RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Northwood trailers?

These are very well built trailers. In what I want to know does as anyone know all the trailer names they use? And from there the pecking order as to quality. Their top of the line trailer, their middle quality trailer and then their bottom quality.

Specifically Artic Fox, where does it fall in the Northwood quality of trailers.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Northwood | Service

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

From the research I have done in relation to the Arctic Fox I just purchased. Outdoor RV is the top of the line, followed by Arctic Fox, then Nash. Now, the Arctic Fox line is split into a bunch of categories that are specific to their uses. Desert Fox are the Toyhaulers for example.
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #4

tizzy - I looked at that link. It does not show Outdoor RV. I guess I have another question. Is Outdoor RV and Artic Fox built by Northwood or is outdoor RV a different company?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Top to bottom: Arctic Fox Silver Fox, Arctic Fox Classic, Snow River (no longer made), Nash. Silver vs. Classic really has more to do with size and trim. Structure should be the same.

Northwood and Outdoors RV are "cousins", Ron and Sherry Nash started Outdoors RV, Northwood itself is a separate company. Fortunately they share the heavy duty frame manufacturer as well as quality construction and design. Don't sweat the lack of dealers in your area on either one. They offer excellent warranty support through your favorite local independent dealer.

Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV have aluminum stud walls, Nash should be wood framed walls, but far above the industry standard quality. Both have high arched wood truss ceilings, which seem to weather life on the road better than the aluminum/steel roof truss systems, at least that's my understanding.

You can't go wrong with either company, and IMO, it's the only thing that can meet or exceed your Sunnybrook fifth wheel construction, as well as beat the new Winnebago.

Load up that Lariat and head West young man!

Here's a construction video for Outdoors RV:
https://youtu.be/AK6jQRxBKeo
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Outdoor RV is a different company but owned by the same investors as Northwood Manufacturing. I limited my self to the Artic Fox and Outdoor RV Creekside since I wanted shorter well built trailer with double axles that could handle some cold weather and didn't have a slide. Most of the other manufactures no slide trailers are very basic with little amenities or single axles with little cargo capacity.

I ended up with the Artic Fox 22G and I am happy with my choice. It came pretty loaded with Fantastic fans in the bedroom and bathroom and power scissor stabilizer jacks. I also like that 8.5 foot width to make is a little easier to get around the bed.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #7

Here's a post that has links to the Outdoors RV story, pretty interesting. I like the Outdoors RV models primarily due to the suspension, interior trims, more backwoods style camping support.

ORV (or other west brand) on east coast?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

There is an Artic Fox dealer 18 miles north of me. I was in St. Augistine and driving back on route 1 and at Rt 206 intersection the RV dealer Ocean Grove RV Superstore. They had an Artic Fox trailer outside their fence along Rt 1. So I stopped and looked at it. I did not have time to go over it like I wanted to but tomorrow I will go back and work with a salesman. I need to check out the frame, axles and tires. From my 1st glance it seemed understated which is perfect.

I thought there was some sort of connection between Artic Fox and Northwood.

Dave - thanks for the info.

I have not done anything yet with Winnebago Mini Plus 27 RBDS. Now I need to compare the Mini Plus to Artic Fox.

Get this, with the Artic Fox truck campers they have I might end up with one of those.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

Northwood is the manufacturer... Arctic Fox is one of their model line.

compared to

GM is the manufacturer ... Chevrolet is one of their model line.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #10

This sticker on the inside of my 2004 shows an UVW of 8240lbs, CCC of 3480lbs and a GVWR of 11700lbs.

Its listed as a 31ft house, on a 32'7" tip to tip length. (LOTS of tongue weight)

The frame is enormous and boxed. The tongue A-frame is part of the total frame (look at Lippert frames and you'll notice the Tongue A-frame is welded to the bottom of the house frame). Not sure about your Winnie, but the Arctic Foxes generally come with 40lb propane tanks plus all the insulation you already know about.
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

I will check out the Artic Fox tomorrow morning. That frame is worth seeing. Wow, over 3,000lbs. cargo capacity. That is better than I thought.

And a whopping 11,000gvwr. I will need to take a pic of the capacity stickers on muscular trailer. Glad I did not wimp out on a Ram 1500 3.6 liter truck or the Ford F-150 2.7 eco-boost truck.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

When you finish going over that Arctic Fox, like I know you will... seriously, it will be the end of your search. You'll find yourself wondering how any other manufacturer manages to sell their wares when this type of build is available.

Heavy trailers, and most a little nose heavy too, but much like your F-250, unbelievable payload, and with good reason.

Check out our two owner forums for these manufacturers.
Northwood
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f289/

Outdoors RV
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/

In the case of Outdoors RV, people drive across the country often to get them, or even fly, buy, then hire transporters to bring them back. Something must be pretty good to draw that kind of buyer...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Agree that going west to get an Outdoor RV has it's appeal. Especially combining it with an exploration of the west. Always played around with the idea of spending 2 - 3 years in the west when the fork in the road was full-time in an RV or buy a house. Bought a house...oh well. Seems having a perminant address has benefits as my wife is always needing a doctor for one thing or another.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Top to bottom: Arctic Fox Silver Fox, Arctic Fox Classic, Snow River (no longer made), Nash. Silver vs. Classic really has more to do with size and trim. Structure should be the same.

Northwood and Outdoors RV are "cousins", Ron and Sherry Nash started Outdoors RV, Northwood itself is a separate company. Fortunately they share the heavy duty frame manufacturer as well as quality construction and design. Don't sweat the lack of dealers in your area on either one. They offer excellent warranty support through your favorite local independent dealer.

^^Yep. Arctic Fox is really dolled up. I preferred the interiors on the similarly priced Titanium ORV by a mile. I’m a young guy though so YMMV— isn’t it great to have choices? AF Silver Fox are just the bigger floor plans.

Nash is pretty spartan but everything is quality. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a wood framed Nash as they’re plenty strong when built right. I really liked the Nash 24M except it needed to be 6-12” longer in the bedroom.

Can’t really go wrong with AF or Nash, IMO— even if I didn’t buy one.

Tags
trailer