RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

AF winterizing

Considering using my compressor to winterize my 27-5L versus having my RV shop filling the lines with antifreeze this year. Sounds pretty straight forward. Bypass & empty the hot water heater, connect the compressor to the city water inlet, blowout all the lines, put some antifreeze in all the traps. Am I missing anything? Suggested compressor pressure?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

You should be good for 60 psi water pressure, I wouldn't go over that with air pressure.

I'm also a devoted fan of driving south to winterize. Put a snow blower on top of your rig right by the ladder. When people stop asking how you got that thing up there, and start asking what that thing is...... you're winterized. Stay there until spring.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Drain water filter and any sediment bowls. Outside shower, drain/blow out. Pump through water pump and city water connection.
19fisherman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

Unfortunately some of us aren’t retired yet �� but that brought a smile to my face! Give me a few years & I’ll head south from October to maybe April ☺️
Old 09-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

I don't trust just blowing the water out. It's really easy to put the pink stuff in your AF. Your pump is under the closet at the entry. Take out the screws to access. There is a short hose and valve to the pump. Bypass your water heater and set the pump valve for the hose extension. Stick the end in your bottle and open faucets one at a time til the pink appears. Don't forget your outside shower. Splash a bit of pink in each drain when you are done. Be sure to pull the plug on the hot water heater. I like to tow mine a bit to be sure I have all the drain lines cleared. A couple of drops of canola oil to cover the toilet waste. Takes me about 15 minutes and 2 gallons of pink stuff.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #6

I've never used the pink stuff in any of my 3 trailers I've owned. Haven't had the current one through a winter yet but will be just blowing the lines like I did in the past.

Disclaimer, I live in the valley in Oregon so we don't get long extended sub freezing temps. Your sig says Bend so you'll get colder for longer stretches than I do.
If I were in Bend I would pump the pink stuff in and sleep better at night.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

My winterization method for the last three years has been to winter in Yuma. Prior to that I wintered in NW Montana. Pink stuff was mandatory. I'd use air if winter got above freezing most days and never got below zero at night. Pink stuff is less than $10 for 2 gallons. Cheap insurance.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
Considering using my compressor to winterize my 27-5L versus having my RV shop filling the lines with antifreeze this year. Sounds pretty straight forward. Bypass & empty the hot water heater, connect the compressor to the city water inlet, blowout all the lines, put some antifreeze in all the traps. Am I missing anything? Suggested compressor pressure?
I have the reg set at 50psi

The air runs through a desiccant filter....don't want oil in the water lines.

If this is the first time check the waterlines just to make sure there are no loops or dips where water not blown out might collect in the fittings.

After you're done all the faucet/shower valves can be left open

I use windshield washer fluid for the traps and in the tanks for the dump valves and I like to disconnect the water pump.
35' 5thCustomized-16"Frame-240gFW-120gBlack-120gGrey-2"XPSTank Insulation-2x8K TimbrenSTI-TusonABS -900AhCrownFLA -BlueSea8264 -3KVictronMulti+GX+600W Xantrax-2K Solar-ARP Alarm-100gal ASME Propane -50A ProNautic-Propex 2800-2x300C Viair-17.5 Alcoa+TOYO1430
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #9

Winterized mine today:

1. Drained fresh water holding tank. (Gray and black already emptied)

2. Opened low point drains and switched WH to bypass finction

3. Winterized Truma WH (15 seconds to open winterization port and remove filter.)

4. Remove and drain Splendide W/D supply hoses (after winterizing Splendide according to mfr. instructions.)

5. Inject 40psi air from compressor to city water port. This adapter is precision machined and works flawlessly:

I obtained it on amazon for $10. It is called the Winterize Mfg Heavy-Duty Quick Connect Blow Out Plug for RV

6. Opened and drained water (under air pressure) from faucets, W/D supply outlets, shower and toilet.

7. Added RV antifreeze to all traps and toilet.

8. Removed batteries (kept on battery tender for winter storage season).

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
My winterization method for the last three years has been to winter in Yuma. Prior to that I wintered in NW Montana. Pink stuff was mandatory. I'd use air if winter got above freezing most days and never got below zero at night. Pink stuff is less than $10 for 2 gallons. Cheap insurance.

I agree, from N. Idaho and winter in Quartzsite.

Rich49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter