Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

2004 Arctic Fox 31W

Hello all. Just purchased a 2004 Arctic Fox 31W from a local private party. Had it inspected prior to purchase, only 1 major issue. Fridge doesnt work, ammonia leaked out of cooling unit. Inspector quoted below $1k to replace cooling unit so may go that route, OR buy a newer more efficient unit.

I will be relying on many of you for any info on these older Arctic Fox units

Is replacing the fridge a DYI project or something I need to have a pro have do? (Its a Dometic RM2860)
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #2

If I needed a new one I could do it with basic tools. However I'd look at the original unit and it's overall condition before I put 1K into it. Fit and finish is important for a satisfied "look".

If it's in good to great condition... yeah, I'd spend the money to get it fixed, but considering the age of the unit, my instincts say... replace it.

How much for a new one plus installation? and will the warranty apply if you do a DIY install?

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-refrigerators/
Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Not to take away from the fridge issue, I would replace if it was within my budget. Congratulations on the new to you 31W. The 31W I had was with the rear full bathroom. The only problem I ever had was that it had a very heavy tongue weight.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban350 View Post
Not to take away from the fridge issue, I would replace if it was within my budget. Congratulations on the new to you 31W. The 31W I had was with the rear full bathroom. The only problem I ever had was that it had a very heavy tongue weight.
Thank you! The 31W we bought had the optional Bunk Beds, which take up a little less that half the rear width. But with our 2 little girls, the bunk beds are a better choice. This 31W also has the optional Wardrobe slide out in the master. Based on the only 2004 brochure I could find online, this wasn't an option, maybe it was in 2005 and this was a later 2004 build? The outside sticker is way beyond faded so I cant see that info any longer. This is a rack n pinion slide, which I am sure added a lot of tongue weight to a trailer with a lot of tongue weight to start with.

I don't have my WD hitch yet so I towed it, very carefully, home yesterday and even my 3500HD truck felt that tongue weight back there. Luckily it was a 3 mile distance from the seller to my house and no freeway speeds needed. So I angered some other people on the road with my slow going.

As far as the fridge, a new one *is* within the budget, I just don't want to spend money I don't have to.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Mine had the front wardrobe slide as well and the tongue weight was well over 2000LBS.

On edit I ended up using a Pro-Pride hitch on this trailer and it really did make a difference when towing.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

Sounds like its time to get the whole thing weighed. Cause if mine is similar to yours, a 12klbs 1200# WD isn't gonna be enough.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Sorry I just wish I could remember the exact weight but it was 2 trailers ago, and I weighted it with a tongue jack scale, and yes 1200LBS weight distribution might be to light .
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

My 2008 30U had a 1200 lb tongue weight
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

So I called one of the local RV shops and talked to the guy about a hitch. He said he didn't think I needed anything more than the 12K/1200#TW hitch. He had asked how much my truck squatted when I put the trailer on with just a standard ball and to be honest...you may have needed a level to determine if there was any squat at all. Or, the truck was level and the trailer was slightly nose down. Yeah I have the 4x4...but these Arctic Foxes sit high.

First pic in this link is my truck and trailer without a WD hitch.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/new-t...1w-398133.html
Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
From my experience with that trailer, my 12000lbs hitch did not work that well and the trailer seemed to push my truck around and the only fix was a pro-pride. When I had this trailer I had a 1ton DRW.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #11

My wife isn't going to be very happy with you if you convince me we need a $2600 hitch LMAO.

Would a 14k or 16k hitch work? Honestly the truck doesn't sag in the back. Though on decent dips or bumps, like cross street and the crowned road, the hitch area will porpoise a bit. I had attributed that to the hitch that I was using to get the trailer home and it is definitely not a hitch I would use full time.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

I bought my pro pride used from a member here in the classifieds. They're as rare as hens teeth. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a hensley either. TT averages 9200 to 9500 lbs 1200 tongue weight.

Made a world of difference for me. Towing with 02 Ford Excursion PSD.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Do not know how we got to a hitch question from a fridge question, I guess that was my fault. All I know is that without the Pro-Pride and yes a Hensley will work just as good, my trailer was a handful to tow. This trailer is the reason I purchased a tongue weight scale. This also was not my first AF trailer I had 2 others before my 31W.

On edit my wife was not happy untill I towed with it let me also tell you if you think $2600 is expensive turn that into Canadian money and then ship it to Canada lol......
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #14

LOL, ok back to the fridge. We are most likely going to purchase a new one. The nice lady at Dometic was kind enough to point out that if we replace just the cooling unit, it will have a 1 year parts warranty. A new one will have a 2 year warranty and I can buy a 3 year extended and get 5 total years of coverage. After watching a video, removing the fridge and putting it back in is a whole lot easier than R&R'ing the cooling unit. Paying someone to do the cooling unit is only a couple hundred less than buying a fridge and just replacing it myself.