RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #1

Question Arctic Fox 27-5L vs 29-5T

My wife and I went out looking last weekend. I've been torn between Class C's and the 5th wheels. I was pleasantly surprised to hear my wife say she preferred the 5'er to the motor homes. I really like the 27-5 on "paper" but I had never seen one in person. I really like it. I was surprised to hear my wife say she preferred the larger 29-5T. I must admit it is a nice trailer.

Likes on the 27-5
The 30' length.
Completely usable with the slides in. Except the pantry, but that easy to deal with.
The open areas next the bed. I'd hate the closed in feeling and I could maybe even bring and use my cpap for a change.
Love this floor plan and living space.

Dislikes on the 27-5
The way the door opens to the head.
The way the closet doors open up against the bed. Sliders of some sort might work better.
It seems like the counter tops were lower than some of the other units I've looked at. Maybe just a perception thing.
I really hate the new entry steps. The Northwood rep from their facebook page says I can still order with the old steps, but I imagine that will end very soon.
The 3 piece couch is a huge disappointment. It slid away from the center section just sitting down.
Hard to find them on lots. This dealership had a “sold” '19 we could walk through, but none there to buy.

Likes on the 29-5T
The large rear window and extra seats. I envisioned a smaller, more comfortable table and chair there for eating. The general versatility with this has all kinds of nice options.
I think I like the split head and shower. That might change after using it but at least the door to the head is more user friendly.
There is a ton of storage in the bedroom. Way more room than we need now. This would come in handy for extended trip or travel camping.
50 amp options are included with all units at this dealership. One unit had twin A/C's. All 3 units were '18's with the more desirable steps.
The option to order with the larger fridge. All three units on the lot had the smaller one so this is kind of a wash.
Huge front storage area. <Talk about storage envy.>
Dislikes on the 29-9T
Longer length. I really wanted to stay at or under 30'. This is closer to 34'
Not as usable with slide in. You could still get by, but not open like the 27-5.
TV not as viewable from seating. Not that I watch TV now, but the option might be nice.
Not as much work space or cabinets space in kitchen. Particularly for larger items.
Low counter height here as well, It sure would be nice if Northwood raised them up a bit.

Right now, I mostly camp in the forest around Northern California. More of my friends are getting RV's and wanting to do park camping. I'm not sure I care for this yet but I'm always willing to get away. As I start thinking about doing some traveling trips, I wonder how the extra length would limit my choices. I know the coast would pretty much be out of the question. I can't get my Nash into a lot of those campgrounds already. If there are larger lots, they're reserved far in advance.

I can't picture myself dragging that 29-5 into the place I go now. Could I get it in there? Sure. Would I want to? No. Who else has pondered these two trailers? What were some of your deciding factors? Would you make the same choice if you had it to do over again? I'm still leaning towards the 27-5 if for no other reason than the length. Well that and I'd like to make my current truck work until the new/next gen Rams comes out in a 3500.<Please, no lectures on this, I understand what this means> I hope next year. I like the looks of the new 1500. I don't think I would feel comfortable with the 29-5T.

I'd really like to hear what others think about these two trailers. Perhaps what swayed you in your direction.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

We have the 27-5L and love it for the reasons you mentioned. We had a longer one and it was just too much for us as we are not full timers.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

I have a 29' Keystone 5ver, and I don't think I would want to go longer (similar state/NP usage). Seems like the 27-5L has gone up to 8.5' wide as well? The weights are higher that I would like, but if I get a new truck they may work.

We recently bought the Keystone (used). Bedroom storage is limited (no BR slide), but weight is much less than AF. I like the split shower/toilet in our floorplan, and the two swivel chairs. I will probably modify the dinette (shorten one seat) to make it more usable with the slide closed. If I were making the perfect rig for us, I'd probably drop the sofa and shorted the rig another foot or so.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

My vote would be for the 27-5L. We have a FM 235 now and it would only be 1'7" longer. We're at 27'10 now. The 5L has monster tanks and the living area is wide open. Like you we don't live in front to f the tv but when we do it's nice to have everything where it needs to be.
Both or most in the 30-34' range have trade offs. Our favorite thing about our 235 is the big open bath area. Lots of room to shower and dress. Having the separate head is a plus too.
I'd also add in that the fiberglass rear cap is a rare standard item in the price range of a 27-5L. That and the 8'6" width is also a bonus. Very few 5th wheels that short that are 8'6"W. None that I know off anyway. Thats 3" more width at the sides of the bed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

