Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Arctic Fox 27-5 Towing with Ram

I have a 2015 Ram short box and we are looking at purchasing an Arctic Fox fifth wheel. I'm concerned that there may not be enough clearance between the bed and the fifth wheel. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, maybe there may be another fifth wheel make that I could look into.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Hi,

Perhaps you might expound on the area that you feel might have clearance problems. Do you mean the top of the bed rails in the area of the pin box? Clearance while turning and the cab?
4x4?
What hitch setup are you anticipating?
Have you done some actual measurements?
There are great numbers of Ram owners, and Artic Fox has a pretty good reputation as well.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

I have 2 friends with short box Dodge trucks... in each case, each of them have bumped the coach against the cab.. both have finally purchased a hitch that allows them to shift the trailer back 10-12" when they back up... or if you have a 3500 you might consider just moving the hitch back based on how much pin weight you have and how your truck handles that weight...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
I have a 2015 Ram short box and we are looking at purchasing an Arctic Fox fifth wheel. I'm concerned that there may not be enough clearance between the bed and the fifth wheel. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, maybe there may be another fifth wheel make that I could look into.
For sufficient space between top of bed side rails and the bottom of the 5th wheel "overhang":

Lot of this depends on what hitch you use. From what I understand, the hitch head will sit higher on some than on others. Some hitches allow you to adjust the head up or down, and I believe most pin boxes can be adjusted up or down. These adjustments will increase/decrease the gap between your trailer and the top of your bed rails.

Then you could run into problems of the trailer not being level, front to back, when you have sufficient gap between truck and trailer.

If you are talking about clearance between the back window area and the corner of the 5th wheel when making tight turns:

Slider hitch. They make auto sliders (like Pullrite Superglide) which will shift the trailer backwards on tight turns to provide the needed clearance. They also make manual sliders, where you shift it back manually when you know you are going to be making a tight turn.

Many have reported on newer 5th wheels, they are designing the front cap to be rounded at the front most corners to provide clearance for tight turns, and that a slider hitch may not be necessary.

I think in any case, your best bet will be to get a hitch installed and go to your dealer and ask to hook up to your model of choice and see how everything fits together.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

2015 RAM.............1500, 2500, 3500?????????

Measure from center of Kin Pin to the side of 5th wheel.........then measure from center of bed directly over rear axle to cab

King Pin to side measurement Larger then center of rear axle to cab..........WHACK!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Just to clarify the clearance that I am concerned about. The top of the bed rail to the area where the pin box is attached to the 5th wheel. I do not have a hitch installed so I can't back in and hook up for a test check.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
Just to clarify the clearance that I am concerned about. The top of the bed rail to the area where the pin box is attached to the 5th wheel. I do not have a hitch installed so I can't back in and hook up for a test check.
Try posting that question over here.

Tow Vehicles, TV Tires, Hitches, Brake Controllers & Towing Questions - Northwood RV Owners Association Forum
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #8

Here is my experience with a 2013 RAM 3500..76" box and 2014 AF 25-5L. I'm not sure if Northwood raised chassis ground clearance on newer 27-5L..you should check. I had extended conversations with Northwood Feb 2014 when we bought hence my approach attached Feb 2014. Good luck.

"Got my Pullrite hitch installed today. Set the FW on it and got another inch on the weight. The estimated clearance with the FW level is approx 5 inches. Still looking for at least 6". Could have the front end up an inch which would work. I've decided to go with a two inch subframe. Here's why. Didn't know what to do with $1600..kidding. I talked to rep at Airborne. He stated should be running at least 7 inches. Think he is covering his ***. His approach is for a 5 degree lest you need 7.3" on a 48" span. He stated no issues running your rig up 2 to 3 inches in the front. Suspension will cover that variance. Other reason, I'm a bit risk adverse and would like the added clearance. Also I get a level FW. Interesting as the 2012 RAM is 2 inches lower than the 13 and 14 RAMs, according to RAM specs. Would have been perfect. Getting the sub frame installed Monday and hopefully in our back yard late afternoon. I'll get pictures out as soon as the snow is gone and warms up. The shop I'm having the work done wasn't fussy about the Correct Trac as there preference was to weld to the frame. Did not get into a debate with them as three installers seem to agree best approach was a subframe but could adjust to get 5" level. "
Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #9

Have a 2015 Ram 3500 and a 2015 Arctic fox 5th wheel (355 Z)

Here's what we use. Purchased a Reese bed rail kit mounting adapter and use a
B & W Patriot hitch.
No clearance problems whatsoever.
kotz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing