RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

WH controls on 2004 Arctic Fox?

A good friend of mine, totally new to RVing, purchased a 2004 vintage Arctic Fox 25RS yesterday. I've been helping him set it up in our small park and teaching him all the systems and procedures.

He has what I'm pretty sure is a gas/electric Suburban water heater (going by the hole where the seller left out the anode rod). I went to show him the relevant controls inside the trailer.

I found the following switch (sorry for the blurry photo, copied from a for-sale site because I didn't take one of my own), which I have determined is for the propane side, and I gather that "on" is in fact actually down.

Looking for a switch for the electric side, the only undeclared switch we found looked like a standard residential-type toggle switch labeled "on" and "off" with a labelmaker, installed high at the right side of the galley window (reasonably far from the gas switch). It might have been added by the owner, but looks a lot more professional than any of his other modifications, so my guess is factory. (Plus, I have since found a couple of used RV dealer videos of related models showing this switch in the same place.) It doesn't have any obvious effect when turned on (no lights, garbage disposal noise, or whatever), so we are leaving it turned off until we get the WH holding water.

I understand that on some rigs with Suburban WHs, there is no interior control for the electric side of the WH, just the switch inside the outdoor cavity, though it's possible for an owner to add one.

Does anybody happen to be familiar with the controls that Arctic Fox installed on this vintage trailer? Is this in fact the electric side of the WH? If not, what does it do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whswitch.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	265968  

LHRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHRanch View Post
Does anybody happen to be familiar with the controls that Arctic Fox installed on this vintage trailer? Is this in fact the electric side of the WH? If not, what does it do?
I had an '04 24-5N with that switch that came with the new rig. IIRC, when switched to the 'On' position the WH runs on Propane. The light would come on when the tank is heating and off when it was done. We only used the propane to heat the tank when away from an RV park.

Back to morning brew . . .

CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

The Switch in photo is for the Propane side of the Suburban Water Heater
The RED Light should turn ON when you first turn switch on....then should go OUT when flame lights/proves it lit.

If it stays on or comes back on that is a 'Fault'----means flame did not light/prove it lit

The electric OEM on/off switch is in the outside compartment ---lower left corner
That wall plate Light switch is probably an RV MFG added on/off switch wired in Series with OEM switch (both have to be ON for electric to work)

Neither propane or electric (especially electric) should be turned on until WH TANK is filled with water
Electric and propane have separate controls with their own et of t-stats
High temp t-stat has to be manually reset if it trips
Push To Reset Cover above gas valve

Left side is the 120VAC for electric & Right side is the 12VDC for propane

**Sometimes the connecting wire between High Temp T-stat & Normal Temp T-stat will burn into.......no completed circuit

12VDC wiring for propane

120VAC wiring for element (if dry fired it is burned out)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Old-Biscuit said it best. I'll just add a couple pics. The outside switch is not easy to see under the gas valve.

My inside switch (2008 Nash 25S) is located next to the monitor panel. Not sure if labels where factory installed or previous owner installed.

I would suspect the switch (AC 120 volt) you are describing is probably for the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	266017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	266019  

Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Left side is the 120VAC for electric & Right side is the 12VDC for propane
Thanks for that image. It allowed me to meter out the heater as the owner flipped the mystery wall switch, which did indeed turn out to be for the WH.

In Rotten Red's photo, the wall switch is at least in the vicinity of the propane switch, which is a nice hint. In this rig, and the other ones I've seen in for-sale videos, it's way over on the other side of the galley window, near none of the other controls, over by the cooktop (photo). The new owner is going to label the switch to prevent future confusion.

Thanks to all who responded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whswitch.jpg
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	266060  
LHRanch is offline   Reply With Quote