Living in our 29-5T

My husband and I just brought our 29-5T home. It's in our front yard while we remodel and sell the house! We went to look at the 27-5L and were pretty set on it because of the 30 foot length, etc. until we got inside. My husband is a computer guy and that morning before he left said he wanted to keep his computer which has 2 screens. We went into the 27-5L and spent some time in it. We liked it a lot but, there was absolutely NO space for his computer. There was a 29-5T next to us and we went in. We spent 5 hours between the two of them and decided on the 29-5T. We will be fulltiming in it. I hope the length won't be a problem but I know he wouldn't be happy without his space. In order to fit the computer we got rid of the couch. We still have the airbed and need to try it out and see if it will fit by the table if we turn it sideways :-) I also really like the bedroom with the little side ledges and the shower with a seat. We've slept in it two nights and I think the bed is nice. Cooked my first eggs this am and the alarms went off. They say that when you first turn on the heat or use the propane on a new one it will do that so I didn't fret. Now, we need to learn everything as we have never had a RV of any kind but have always tent camped.
I've been moving things in today and can see that I will need to do some serious organizing and figure out how and where to store things to make them more accessible. I'd love to hear what others do! I'm glad we chose the longer one to live in, if it was occasional camping I think the 27 5-L would be great too.
If you have a 29-5T and can share how you decided to set things up, what you used to organize, etc. I'd love to hear it! Thanks.
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

We have a 29-5T and love it. Lots of storage and ours has the huge fridge/freezer that my wife loves. I put a slide storage tray in the underneath side to side cavity and that makes getting to things in the storage much easier. Pulls out from either side. Will be heading out Sat to Glacier NP, then to Great Falls to Custer area SD, Cody WY, Yellowstone, Twin Falls ID, then on to the Ruby Valley in northern NV.
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain ol Bil View Post
We have a 29-5T and love it. Lots of storage and ours has the huge fridge/freezer that my wife loves. I put a slide storage tray in the underneath side to side cavity and that makes getting to things in the storage much easier. Pulls out from either side. Will be heading out Sat to Glacier NP, then to Great Falls to Custer area SD, Cody WY, Yellowstone, Twin Falls ID, then on to the Ruby Valley in northern NV.
Did you make the slide storage or buy it? I went and bought a bunch of baskets and have the kitchen stocked (though I will probably rearrange it again :-) ). I haven't put anything else in yet. I want to get a suction cup towel bar if they have one to put in the shower to hang the bath mat between showers. I got a little caddy to hang in there too.

Is there anything else you have done to save space? Where do you keep things? Are you the one that puts the indoor broom under the bed? We just drove back from South Dakota last week and went through Custer and Ruby Valley. We don't set out again until July....first stop, Sparks Nevada to look for some rental property to buy, and visit my daughter and little grandson :-) I'm trying to get set up for Rv driving school. I'm a bit nervous about it but I have to remind myself that there are a LOT of people out there driving RVs and they are still alive and in tact :-)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #8

