RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

2018 Nash 23D Slide Seal

Just purchased this trailer to live in full time. So far so good. I'm a little concerned about the slide seal on the top corner of my slide. I've uploaded a picture of the seal. Both corners look similar but this is the worse one.

I'm bringing it into the dealership mid-December to get a slide topper and will have them take a look at this slide seal.

I'm in the wet Pacific NW and would like to know if this is something I should address immediately. If so, how? Do all slide seals look like this on the Nash so it's a tight seal when it slides in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0134.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	227356   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0135.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	227357  

micky_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #2

That's a wiper seal.....main seal is behind that, and could be attached to slide....

Old 11-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That's a wiper seal.....main seal is behind that, and could be attached to slide....
So I'm assuming this wiper seal is just responsible for removing all the debris from my slide when I'm bringing the slide in.

Is this something I should patch up myself immediately, or just wait a couple more weeks to let the dealership handle? I don't want to void my warranty but I also don't want a leaky slide on my new trailer.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Let the dealer make the call.......when I replaced mine, I overlapped the top of side seals with the top wiper.....mine was this way from factory so went back the same way....and yes, that's the wipers job..Mine has a track that the wiper slides into to hold it in place that's attached to the wall.....also mine has a screw thru it at the upper end that the top wiper covers......303 is a good product to use on the seale and wipers
Old 11-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

Uploaded a photo of our Nash 23D of the same location. It appears your gasket has come loose from the groove in the aluminum track on the top. I had similar issues with mine and I was able to reinsert it without much of an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181128_110425.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	227438  
BobGuidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies Bobs! I noticed the gasket was not screwed in (the silver screws are behind it). I tried inserting it back in the groove but it still pops out. I guess it's a little enlightening to know that someone else with a Nash 23D had the same issue.

I think I'll just wait to and see what the dealer says in December. I'm nervous to use something like 303 in case that voids my warranty. Unfortunately I don't have the right screw driver to re-insert the screws thru the gasket so I'll just wait and have the dealership screw the wiper seal back in.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #7

303 is just a UV protectant.....
Old 11-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On my slide seals I spray on some silicon on them about every 2 months. To get the seal in the rear, I'll pull the wiper seal back and spray the rear main seal. On the back of the wiper seal, as I'm pulling it back I'll spray it on my fingers and wipe it on it's unseen read side.

Same thing with my baggage doors and entry door rubber seals, about every 2 months they get a little silicon. I use the Aerospace 303 on my tires and spare tire cover.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

You may not want to touch the screw located behind the hole at the top of that seal. That disconnects the electric motorhead for that side so it can be manually moved in and out. one of those on each side.

I used a silicone based seal lubricant on the seals also. Sprayed it on a cloth to carefully do the outside and sprayed it on my fingers to lubricate the inside of the seal.

Bob
BobGuidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #10

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm not going to touch this until the dealership looks at it. I will purchase some silicone (with the e at the end!) in order to preserve this rubber. I'll use the Aerospace 303 on my tires once I bring it back to my parking spot.

About every 45-60 days I plan on doing general RV maintenance. Checking battery water, run the onboard generator a little while, turn furnace on, check AC filter, etc.. I'll add the silicone and tire maintenance to the list. I can see why my neighbors have tire covers now, didn't think about UV damage since it's rain season now.

Thanks again everyone!

Tags
gasket, nash, nash 23d, seal, slide, wipers