Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner Video

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted to this thread. Yes, we've been busy working on Habitat projects - both at our local affiliate and with the RV Care-A-Vanner program.

I haven't been keeping track of our "builds" but I'm sure it's over a dozen at this point and we have several planned for this year.

The RV CAV group has released their official promotional video. Take a look and spread the word.

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 AM   #16

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. My wife is a really good cook, and for years I have been kicking around a Chuckwagon type enclosed trailer to respond to national disasters. Folks have to eat at a Habitat build too, so maybe I need to get off my duff and build the mobile kitchen.........
Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. My wife is a really good cook, and for years I have been kicking around a Chuckwagon type enclosed trailer to respond to national disasters. Folks have to eat at a Habitat build too, so maybe I need to get off my duff and build the mobile kitchen.........
Motor7,

Your chuckwagon idea sounds great to me. Not only could the chuckwagon be used to support natural disasters but I think Habitat affiliates around the country would be very receptive to the idea.

Some (but not many) affiliates provide lunch for the volunteers. The majority of two-week projects are bring-your-own-bag lunch situations. I think most volunteers would welcome the idea of an RVer making lunch for the group.

Be sure to look at the list of upcoming projects at

RV Care-A-Vanners Program -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

Even if your chuckwagon is months away (or more) from completion you can begin to get an idea of where the projects are held so you can determine how Habitat RV CAV fits into your life.

Good luck with your idea. I hope to see you on a Habitat project someday.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Anyone have any Habitat for Humanity updates? I'd like to hear about your experiences so we can enlist more volunteers for the RV Care-A-Vanner program.

Our recent project in Mandeville, LA was very successful. Our group of 50 volunteers was able to erect walls and install roof trusses on four homes. I'll post pictures at a later date.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #19

The organization "Camper On Mission" is a good place to look for volunteering. The have a national web site and most states have a chapter with their own web site. We work with them just about full time. There are project from 1 week to 4-5 months. PM me if you need more information.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
We've participated in several RV Care-A-Vanner projects since our last post. Anyone had an opportunity to work on one of these projects?

Our projects in the past year have taken us to NE, WV and TX.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #21

I'm an RV Care-A-Vanner and have been for several years. I completed 4 builds this year and 6 last year. I forget how many I did in earlier years. I full time and use South Dakota as my domicile. This year I built in Sioux Falls, SD, and took the opportunity to renew my driver's license and apply for my mail in ballot.

I encourage any rv'er to try the RV Cav's if you have an interest in Habitat for Humanity. All of my experiences have been good. As a full timer this is a way for me to give back to others and help a family get into a house.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
It's been a while since posting here. We've been averaging three "builds" per year and looking forward to a few more next year.

If you've worked on RV CAV projects, or hope to some day, be sure to post your experiences and questions here.

For those of you who will be attending the Florida (Tampa) RV SuperShow in January 2018 be sure to check out the Habitat RV CAV information booth in building A near the Camping World store.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joining the fun!

A recent:
  • retiree,
  • RVer,
  • iRV2er, and,
just joined Care-A-Vanners a month ago. It was nice to stumble across a Care-A-Vanner forum here on iRV2, although, it's not very active.

First assignment coming up in January. Looking forward to it.

Had initially planned our first snowbird trip to the Southwest, but, after thinking about it, decided it was better to spend the time helping others, over just enjoying some nice weather 1,100 miles South!

We will spend some time before and after the assignment(s), just relaxing.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
A recent:
  • retiree,
  • RVer,
  • iRV2er, and,
just joined Care-A-Vanners a month ago. It was nice to stumble across a Care-A-Vanner forum here on iRV2, although, it's not very active.

First assignment coming up in January. Looking forward to it.

Had initially planned our first snowbird trip to the Southwest, but, after thinking about it, decided it was better to spend the time helping others, over just enjoying some nice weather 1,100 miles South!

We will spend some time before and after the assignment(s), just relaxing.
Hi gvjackson - good to hear from you. We typically spend some time before and/or after a Habitat project enjoying the area. There's usually time during the project to do some sightseeing too. Please post pictures and comments regarding your Habitat RV CAV experience.

We recently returned from a two-week project in Lafayette, LA. We met new people, learned a few things, had some good food, met a new Habitat partner family (homebuyer) and had a general good time while helping others.

Habitat is a hand-up, not a hand-out!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Several RV CAVers met at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa recently and staffed an information booth and provided daily seminars to help spread the word at Habitat for Humanity and more specifically, the RV Care-A-Vanner program.

At the SuperShow we made contact with over 1100 people via the booth and seminars. That's HUGE! Several hundred of those points of contact signed up for the monthly newsletter so we hope some new "builders" will be volunteering soon.

Don't overlook the fact that RV CAVers can volunteer in a variety of ways - it's not necessary to swing a hammer or operate a power tool - you can work with Collegiate Challenge to give direction to college students on spring break, take the training to become a Competent Person Safety Trainer (CPST) and train others on the topic of jobsite safety, help out in the ReStore or participate in any number of other ways to support the cause of building decent, affordable housing.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #26

RV Care-A-Vanners in Americus, GA

We just wrapped up a two week build in Americus, GA, the headquarters of Habitat for Humanity International. This build was different from others we've participated in (traditional builds, the Tampa RV show, and collegiate challenge) because we worked on model homes in the Global Village and a "conference center" that will be used by Habitat for public and company events.

Habitat has a 5 site 50 amp FHU campground located about 3 blocks from our work site and all of us worked on various projects ranging from hanging sheet rock, "mudding" sheet rock, sanding, painting (interior and exterior), building a stage, repairing mortar, replacing floor boards, repairing stairs, installing kitchen cabinets, etc.

Check out the website for the RV Care-A-Vanner builds scheduled for 2018 (and check back often, as others are added during the year) here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	199036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	199038  

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	199039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	682.4 KB
ID:	199040  

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	199041  
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
We just wrapped up a two week build in Americus, GA, the headquarters of Habitat for Humanity International. This build was different from others we've participated in (traditional builds, the Tampa RV show, and collegiate challenge) because we worked on model homes in the Global Village and a "conference center" that will be used by Habitat for public and company events.

Habitat has a 5 site 50 amp FHU campground located about 3 blocks from our work site and all of us worked on various projects ranging from hanging sheet rock, "mudding" sheet rock, sanding, painting (interior and exterior), building a stage, repairing mortar, replacing floor boards, repairing stairs, installing kitchen cabinets, etc.

Check out the website for the RV Care-A-Vanner builds scheduled for 2018 (and check back often, as others are added during the year) here:
I have done 2 builds this past summer/fall, Princeton, MN & Lawrence, KS. Have signed up for 1 next July. Hoping to find another 1 or 2 for next summer. Great experience and great people. Volunteered at the H4H restore in New Brighton, MN couple weeks ago. Will be doing that again soon.
Photos from Lawrence, KS. Their 99th build!Click image for larger version

Name:	Where%20we%20started%20LR.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	223489Click image for larger version

Name:	Where%20we%20ended%202.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	223490Click image for larger version

Name:	Where%20we%20ended%201.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	223491Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180918_122118629_HDR.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	223492Click image for larger version

Name:	Lawrence%2C%20KS%20campsite.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	223493
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
2019 Florida RV SuperShow

Thanks for posting pictures of your recent projects. It's always fun to see what's going on around the country.

Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanners will have an information booth at the 2019 Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa, January 16 - 20.

If you're headed to the show, or know somebody who is, be sure to stop by the booth - we're located next to the Camping World "store" in building A. We'll have lots of smiling faces and friendly Care-A-Vanners to answer your questions about the program.