RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Alaska 2019 - SoCal to AK

I decided to start a new thread rather than hijack some else's. We left yesterday from Palm Springs headed to Alaska. I'll be posting along the way about road conditions and other items. I'll rate roads based on 1 to 10. I'll add other observations as well. You can see pics and other updates on our instagram and youtube sites. Search for pbjgreatadventures. We don't monetize either site - it's just for fun.

We finished Day 1 in Mesquite, NV. Highway 62 through Yucca Valley in rather poor shape. About a 4. Highway 247 from Yucca Valley to Barstow is in pretty good shape, with some of it recently repaved. About a 7. I-15 N in pretty good shape all the way - average about 7-8. No delays through Vegas, but I-15 South through Vegas looks like a nightmare due to detours.

Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #2

This forum needs an ALASKA site!!!

Where are you going to cross into Canada? Sumas, WA is a good, easy place. Have a great trip. It's an awesome one.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We'll be headed up to Alaska in August from the Placerville, CA area so look forward to your scouting report. Please also let us know where you stay along the way.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
We'll be headed up to Alaska in August from the Placerville, CA area so look forward to your scouting report. Please also let us know where you stay along the way.

Safe travels!
August? That's a long drive. How long will your trip be?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Day 2

We drove from Mesquite, NV to North Salt Lake City, UT today. One night here at the Pony Express RV Resort. Nice resort - concrete pads and grass all around, next to Jordan River. However, some sites near the freeway would be noisy. No enclosed dog park. Sites are a bit close together.

Drive up was easy - all freeway and central Utah is beautiful right now with snow capped mountains and green valleys. Two exceptions: 1) there's road construction on the I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge in northwest Arizona. One lane for about 6 miles, lane was narrow, and it was windy. Not too bad, though. 2) Road construction roughly between Orem and the 215 loop. Not the entire length of this section. Narrow lanes and lane switches made for some white knuckle moments. We went through around 2 pm - no traffic delays.

I-15 in Utah is great shape - an 8. Plenty of climbing lanes, plus when they end they make the fast lane folks merge from the left, which I like. I-215 west a bit bumpy - a 6.

Fueled up at Flying J in Beaver. Very easy in and out. I've fueled up at the Flying J in St George before, and won't do that again. Very confusing in and out with a couple of traffic circles to maneuver.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Agree on the need for an Alaskan forum.

We're leaving from Spokane on August 19 heading up the Cassier to Alaska after spending a week in Idaho with our family who will fly back from Spokane. Hope to arrive in Tok about Sept 1st. I'll spend 3 weeks hunting birds and fishing with some Alaskan friends. My wife will fly home and retun to Alaska for the last week of September. We'll then leave about Oct 1st and head down through the Canadian Rockies, MT, WY, SD.

Wanted to come back on the top of the World Higway but may need to reverse and go north over it so I don't get stuck with the border closed.

Can't wait.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This forum needs an ALASKA site!!!

Where are you going to cross into Canada? Sumas, WA is a good, easy place. Have a great trip. It's an awesome one.
In 2017 we crossed at Roosville northbound, and Lynden southbound. Both very easy. This time we'll cross northbound at Sweetgrass and southbound probably at Sumas.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, I should have mentioned my youtube site only. My instagram is private and just for friends and family.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Day 3

Left north Salt Lake around 7 am this morning and got to Dillon, MT around 2 pm. We take our time - usually go between 55-60. Plus refueling in Idaho Falls, a rest stop to walk the pups, and two watercraft inspections (Idaho and Montana). We have a kayak on the roof of the toad. I-15 in Idaho pretty good - between 7 & 8. In Montana a solid 8. Some road construction reduced freeway to one lane in each direction in Idaho south of Spencer. No big deal.

After the I-15 and I-84 split, the traffic is much less and the drive becomes really nice, and the scenery is beautiful.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We'll be there until the middle of September and then head back to the FL Keys.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
We drove from Mesquite, NV to North Salt Lake City, UT today. One night here at the Pony Express RV Resort. Nice resort - concrete pads and grass all around, next to Jordan River. However, some sites near the freeway would be noisy. No enclosed dog park. Sites are a bit close together.

Drive up was easy - all freeway and central Utah is beautiful right now with snow capped mountains and green valleys. Two exceptions: 1) there's road construction on the I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge in northwest Arizona. One lane for about 6 miles, lane was narrow, and it was windy. Not too bad, though. 2) Road construction roughly between Orem and the 215 loop. Not the entire length of this section. Narrow lanes and lane switches made for some white knuckle moments. We went through around 2 pm - no traffic delays.

I-15 in Utah is great shape - an 8. Plenty of climbing lanes, plus when they end they make the fast lane folks merge from the left, which I like. I-215 west a bit bumpy - a 6.

Fueled up at Flying J in Beaver. Very easy in and out. I've fueled up at the Flying J in St George before, and won't do that again. Very confusing in and out with a couple of traffic circles to maneuver.
Thanks for the info. Will be following this. We drove through Salt Lake City both ways last month and found the I-15 in that area pretty rough. Not much different than driving the poor freeways in SoCal. Save travels.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to you journey posts.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Day 4

We left Dillon, MT headed to the home of some friends near Missoula. I-15N and I-90W in Montana are both in good shape - mostly 8 with a few places a 7. The drive along the Clark Fork River on I-90 is beautiful. The Flying J at I-90 and MT 200 is a great place to fuel up - lots of extra room to park and maneuver around. A bit of construction there but not a problem.

We did have one hiccup that day. I forgot to run the engine on the toad when we got there. The next morning getting ready to leave, discovered the toad battery was dead. Had to get a jump. Won't make that mistake again. Ah, the joys or RV'ng.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mark, I used to have that problem with my TOAD and then decided to stop every 2 hours or so and stretch the legs and start the car for 5 minutes. The biggest problem was in hilly country as the brakes come on quite frequently and can run down the battery.

I carried a Battery Minder battery charger, the pricey one with 8 amp output. When I forgot and the battery was dead I could (with extension corde) start the generator and plug into one of the bays. Charger on while hooking up and then start the car and let it run. Other than that, consider a "Charge Line."

TOAD Charge

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska