RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Lowering Front of Arctic Fox

When my Fox is attached to the RAM and ready to travel, it is not level. The front is higher than the rear. The Companion Hitch is already at the lowest setting and although I haven't measured with a stick, there is approximately 8" or more clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the Fox.

So, I think if I lower the front end by adjusting the Fox's Morryde hitch, I could still have necessary bed clearance and have a 'more' level Fox. The bolt patterns are about 2 1/2" apart, so to move the hitch to the only other pattern, would raise the hitch (thus lowering the front of the Fox) 2 1/2". Sounds great in theory.

But, here is the dilemma. There is only about 2" of open space between movable hitch and the bottom of the front fiberglass cap. It seems the "adjustable" Morryde hitch isn't adjustable on this Fox.

I'm going to attempt to attach 2 photos to show what I'm attempting to say.

Does this seem right and am I stuck with the ride height? (and yes, I do NOT want to cut the cap)

Bolt Pattern and Clearance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt Pattern.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	253242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Clearance.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	253243  

CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have no answer, but I know the ride towing my 29.5E improved radically when I lowered mine about two inches to get it perfectly level.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What model Arctic Fox ? DO you have a pic showing truck and trailer together?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Raise the trailer. It may be as simple as adjusting the spring eyes in the already supplied holes. Or as complicated as removing everything and adding a subframe to get you the additional height
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Hello CalCamp,
MY good friend and RV buddy had the same problem with his Chevy 350 and Jayco 5th. You have to be careful on the clearance between the bottom of the 5th and the truck bed, especially when making a turn. There is only so much you can adjust. One thing that you can check how the axles are mounted. You can gain a couple of inches by raising the axle which raises the back. There is only so much you can do to minimize this situation. My friend just lives with the difference.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3960
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Chip View Post
I don't have such a pic. I can tell you I could barely notice any tilt in the 5th wheel visually before I leveled it properly, but I would notice that going over speed bumps the front axle barely bumped while the rear produced a big hard bouce, so I knew the weight wasn't distributed properly on the axles. Then I checked my level while hitched and on level ground. Another symptom I had was the 5th wheel bouncing/chunking the truck hard when going over bumps. I considered putting an air-ride pin box on to correct this for $1,000. Glad I didn't because simply leveling the 5th wheel eliminated that almost completely.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrc12 View Post
Did you ever find a solution for this?
Certainly not in the short time between my post and your's, but I'm still looking.

Quote:
I have a 2019 27-5. I do have a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Raise the trailer. It may be as simple as adjusting the spring eyes in the already supplied holes. Or as complicated as removing everything and adding a subframe to get you the additional height
I don't want to raise my rear, I want to lower the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Hello CalCamp,
MY good friend and RV buddy had the same problem with his Chevy 350 and Jayco 5th. You have to be careful on the clearance between the bottom of the 5th and the truck bed, especially when making a turn. There is only so much you can adjust. One thing that you can check how the axles are mounted. You can gain a couple of inches by raising the axle which raises the back.
I am being careful with the clearance between the bottom of the 5th and the bed rails. Although my original post estimated the clearance at 8" or more, I measured this morning and found I have 9". I would rather have less clearance and a more level Fox.

Any adjustment of the axles (currently below the springs) would not appreciably affect bed rail clearance at the front of the Fox, only the height of the rear of the Fox. Again, I'm not trying to raise the rear.

BTW, my previous Fox ('04 24-5N with 80k miles) only had 4" clearance with no issues.

I do appreciate your thoughts, everyone. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

From someone who knowing about this as mine is pretty close to level, I think the question is, at what point is it an issue? At what point of the front of the 5ver being slightly higher than the rear is it a problem? Obviously any extreme is no good. And from someone who will spend the extra time making sure Iím perfectly perpendicular to the curb in front of my house when I pull up to stage it before we leave for a trip (we donít store it at our house but are fortunate enough to have nice wide streets so we have it there for a few days before we leave), optics come into play. But when should someone actually be concerned?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrc12 View Post
Did you ever find a solution for this?
I'm still on my maiden voyage. I'll stop by my shop next month and see if anything can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
From someone who knowing about this as mine is pretty close to level, I think the question is, at what point is it an issue? At what point of the front of the 5ver being slightly higher than the rear is it a problem? . . . But when should someone actually be concerned?
I haven't described the front being higher than the rear as an "issue", a "problem", or even a "concern". What I was asking is if anyone had any ideas for lowering the front ride-height of the Fox or if I was stuck with what I had.

