Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Fox Mountain 25RKS - is One 15K A/C unit enough is the heat of the summer?

Good Afternoon,

Looking for some real world advice as we live in the Phoenix area and frequently camp in higher elevation, cooler areas but they can still get hot in the summer. Can anyone tell me how these do with a single A.C unit? I don't see the option to add an additional unit. Thanks.

Paul

AZPaulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPaulc View Post
Good Afternoon,

Looking for some real world advice as we live in the Phoenix area and frequently camp in higher elevation, cooler areas but they can still get hot in the summer. Can anyone tell me how these do with a single A.C unit? I don't see the option to add an additional unit. Thanks.

Paul
I think you have a 30A service input which would be a problem running two a/c units and other stuff. Your best option is probably upgrading to the 15,000btu unit since it is ducted and should meet your needs in your area. It is possible to add an additional unit in the bed room upper vent but you would need a separate power source to plug into the pedestal. Good luck.

Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

I have a FM 235 with the 13.5 AC. It's pretty close to the size you're looking at. It will cool down the Fox okay until the temps reach 90*. We just cancelled a trip because the temps were 104 and 103 for two of the four days we were going to be there. The other two days were going to be in the high 90's. BTDT and if it's 103* outside then its 85-90* inside. No thanks. A lot depends on shade and where your bigger windows are. Our rear window is big and faces the south when we stay there. (River view is why). The bedroom is several degrees hotter since heat rises.
Owned our Fox for 5 years and we've come to the conclusion that the AC will cool it down about 10-15* below the outside temp. We set the thermostat to 75 and leave it their 24/7. So we're trying to get a jump on the heat by cooling down the Fox early in the morning.
If you're ordering then maybe the 15K will work better. Two AC's would be the ticket thats for sure.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Lots of people are putting mini splits on their units. I put a 12k 110v unit on my Teton. It only pulls at max 7 amps. They are very quiet. Easy to install also. Come precharged with Freon. You can find youtube videos of this.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

If your roof is white then, there are only a few things you can do to improve performance. Window film, put rigid insulation cut outs in the vent openings, window shades, etc. Make sure the vents for the hot water heater and the frig are clear so any residual heat is removed. I have a 2007 Nash 27F with a 13.5 btu AC and have no issues cooling in Florida. Original unit.

One thing you can do is get a laser temperature gun (lots of uses, good to have) and check for hot spots on your trailer and how cool the AC is blowing.

***Also good for checking brake temperature and hubs.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

A 17F is considerably smaller inside than a 255, plus quite a bit taller inside. I could see where you'd have no problem cooling your 17K. Smaller and fewer windows as well.
As an owner of a smaller FM 235 IMO the OP will struggle with on AC.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

If you line any upper cabinets with Reflectix, you'll have a head start on the sun.....and a portable fan also is a plus...
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Any reflective material needs vented air space to work or it actually has the reverse effect. Laws of physics apply.
Why Is An Air Gap Required For Radiant Barrier To Work? | The Radiant Barrier Guru
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #9

There is an air space.....nothing fits as it should!....lol....works just fine in my unit..
Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #10

If cooling is an issue only sometimes... I'd get a 120V portable unit. Out your way an evaporative unit would probably be the way to go.

Tags
heat