The sliding tray I put in was Moryde CTG60-2390W. SURE made getting to things in there easier. I had room on the side away from the utilities cover up to set one of those handy dandy do everything ladders from the big box store in there on its side. Hope I don't ever have to use it either. Front storage has two Honda generators, an air compressor, plastic tub with sewer hoses and four outdoors chairs. In the front closet my wife got a couple of compression type curtain rods and put them across the two shelves so she could put "stuff" on them without it falling out while traveling. Plastic containers under the bed to hold canned goods (about 10 cans in each). Container size makes handling things easier and organization.
Get a labeler with some clear tape and white lettering (I found it at Amazon) to label all the dark colored light switches, knobs and dials with to alleviate the frustration of where in the hell is the light switch for this light. The clear tape with white lettering looks good.
Go to the big box store and buy yourself an extendable tree limbing saw. Also get a small pkg of EMT tubing clips the size of the handle diameter. Put the clips on the overhead of the storage area and put the saw in the clips for storage. It is out of the way overhead then. I turned the blade straight up, extended my saw and measured 13' 6" and marked the handle with a marker. If you get in an area you wonder if you have clearance or not get the saw, extend it to the mark, rest the butt on the ground and if it touches a branch cut it off or *^%$#$%^&. Trust me -- the time WILL come you need that saw!
You have a crank that will lower the spare tire out from under the trailer. I got the right size EMT clips for that and a four way lug wrench and put them on the wall of the door side of the storage area. I also mounted my tire pressure gauge there. Now you know where they are when you need them and pray you don't ever need them yourself.
Enough for now - will keep you posted as I think of things and hope you do the same from your end. Two air conditioners or one there. We have two.
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain ol Bil View Post
The sliding tray I put in was Moryde CTG60-2390W. SURE made getting to things in there easier. I had room on the side away from the utilities cover up to set one of those handy dandy do everything ladders from the big box store in there on its side. Hope I don't ever have to use it either. Front storage has two Honda generators, an air compressor, plastic tub with sewer hoses and four outdoors chairs. In the front closet my wife got a couple of compression type curtain rods and put them across the two shelves so she could put "stuff" on them without it falling out while traveling. Plastic containers under the bed to hold canned goods (about 10 cans in each). Container size makes handling things easier and organization.
Get a labeler with some clear tape and white lettering (I found it at Amazon) to label all the dark colored light switches, knobs and dials with to alleviate the frustration of where in the hell is the light switch for this light. The clear tape with white lettering looks good.
Go to the big box store and buy yourself an extendable tree limbing saw. Also get a small pkg of EMT tubing clips the size of the handle diameter. Put the clips on the overhead of the storage area and put the saw in the clips for storage. It is out of the way overhead then. I turned the blade straight up, extended my saw and measured 13' 6" and marked the handle with a marker. If you get in an area you wonder if you have clearance or not get the saw, extend it to the mark, rest the butt on the ground and if it touches a branch cut it off or *^%$#$%^&. Trust me -- the time WILL come you need that saw!
You have a crank that will lower the spare tire out from under the trailer. I got the right size EMT clips for that and a four way lug wrench and put them on the wall of the door side of the storage area. I also mounted my tire pressure gauge there. Now you know where they are when you need them and pray you don't ever need them yourself.
Enough for now - will keep you posted as I think of things and hope you do the same from your end. Two air conditioners or one there. We have two.
THANK YOU! So many helpful suggestions. I haven't done too much yet. I bought a suction cup caddy for the shower. I want to get a suction cup towel bar but can't find any I like. I found an over the cabinet door towel holder for the kitchen but haven't bought it yet. I've mostly filled the kitchen with some plastic baskets with handles I found at big lots. I'm thinking about getting some spice clips for the inside of a cupboard door to give me more shelf space. The more I put in the less I want to keep :-) My husband suggested putting the towels in a nice basket on the seat of the shower to make more room in the bathroom cabinets too.

I still have tons of stuff to store that is in the house......aahhh!!! At least I don't have to go far to get it though. We're in the front yard :-)

I just signed up for RV driving lessons too...I'm enjoyng driving the RAM 3500 aroound though :-)

I hope I can think of a great idea you haven't thought of yet so that I can be helpful :-) Have a great week end!

We have one air conditioner. Thanks so much for all those tips!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old Nash 22h owner here.....

"surprised to hear my wife say she preferred the larger 29-5T."

Happy wife, happy life. You better get the 29-5T.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #11

Don't know if you are still looking, but I'll weigh in. We have a 2016 27-5 and are very happy with it. Closet doors have not been an issue, Lots of storage, my wife even gave me a whole shelf of my own. Our bedroom door opens in. I think Northwood changed the swing for egress reasons. I'd change it if I got a new one. We removed the door in the closet area. It is awkward and we don't have company so didn't need it. If you can, get rid of any of the couch choices. We removed ours and replaced it with two small recliners. Left two of the dining chairs at home. I'd recommend getting the auto level jacks as a major option. Also consider the 50 amp option if you live or travel in areas that remain in the upper 80s at night. We love the big window in the 29-5, but didn't think the extra 5', smaller kitchen and long distance to the TV were worth the trade off. Either rig takes a diesel truck and if you travel a lot, you might want to consider a disc brake upgrade later on. It all boils down to personal preference and I think you'll be happy with either one.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #12

We are on the large side where we live but I don't think we would go smaller...

