Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Habitat RV Care-A-Vanners
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
New Orleans Habitat Rally Dec 28-30,2010

Join us for a unique opportunity - camping and construction in The Big Easy - this is the 2010 New Orleans Habitat Rally. It's a rally that's not a rally - it's much more!

We'll be staying at Bayou Segnette State Park http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ibyusegne.aspx just outside New Orleans. Make your camping reservations at www.reserveamerica.com The camp sites have water and 50 amp electric. There is a dump station in the campground. I was told the campground has wi-fi but I don't see that listed on the amenities page - you may want to call the campground directly to check on wi-fi availability.

The Habitat for Humanity work days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday December 28, 29 and 30. You can work any one, two or all three days. The work hours are generally 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. All the New Orleans area Habitat houses are within an easy drive of Bayou Segnette S.P. Please sign-up on the rally page and indicate which day(s) you will be working. In early December I will work with Habitat to arrange an assignment for our group. We will likely be able to work together on the same house but there is a chance our group may be assigned to work at more than one site - we will not know for certain until we receive our assignment from Habitat. Even then, the assignments can change on short notice due to weather and other construction issues.

This is a unique rally and I think you'll find it very rewarding. There will be plenty of time for socializing at the campground after work and for visiting local establishments for dining and other fun. Plan to come a day or two early and stay a day or two after. New Year's in New Orleans! Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Lucius

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not familiar with that rally........ Is it a irv2 rally?

pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Good Question

I don't know what constitutes an official rally. So perhaps it's not really a rally. Maybe it's more along the lines of a few friends going camping in New Orleans and they decide to work on a Habitat House.

My wife and I will be there and have enjoyed meeting other RVers through forums like iRV2. I am relatively new to iRV2 so I chose to post under the RV Events & Gatherings. If there's a more appropriate forum I can ask the moderators to move the thread.

Hope to see you there.

Lucius
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
If there's a more appropriate forum I can ask the moderators to move the thread.
This forum is fine for it. You may also want to put it on the iRV2 Calendar.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were down in New Orleans last month and there are builds going on all over. We plan to do 1 or 2 this summer and probably 1 in Dec or Jan. It's too early to tell but we may just seee you there.

We joined the FMCA Habitat For Humanity Chapter and are awaiting our first build with them.

The New Orleans HFH affiliate appreciates even 1 day of help. I attached a link for their build schedule. New Orleans Schedule

Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
We're in Site #17

I just checked our Reserve America confirmation and we are in site 17. So for right now it's a rally/gathering of one!

I realize it's early to be planning for Christmas/New Year but if you want to show your interest (even it's a maybe at this time) here's the link to the sign-up page http://www.irv2.com/forums/calendar....c=1&redirect=1

Lucius
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Me, Two Maybe's and My Brother

I know it's early in the year to be thinking about Christmas but the end of the year will be here before you know it.

So far we have my wife and I in our trailer, two maybe's, and my brother and his wife in a 5th wheel. We hope you can join us for this fun and interesting rally. If the maybe's become definite we'll have enough people to have a pot luck dinner and other activities.

I've also posted this rally on www.airforums.com since my wife and I have an Airstream TT.

Lucius
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Creole String Beans

No it's not the name of a new dish at your favorite restaurant (although it sounds good)... it's the name of a unique band from the New Orleans area.

Creole String Beans - New Orleans, LA - home

Their calendar is not scheduled for December yet but I hope they're playing sometime during the week of the Habitat rally. I'd love to see them. Check out their web page for some video clips.

Lucius
Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We're Still Going to New Orleans

Hello Everyone,

I've been away from the irv2 forum for a while but wanted to check in and let you know Danielle and I are still planning to be in New Orleans for Habitat. Some other rv'ers from another forum are planning to be there. Right now we have 7 people hammerin' and bangin'.

I hope you have time to go camping with us too. Think of it as camping for a cause!

Lucius
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've been away from the irv2 forum for a while but wanted to check in and let you know Danielle and I are still planning to be in New Orleans for Habitat. Some other rv'ers from another forum are planning to be there. Right now we have 7 people hammerin' and bangin'.

I hope you have time to go camping with us too. Think of it as camping for a cause!

Lucius
It is camping for a cause!

Volunteerism is admirable and humbling. I am very glad to see someone trying to pull a Rally around Habitat For Humanity. Most of this group are retires and what the heck else are they going to do with their time? We are not retires but do get a lot of off time in December, no promises but you just might see us there.

MB
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Please Join Us

Hello Explorer2 and other IRV2 members:

Please join us for the Habitat rally. We have 3 rigs signed up from Airforums and a pop-up friend and 5th wheel friend are considering joining us. I hope some members from IRV2 will be there.

For more details check out the thread on Airforums New Orleans Habitat Rally Dec 28-30, 2010 - Airstream Forums

Thanks, Lucius