Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Opinion of Northwood Arctic Fox slides

Hello all:

I'm new to this forum, and also to RVing. During the last year we've owned two Jayco TTs. Currently we have a 224bh.

On both our previous and current Jaycos, we decided against getting ones with slides, if for no other reason that a slide is just another mechanical component which could break, leak, etc. And in retrospect I'm glad that we did forego slides, after reading about issues that some Jayco owners have experienced with their slide units

I'm already "dreaming" about owning an Arctic Fox down the road, if God should permit. I want a quality product that is mostly trouble free. I have also noticed on this forum that I don't see many, if any, complaints about Arctic Fox slides. This is starting to change my perception of whether to eventually own an RV with slides.

Also, after viewing Taylor Dzaman's YouTube videos on the construction of Arctic Foxes, I'm of the opinion that they are so "beefy" that it leads me to assume that maybe indeed Northwood's slides may also be superior to many other manufacturers' units.

Is my assumption in regards to this topic correct?

Thank you, and Best Wishes,
Frank
Learner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

Yep. Pretty much everything about the construction of the AF is superior to what you’re used to. When you’re in a CG around an AF owner, talk with them. Most are happy to share their experience.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

Slide outs have been around for close to 20 yeara now. What bugs there were have largely been worked out. We bought a new Cedar Creek fiver in 2005. In the 12 years we owned it I never had a slide room issue. The key is always maintenance. Lube the slide mechanism, clean the bulb seals and you should not have a problem..
What you will find is Northwood or OutdoorRV products are generally superior to the junk coming out of Indiana or where ever the mass peoduced stuff is slapped together. Not that Northwood cant have issues too. However assemblying on their own frame does give them an advantage.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

Don't expect your new AF to be problem free. There will be some minor issues you will have to deal with but if there is anything of a major issue, both AF and ORV will stand behind their products. You will love the extra room a slide provides. We have had no problems with the slides on our AF for the last 3 years. Previous RV slides did have issues, Cardinal and Terry. Be sure to check the slide for open doors or drawers before you deploy the slide. That's a design issue though and not the slides fault. We've owned over 25 RV's and AF or ORV are the only tow campers we would consider if we were looking again.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

I have a 2004 model AF TT and I think the motor is finally going on the big slide. 15 years aint that bad. No leaks. My only issue (and it really isn't an issue) is that the slide is quite deep and I occasionally need to jockey the trailer around to give myself enough room to put it out without hitting the campground utilities. Yes I can solve this by creating a measuring stick, but I keep forgetting to do so, which is why this isn't really an *issue*.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

Zero problems with the slide on my 2013 Fox Mountain in 6 years. I'm a firm believer in the rack type slides. I also had a rack type in a Heartland Northtrail that was problem free for 2.5 years.
JMO but Schwintek and Bal seem to be the most problematic. Maybe because they're designed more for lighter applications and some companies install them on heavier slides to save money and weight.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Thank you all for your feedback. It confirms the opinion that I have developed from reading on these and the NROA forums, that the slides on Northwood products are a superior design.

I figured that an absence of negative comments regarding AF slides must be a sign of silent praise!

Best wishes,
Frank
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

People generally don't complain about stuff that is still working
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner1 View Post
Hello all:

I'm new to this forum, and also to RVing. During the last year we've owned two Jayco TTs. Currently we have a 224bh.

On both our previous and current Jaycos, we decided against getting ones with slides, if for no other reason that a slide is just another mechanical component which could break, leak, etc. And in retrospect I'm glad that we did forego slides, after reading about issues that some Jayco owners have experienced with their slide units

I'm already "dreaming" about owning an Arctic Fox down the road, if God should permit. I want a quality product that is mostly trouble free. I have also noticed on this forum that I don't see many, if any, complaints about Arctic Fox slides. This is starting to change my perception of whether to eventually own an RV with slides.

Also, after viewing Taylor Dzaman's YouTube videos on the construction of Arctic Foxes, I'm of the opinion that they are so "beefy" that it leads me to assume that maybe indeed Northwood's slides may also be superior to many other manufacturers' units.

Is my assumption in regards to this topic correct?

Thank you, and Best Wishes,
Frank
AF will use rack and pinion (undermount) on the large slides that are more durable.

Rack and pinion are heavier and interfer with the location of tanks and plumbing so manufacturers will use other systems (Shwintek) that do not interfere with the plumbing but are far more problematic on large slides.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

I bought the Arctic Fox 22G because it was roomy enough for my wife and I without slides. I look at a slide as a reduction of side wall strength. It adds weight, contributes to hot or cold air leaking in and is a potential source of water leaks and mechanical issues.

I know the majority of trailers come with slides but I was happy to find an Arctic Fox without one.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Don't expect your new AF to be problem free. There will be some minor issues you will have to deal with but if there is anything of a major issue, both AF and ORV will stand behind their products. You will love the extra room a slide provides. We have had no problems with the slides on our AF for the last 3 years. Previous RV slides did have issues, Cardinal and Terry. Be sure to check the slide for open doors or drawers before you deploy the slide. That's a design issue though and not the slides fault. We've owned over 25 RV's and AF or ORV are the only tow campers we would consider if we were looking again.
Wow, MtCamper! 25! You must be trading up every year or two!

Thank you for your feedback!

Frank
Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #12

We have owned two AF fifth wheels and never had any mechanical issues with slides in either one. The first one we had, a 2004 24-5N, had a channel on the bottom of the slide that would allow rain to come into the corners if the trailer wasn't perfectly level with the slide side slightly higher but removing the channel and sealing the hollow part fixed that.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide