Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Once you go Northwood.....

Over the years my wife and I have had a few different RV's, including a 32' Winnebago class A, an Arctic Fox 990 truck camper, and a Desert Fox toy hauler. We don't live far from Northwood, and one time when we had a warranty issue with a camper jack we took it to the factory for the repair. Incredibly nice people. We purchased our 990 after looking at every available truck camper and coming away with the quality difference of the Arctic Fox really standing out. With two kids, we eventually outgrew the 990. The Desert Fox was high quality, and great, but we couldn't tow it and our boat at the same time.

It's back to just my wife and I, and we fish a lot. We thought a Sprinter based class C might be ideal. We hooked our boat up to one, loaded more lightly than it would often be towed. It was under the rating, but I didn't like the way it towed.

The quality of the cabinetry and such in the View was very good. Some of the other brands of Sprinter based units we looked at had pretty horrible quality. I'm a developer and builder, so I tend to notice things, but some of the quality issues didn't take much effort to notice. We went and looked at the new 990's and were impressed that the quality seems to still be very good. Things like cabinet drawers and doors were much nicer than on any of the Sprinter based units we looked at, other than possibly the View, which was very nice.

I already have a one ton dually 4x4 crew cab diesel truck, so we decided another 990 makes a lot of sense. Our quest to purchase one will start today. It's the same truck I had our last 990 on, but the guy that bought it had the same truck so I sold the tie downs and such to him. Will probably go with the Torklift tie downs again, and fast guns. That was the set up we had last time and I really liked it. I have a 2.5" hitch on my truck, and will need to get a 24" Reese extension for towing. I ordered the truck new with the camper package and camper rated. With the last 990 loaded it didn't quite engage the helper spring. I'm thinking I may add those blocks that engage the helper spring a little earlier to help the ride this time. Any thoughts on those?
drysider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!