BTW, I am an IT guy too and am build a computer center under the TV..

We do parks as well as RV parks..
Old 09-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #13

Happy owner of a 295T as of yesterday. Went with this model for 2 reasons. 1. Love the open back end and 2. The kitchen in the back of the 295K makes the rig too heavy. 295T has the kitchen which is the heaviest part in the middle. Distributes the load better.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #14

We opted for the 29-5T over the 27-5L because of the greater closet space which as full-timers we felt would be needed.

The smaller size of the 27-5L would make finding places to camp easier--there are a _great many_ places we cannot go because of our size, and that's not just campgrounds but roads we can travel. Finding campgrounds that can accommodate us has been at times very challenging and very time consuming.

We can access most everything inside the RV with the slides pulled in. There aren't many situations where we need to access the RV interior with the slides in. For us it's usually just travel days when we want to have lunch or use the bathroom. We extend our slides at Walmarts and other free overnight sites on those nights we camp there.

With the larger fridge option in the 29-5T you will lose the pantry. We find the smaller fridge large enough for the two of us full-timing.

We opted for the smaller water heater. 10 gallons seems plenty. We can do the dishes and both take showers without running out of hot water. Why heat water you don't need to or add extra weight to the RV?

We also opted not to get the OEM recliners or couch. When ordering from the factory you can opt out of these for a credit. We put a desk in place of the couch and found recliners we preferred over the OEM recliners that we found uncomfortable. We also opted out of the mattress in favor of our own.

We chose the queen bed over the king because a queen is what we were used to and with the king bed option you loose the end tables which we really wanted.

We chose to go with one 15K mid profile air-conditioner. I think with a second A/C you lose the bedroom skylight, but don't quote me on that. If not the skylight then the fan for sure. We didn't want the noise of an A/C right on top of our heads when trying to sleep. I don't think the low profile A/C buys you much in the way of lower clearance because the crown in the roof is only an inch or two lower than the mid profile A/C and the low profile ACs are noisier, but don't quote me on that either. I know we opted for the mid profile 15K after careful consideration but just don't remember clearly now what all the reasons were.

You might be able to opt out of the roof ladder to open up the rear view on the 29-5T but then you'd need another way to get up there.

I inquired on the Northwood Owners Assoc. web site what use people found for the OEM roof rack on the 29-5T and the answers were largely humorous and practical uses were few and far between if any at all. It might be little more than a branch catcher for most folks. For me it's but a hand-hold as I climb onto and off of the roof. You might be able to opt out of that too.

There are things we like about our 29-5T and things we don't, build quality highest on the list of things we don't. Ours is a 2018, built we think during a year of good business when it is said build quality may suffer due to more inexperienced workers having been hired or the rush to build more units. Many people are very happy with the build quality of their Arctic Foxes. We are not.

Also note that the advertised pin weight of the 29-5T may be inaccurate by hundreds of pounds, the true weight being heavier, and be very careful about how much weight you can add to the RV in terms of cargo. We found the way these things are expressed in the literature to be confusing if not inaccurate and we overstimated what we could actully bring on board and underestimated the actual in weight. It's a good thing we bought a dually because I think we'd be over the capacity of a single rear wheel truck. I once inquired with a Northwood rep about the advertised weights and was told something to the effect that the company had not updated the advertising literature since they went to the crowned roof design although a quick glimpse at the current literature makes it seem they may have updated the numbers. The company also makes claims such as the chassis being "certified" when I cannot find any standard to which it is certified--I don't think there is one--and that they use "aerospace 'interface' grid technology" (sticker on the side of our RV) when in fact no such thing exists. There is something called "interference" grid technology and Northwood appears to use that (testing provided by Pacific West Associates) but the inclusion of the word "aerospace" in Northwood's advertising appears to be hyperbole and the word "interface" is incorrect... the correct term being interference.

RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote