Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
Some people don't like it one bit when they perceive that the brand they own has come under attack. Sometimes they take it personally, become defensive, and lacking good judgement or self control lash out saying things are often silly, unhelpful or even offensive.
LOL not me. I've posted my sentiments on NW Facebook and NROA about my front cap fading along with other areas I think NW cheap'd out on. I just dropped $1350 to get it painted so it wouldn't look like crap with not even an apology from NW or better yet a discount on a new front decal. My view is they're all made as cheap and as fast as possible. Only difference between any of them is the materials used. Better materials won't make it better if the assembly is flawed.
But I'm not going to sit here and slam my 5th wheel MFG for doing what every other MFG does. It's pointless.

As far as drinking the MFG Koolade I think thats sorta silly as well. I didn't build my 5er. A bunch of other people did. If I got lucky and picked one with fewer problems than the other guy then so be it.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
...I'm not going to sit here and slam my 5th wheel MFG for doing what every other MFG does. It's pointless.
I disagree, especially when someone such as the OP of this thread poses a question asking about build quality. Where else is he/she going to get product quality feedback from owners of the product?

While I do agree there are widespread quality issues within the industry I am uncertain that either you or I have sufficient knowledge to support the claim that "every" mfr. is the same. We need to hear from people that are both satisfied and dissatisfied in order to help keep our fingers on the pulse of the RV industry.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Some people don't like it one bit when they perceive that the brand they own has come under attack. Sometimes they take it personally, become defensive, and lacking good judgement or self control lash out saying things are often silly, unhelpful or even offensive.
... and some have issues with reality.

Most people buying an RV aren't brand loyalists, until experience has tempered their perception one way or another. Apparently your experiences tend to be negative and that's how I read your responses.

Some don't like it one bit.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
... and some have issues with reality.

Most people buying an RV aren't brand loyalists, until experience has tempered their perception one way or another. Apparently your experiences tend to be negative and that's how I read your responses.

Some don't like it one bit.
Fair enough.

Isn't there a way to screen out posts from specific users?
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #61
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe it’s starting to be that time when we look at what we are about to post and how it could be taken out of context or how the intent of the post could be misinterpreted.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #62

Quote:
I disagree, especially when someone such as the OP of this thread poses a question asking about build quality. Where else is he/she going to get product quality feedback from owners of the product?

While I do agree there are widespread quality issues within the industry I am uncertain that either you or I have sufficient knowledge to support the claim that "every" mfr. is the same. We need to hear from people that are both satisfied and dissatisfied in order to help keep our fingers on the pulse of the RV industry.
I feel that it's the percetages that seem to be askew when compared to other similar industries that causes many to rail against "all rv manufacturers " when these conversations come up. I personally do have to agree, both by personal experience and observation" that there's a huge void in QC across the map.

We all paid hard earned money for these products and "deserve" a much better than 50% chance of getting what "we thought" we paid for without being provided with defective products and systems before the tires leave the lot and our names are on the dotted line and paid for.

The auto industry was in the same place decades ago when QC was almost nonexistent...nowadays "most" auto manufacturers put out very good initial quality products.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #63

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I feel that it's the percetages that seem to be askew when compared to other similar industries that causes many to rail against "all rv manufacturers " when these conversations come up. I personally do have to agree, both by personal experience and observation" that there's a huge void in QC across the map.

We all paid hard earned money for these products and "deserve" a much better than 50% chance of getting what "we thought" we paid for without being provided with defective products and systems before the tires leave the lot and our names are on the dotted line and paid for.

The auto industry was in the same place decades ago when QC was almost nonexistent...nowadays "most" auto manufacturers put out very good initial quality products.

I have to agree, quality control and inspection before leaving the factory is still lacking in most every RV unit I've looked at. It is puzzling for those of us who remember the lack of quality in American cars of the late '60's and '70's and how Japan and Europe quickly filled our highways with superior products. I'm surprised no RV manufacturers have used those lessons to market RVs that boast of inspection, quality control, and a more than a 12-month warranty. They could charge a bit more, but perhaps those inspections would cost more than people are willing to pay. Instead, buyers of new RVs are forced to leave it for months at the dealer for repairs or have to make a trip back to the factory to have things put right that should have been caught before it left the factory in the first place.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #64

It's not even quality control thats the issue. It's the cheap materials that're used throughout. Buyers that are expecting home quality cabinets and furnishings as well as auto industry reliability are going to be disappointed regardless of what brand you buy.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #65
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Fair enough.

Isn't there a way to screen out posts from specific users?
You can screen users. Just click on the user name at the left. In the drop down will be an option to add (whoever) to your ignore list.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's not even quality control thats the issue. It's the cheap materials that're used throughout. Buyers that are expecting home quality cabinets and furnishings as well as auto industry reliability are going to be disappointed regardless of what brand you buy.
When I'm looking at a $100,000+ Fifth Wheel???? Ummmmm......NO!!!

Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #67

The more I read this thread, the happier I am that I bought a 3 year old model.

Solid wood throughout. Heavy axles with springs / shocks. Built tough. Etc.

But folks.. the problem isn't the manufacturer, it is us buying them. The biggest POS that I have read about was a 700+ K Tiffin MH.

If or when we buy again, it will be an AF. But not new
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
The more I read this thread, the happier I am that I bought a 3 year old model.

Solid wood throughout. Heavy axles with springs / shocks. Built tough. Etc.

But folks.. the problem isn't the manufacturer, it is us buying them. The biggest POS that I have read about was a 700+ K Tiffin MH.

If or when we buy again, it will be an AF. But not new
On that Good Sir....I will rest my case! Point made.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #69

We had a conversation about new or used when we decided now was the time to buy. If we buy used, someone else has already worked the bugs out, if we buy new WE work the bugs out and know exactly what we have.

We bought new and are glad we did.
JameyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, trailer