination to not plan every hour of every day.
Eventually comes the realisation that we are not on vacation and what we can't do or see today, will still be there to do or see tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Google Maps to guide me along.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use our Garmin RV760. Our method of travel, decide on destination first.

We set the Garmin for it, then go off into the sunrise. We get tired, the Garmin will show me the RV parks along the route, find one, call ahead and boom stop for the night. If I plan every minute of my route, takes all the fun out of it.

Tags
trip wizard