Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Habitat RV Care-A-Vanners
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner Video

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted to this thread. Yes, we've been busy working on Habitat projects - both at our local affiliate and with the RV Care-A-Vanner program.

I haven't been keeping track of our "builds" but I'm sure it's over a dozen at this point and we have several planned for this year.

The RV CAV group has released their official promotional video. Take a look and spread the word.

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #16

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. My wife is a really good cook, and for years I have been kicking around a Chuckwagon type enclosed trailer to respond to national disasters. Folks have to eat at a Habitat build too, so maybe I need to get off my duff and build the mobile kitchen.........

Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. My wife is a really good cook, and for years I have been kicking around a Chuckwagon type enclosed trailer to respond to national disasters. Folks have to eat at a Habitat build too, so maybe I need to get off my duff and build the mobile kitchen.........
Motor7,

Your chuckwagon idea sounds great to me. Not only could the chuckwagon be used to support natural disasters but I think Habitat affiliates around the country would be very receptive to the idea.

Some (but not many) affiliates provide lunch for the volunteers. The majority of two-week projects are bring-your-own-bag lunch situations. I think most volunteers would welcome the idea of an RVer making lunch for the group.

Be sure to look at the list of upcoming projects at

RV Care-A-Vanners Program -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

Even if your chuckwagon is months away (or more) from completion you can begin to get an idea of where the projects are held so you can determine how Habitat RV CAV fits into your life.

Good luck with your idea. I hope to see you on a Habitat project someday.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Anyone have any Habitat for Humanity updates? I'd like to hear about your experiences so we can enlist more volunteers for the RV Care-A-Vanner program.

Our recent project in Mandeville, LA was very successful. Our group of 50 volunteers was able to erect walls and install roof trusses on four homes. I'll post pictures at a later date.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #19

The organization "Camper On Mission" is a good place to look for volunteering. The have a national web site and most states have a chapter with their own web site. We work with them just about full time. There are project from 1 week to 4-5 months. PM me if you need more information.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
We've participated in several RV Care-A-Vanner projects since our last post. Anyone had an opportunity to work on one of these projects?

Our projects in the past year have taken us to NE, WV and TX.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #21

I'm an RV Care-A-Vanner and have been for several years. I completed 4 builds this year and 6 last year. I forget how many I did in earlier years. I full time and use South Dakota as my domicile. This year I built in Sioux Falls, SD, and took the opportunity to renew my driver's license and apply for my mail in ballot.

I encourage any rv'er to try the RV Cav's if you have an interest in Habitat for Humanity. All of my experiences have been good. As a full timer this is a way for me to give back to others and help a family get into a house.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
It's been a while since posting here. We've been averaging three "builds" per year and looking forward to a few more next year.

If you've worked on RV CAV projects, or hope to some day, be sure to post your experiences and questions here.

For those of you who will be attending the Florida (Tampa) RV SuperShow in January 2018 be sure to check out the Habitat RV CAV information booth in building A near the Camping World store.