Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #1

Northwood Arctic Fox

Yet another option that seems decent, but there aren't any around here. I like the fact that they make their own frame, and that the reviews seem pretty positive about them. They also seem to be geared towards more off the beaten patch traveling. Anyone have experience with them? Wondering if they are worth the trip to check out.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Yet another option that seems decent, but there aren't any around here. I like the fact that they make their own frame, and that the reviews seem pretty positive about them. They also seem to be geared towards more off the beaten patch traveling. Anyone have experience with them? Wondering if they are worth the trip to check out.
Arctic Fox/Nash and Outdoors RV are our finalists.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #3

Totally worth the trip. In the past interior decor was somewhat out dated, but that appears to have changed recently. Be aware though,,they are heavy. Heavier than the competetion for sure. So be sure your TV is up to the task.
For quites, check out Thunder RV in LaGrande, OR. They are the closest dealer to the factory and generally have a good inventory. Also Apache Camping center in Portland and Seattle area usually are competetive priced.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Arctic Fox/Nash and Outdoors RV are our finalists.

What else was on the list?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Totally worth the trip. In the past interior decor was somewhat out dated, but that appears to have changed recently. Be aware though,,they are heavy. Heavier than the competetion for sure. So be sure your TV is up to the task.
For quites, check out Thunder RV in LaGrande, OR. They are the closest dealer to the factory and generally have a good inventory. Also Apache Camping center in Portland and Seattle area usually are competetive priced.

How do they tow, and how is the suspension? I see that they actually use shocks on them - does it make a big difference?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
What else was on the list?
Lance 2285 we had just eliminated due to the front window (over the bed)and the price. The quality of the build was excellent the total weight was excellent the lack of insulation comparatively speaking ultimately was its undoing.

After that it was a collection of inexpensive lightweight layouts that wouldn't stand up to the quality of build, the level of insulation. Jayco Whitehawk had a perfect floorplan and weight, when push came to shove, they just couldn't explain to me how they arrived at their R values, hey tell me anything. Then there was about five others with floor plans and weight keeping them in the running. You can substitute any five others.

We're very happy with the finalists that we have picked as they're well-built travel trailer that's well insulated and fully capable of being a Fourseason camper in reality. The others claimed they were but in fact it was just words on paper. If I end up with an outdoors RV I'll end up traveling from upstate New York to at least Montana to pick one up. Arctic fox or Nash I can get at a dealer in Pennsylvania.

For what it' s worth we're in flux only over these remaining choices:

Arctic Fox 22G
Nash 17K, 22H, 23B, 23D, 24M**
Outdoors RV/Creekside 20FQ, 21RBS, 22RB, 23RBS, 23BHS**
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
How do they tow, and how is the suspension? I see that they actually use shocks on them - does it make a big difference?
They will tow just like any other type.
TTs will still need sway control
Fivers will still tow like a dream.
What floor plan are you looking at?
Where or what part of the country are you in? It might be well worth your time to come out to the factory. Outdoor RV is very close by and a sister company that might be worth looking at also. NE Oregon is a beautiful part of the country, and might be worth your time to drive out, tour the factory and tow your new toy home.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

We're in Texas. I'm contemplating the 32-5M. It actually has a bathroom counter (wife). Also would be interested in the 29-5. We plan on spending time all over the country, to include a couple months a year wandering around Alaska and some other time in the Rockies and west coast. The rest of the time will be in the south, where insulation is just as important.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

Time frame? Winters in NE Oregon can be tough, but summers are wonderful.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

Next year - we'll be headed thru that area late July and on the way back September/October, depending on how the weather is looking. Want to be back down south by the end of October. Had hoped to head up earlier in the year, but work schedule prohibits that.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #11

Never buy one of these! My first one was a 2002 and after having it, my wife would not look at any others. My daughter bought it and we bought a 2016 Arctic Fox 27.5 L. We really like it. They are probably one of the best off road trailers out there. 80 gallon water tank, and the extra large propane tanks are great . It has the best ground clearance we could find. I like the thermo-pane windows and the heated holding tanks. They have a lot of standard features that are options on other trailers. They have a 12" I-beam, and shock absorbers with grease able bolts. Yes they are heavier. We don't camp in campgrounds, and the Arctic Fox has been great for our off road camping. P.S All Arctic Foxes come generator ready, which was a must for us. Dave-R
Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #12

I have a Arctic Fox 22H and have spent a little over two months covering 7,000 miles this year alone. The only issue I had was a screw coming loose on a drawer track after driving down a bump Forrestry road. Easy fix.

The trailer is built well and did great in 18 degree temps using one propane tank for six nights. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a 27-5L but wished they came with a larger TV and a fireplace option. Our next setup will be full time.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #13

I've been Boondocking in my Arctic Fox 27 – 5L for three years and full-timeing in it for one year, and to tell you the truth I can't think of another fifth wheel that I'd rather have.

It's small enough to get into forest service campgrounds, but its big enough to live in comfortably. I've had two other fifth wheels and had various problems with both of them but so far the Arctic Fox has been trouble-free.

I think part of that is because of the shocks and the strength of the frame. Since it has shocks I don't find all my stuff laying on the floor after going over dirt roads. And I think the strength of the frame keeps the body from twisting as bad so everything stays together.

All in all after living in it for 13 months I'm very happy with my choice. If you would like to see it and read about how it works feel free to visit my blog.

theboondork
Old 11-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork View Post
I've been Boondocking in my Arctic Fox 27 – 5L for three years and full-timeing in it for one year, and to tell you the truth I can't think of another fifth wheel that I'd rather have.

It's small enough to get into forest service campgrounds, but its big enough to live in comfortably. I've had two other fifth wheels and had various problems with both of them but so far the Arctic Fox has been trouble-free.

I think part of that is because of the shocks and the strength of the frame. Since it has shocks I don't find all my stuff laying on the floor after going over dirt roads. And I think the strength of the frame keeps the body from twisting as bad so everything stays together.

All in all after living in it for 13 months I'm very happy with my choice. If you would like to see it and read about how it works feel free to visit my blog.

theboondork
How are the electric jacks? Do they do a good job at leveling the rig or do you need to use blocks first?