I can see some benefit from lowering the front. First, is overhead clearance. Is 2 1/2" a really big deal (I think I'm still under 13' 6", but haven't checked it)? No, not a big deal. Is it going to keep me from traveling? No again. Will it keep branches from scratching the roof? Probably not as I avoid them anyway.

Second, towing this brick is different than my 24-5N. Much more frontal area in the wind. Will diminishing this frontal area 'in the wind' by 2 1/2" help? Yes it will, IMHO. Help a whole lot? Probably not a whole lot. If I only gained 1/10 of a mile per gallon (pretty insignificant), I would only have saved 6 gallons of fuel on this maiden voyage so far.

Having a level Fox in tow is a preference.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

You're probably overloading the rear axle.....move the pin box up, which if you think about it, the front axle works just like a teeter totter.....front comes down, rear goes up....but not equally due to the axle not being in center from front to back.....6" is about the min bed rail clearance if you come out west.......driveway transitions to streets and fuel stations...
Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCamp View Post
When my Fox is attached to the RAM and ready to travel, it is not level. The front is higher than the rear. The Companion Hitch is already at the lowest setting and although I haven't measured with a stick, there is approximately 8" or more clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the Fox.

So, I think if I lower the front end by adjusting the Fox's Morryde hitch, I could still have necessary bed clearance and have a 'more' level Fox. The bolt patterns are about 2 1/2" apart, so to move the hitch to the only other pattern, would raise the hitch (thus lowering the front of the Fox) 2 1/2". Sounds great in theory.

But, here is the dilemma. There is only about 2" of open space between movable hitch and the bottom of the front fiberglass cap. It seems the "adjustable" Morryde hitch isn't adjustable on this Fox.

I'm going to attempt to attach 2 photos to show what I'm attempting to say.

Does this seem right and am I stuck with the ride height? (and yes, I do NOT want to cut the cap)

Bolt Pattern and Clearance
I started a post on the NROA forum a few weeks ago. You can compare measurements one there from what the other guys are seeing on their rigs. Most say they move the pin box to the highest setting and are still a tad high in the front. I wonder if the highest setting is what your pics actually shows. Logic says that top hole should be able to be used but for some reason the cap is in that space.

I get what your up against and 2.5 inches is not way out of wack. I expect when my new rig comes in the next couple weeks, I to will be slightly high in the front.

One of the members there reported a few measurements and does sit level.
33" from the ground to the bed and centered over axle. This is loaded.
15" from the bed to the top of the hitch.

Just based on those measurements alone, I would be 2" higher just due to my trailersaver hitch which rides at 17" off the bed floor when loaded. The bed of my truck rides approx 33" off the ground as well.

I know from experience installing on my last rig if that you install the MorRyde 4000sre suspension upgrade, that it will raise your trailer 1". That would help.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

When I raised my pin box to the highest hole I reversed that upper bolts direction.....from outside in to inside out...
Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
...move the pin box up, which if you think about it, the front axle works just like a teeter totter...
In the original posting, I stated I could not move the pin box up as there is interference with with the front cap. But thanks,

Quote:

I get what your up against and 2.5 inches is not way out of wack. I expect when my new rig comes in the next couple weeks, I to will be slightly high in the front.

One of the members there reported a few measurements and does sit level.
33" from the ground to the bed and centered over axle. This is loaded.
15" from the bed to the top of the hitch.

Just based on those measurements alone, I would be 2" higher just due to my trailersaver hitch which rides at 17" off the bed floor when loaded. The bed of my truck rides approx 33" off the ground as well.

I know from experience installing on my last rig if that you install the MorRyde 4000sre suspension upgrade, that it will raise your trailer 1". That would help.
I am not suggesting 2 1/2" is "way out of wack". I am interested in lowering the front by 2 1/2".

I'll compare those measurements to what I have as soon as I find my measuring tape. My wife reminded me where it is, apparently where I left it last. The search continues. Thanks for the measurements.

The suspension upgrade that raises the trailer by 1" does nothing to lower the front of the trailer as it's on the fulcrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
When I raised my pin box to the highest hole I reversed that upper bolts direction.....from outside in to inside out...
Great idea, Bob, but the bolts are not what is interfering with the cap. The top of the 'tongue' of the hitch would be against the fiberglass cap and the holes would still not match up. I'm trying NOT to modify the front cap.

Back to morning brew . . .
Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #14

Check out the LCI 'Correct Track' Alignment Kit

It is an alignment device that ALSO results in raising trailer 2"

IF you are just slightly NOSE HIGH this is the way to go.....axles get aligned and raise 2" for level towing
2 great benefits AND SIMPLE

https://shop.redneck-trailer.com/p-6...it-l87220.aspx

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote