Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #15

The jacks on my 2016 Arctic Fox 27.5 do a pretty good job. My brother has an automatic 4 jack system that is a little faster but not by much. I have a set of the interlocking plastic tiles that I use under the wheels to get us side to side level. Then I unhook and level front to rear with the landing jacks, and then I use the electric rear stabilizers to snug it up. I wish I had the old manual stabilizers that were used on my old Arctic fox. They were faster, and heavier duty. Another great feature of the Arctic Fox is the lights on the curtain of the awning. I can cook outside at night. Dave-R
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-R View Post
The jacks on my 2016 Arctic Fox 27.5 do a pretty good job. My brother has an automatic 4 jack system that is a little faster but not by much. I have a set of the interlocking plastic tiles that I use under the wheels to get us side to side level. Then I unhook and level front to rear with the landing jacks, and then I use the electric rear stabilizers to snug it up. I wish I had the old manual stabilizers that were used on my old Arctic fox. They were faster, and heavier duty. Another great feature of the Arctic Fox is the lights on the curtain of the awning. I can cook outside at night. Dave-R
Thanks for the info. I really prefer the hydrolic leveler but was curious how well the electric auto level performed. The instructions say to park on a level surface. Are they are more for stabilizing than to level the trailer?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #17

Man you guys are making me drool or maybe I'm just loosing control of my bodily functions? I hope it is not the latter.

I live in SE Texas and dealers here only sell those mass produced IN Lippert frame RVs. We own one and are happy, but looking to downsize to smaller. We do not want to have to give up quality. The AF 29-5t seems to be a good fit and I can not wait to see one. I would even consider the 29-5k.

Do those shocks help prevent the tossing of all the kitchen stuff that has plagued the rear kitchen models?

Cheers!
Curtis and Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

Funny you ask about the shocks. In our Arctic Fox 27.5 we have driven over some rough roads and have never had anything come out of the cabinets. We live in central Utah, and we drove to Passco Washington to pick up our trailer. Went to a couple big R.V. shows, and never found anything we liked more. From what I have seen, it is the trailer most geared to off road or boondocking. My wife and I have a small cabinet business, and we were impressed with quality and amount of cabinets in the rear kitchen 27.5L. We actually have some with nothing in them. Good luck Dave-R
Old 11-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
How do they tow, and how is the suspension? I see that they actually use shocks on them - does it make a big difference?
We looked at AF. They build a really good (for the RV industry) frames with 12" I beam (mobile home I beam) for the frame over the axles and cross members and 10" I beam for the drop section under the pass through.

AF was the only trailer we found that that uses 12" I (mobile home) beam for the cross members.

The other 30'-35' 5ths we looked at used 10" I beam over the axles and 8" under the pass through and some even using 6" I beam over the axles.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #20

I have a 94 alpenlite with rear kitchen. Shocks make a difference. I can leave objects on the rear counter while traveling and they do not move. My can goods cabinet on rear only has a 1/4 in plywood bottom. Still good after 78,000 miles of rough towing. Alpenlite was built like the Artic fox but they went out of business. Extremely well built and designed for boondocking.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #21

I'd compromise on lots of other wants to get one of Ron Nash's RVs. Sure they have problems, but both companies stand behind their products and I feel they are by far the best in the industry for the money. Either AF or Outdoors will be our next RV.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #22

I also have an AF 27-5L. Rock solid, built well. I carry a lumber yard's worth of 12" 4X4s and just build up to within 12" of the auto levelers, then let it do its thing. Never had a problem with leveling the rig. I had an AF 990 camper for 8 years prior to buying my 5th wheel, and it was solid as well. Northwood's quality has come down a bit in recent years, but comparing to what else I see out there, it's still miles ahead of most. I have been in temperatures between 25 and 112 and have always been comfortable. I like the size of the 27-5L because it's easy to tow, back up, etc. and is short enough to take some pretty good dips on some of the rougher Idaho roads. Shocks - yes, make a huge difference. We removed the dining room table and replaced it with a card table and four chairs (to open the space up for a queen size air mattress for my daughter) and the table and chairs never move during transit. The only real complaint I have is it is a bit sparse on outside storage, but there's plenty inside. So, been with Northwood now for 10 years. They have been a good company. Also, my dealer has been great, which in my opinion, is every bit as important, if not more so, than the manufacturer.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #23

I would go with a 22H because of the extra seating. The 22G forces you to sit in one spot, the dinette. Only way to get an Arctic Fox in 22H is used but that will save you money and when you trade, if you do, you won't lose as much money. Nash still has the 22H.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I would go with a 22H because of the extra seating. The 22G forces you to sit in one spot, the dinette. Only way to get an Arctic Fox in 22H is used but that will save you money and when you trade, if you do, you won't lose as much money. Nash still has the 22H.
I agree - having the option to sit in another position does make a difference.

I'm so happy I got a sofa with my unit - I can sit up straight, slouch or lay down - believe me it makes a difference when you are in a TT for a long time.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #25

I love my 22H for that reason alone. For such a small trailer it seems roomy and spacious.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Arctic fox is good and I have one but you still need to make changes to improve it and make it you own.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #27

I've never owned one, but after months of online research and rv shows we just ordered an AF 35-5Z. It took a bit of convincing to get my wife to agree but I swore I wouldn't own another rig with a Lippert frame. Yes, there are other options but then the price starts jumping upwards by $20-$30K. I talked to a guy who had just bought his second AF and his only comments were that the cabinetry wasn't as solid as his first rig (2006) but was acceptable, and the Lippert auto level system wasn't strong enough. I ordered mine without the auto level and plan to get a Big Foot system installed and Moryde IS suspension.
nwtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looked at the AF line while returning from Alaska a few months ago. Yes, very heavy, Yes, better than most other tt's out there, Yes, not cheap (as in price), Yes, we did run into a few AF owners while in Canada and Alaska who said like any new RV purchase you still have things to take care or / fix.

The closest AF to me is in Cincinnati OH. (5 hours away).

There was a ownership change at AF a few years ago. How has things changed? Positive or negitive?

Personal opinion on Lippert, seems to me their buying out all the RV component manufactures in order to control that market for that product, costs, with no need to honor quality standards because they control the market. I'm hearing issues related to Lippert items and new RV owners having trouble getting service / warranty work completed. Is Lippert know as the Walmart in the RV component field?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote