Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
alaska

I live in NC, thinking about going to Alaska next year, were would be a good place to enter in to Canada and go to ALaska.
danford50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Sweetwater, MT is likely it. Another option is Roosville, MT on 93 north of Kalispell. Sweetwater is plains via Calgary and Edmonton, Roosville is mountains via Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.themilepost.com/about-us/

Good information in the Milepost.

I assume you have a passport.

What time of the year are you planning to go?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sweetwater, MT was always my choice.

1st time we my friend and I crossed there, he was sleeping while it was my turn to drive (we made it from our homes in Anchorage to Chicago for his meeting in 81 hours) I had to wake him up so Customs lady could make sure his face matched the picture on his passport, after he climbed out of bed in his underwear I bet she wished she had just taken my word it was him.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
I would like to travel to the top the world highway don't know if that the proper wording for that, I think it is in Canada. Any suggestion or route to this location. I would like to enter Alaska from that highway.
danford50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Where in NC, if you are close to Raleigh I'll leave my Milepost at my Raleigh office for you. Its a must for any driving trip to AK.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danford50 View Post
I would like to travel to the top the world highway don't know if that the proper wording for that, I think it is in Canada. Any suggestion or route to this location. I would like to enter Alaska from that highway.
Cant help with that one, as residents we viewed the Alcan as a necessary evil just to get to and from the lower 48, didn't venture off to Top of World Hwy. I can tell you it will take your from Dawson City to Tok where you will enter AK. Those I've known who took were glad they did for the views, only open in the summer, 80 miles of gravel, can be rough if the weather has been bad. If I had time I would do it.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
First trip in a Class C friend and I made it from Anchorage to Chicago in 81 hours. That trip we did in November. Coldest I ever remember being when we would stop for fuel. We tried to make sure the fuel stop was on the others driving shift. The twist on cap for the sewer lines vibrated off, by the time we noticed it was about the size of a soccer ball from ice and snow build up.

Last trip in the Class A it took us 11 days from Anchorage to Ohio. We stopped at a few nice areas like Banff, Deadwood and Custer. Lost our awning in SD when a 50 mph gust of wind grabbed, the 5th wheel in front of us was caught by the same wind, it was up on the right side wheels only. Ah the good times. Moved to Ohio on that trip. I sure miss AK. Hope you love it. It should be on everyones basket list.

Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Anchorage is not AK, you can see AK from there though.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Stay in the lower U.S. as long as you can for low fuel prices towards the West. There are many border crossings from all the states. Google for a list. Just depends what you want to see. The Plains states of the lower 48 are somewhat the same in the Canadian area going across - lots of openness.

There are only two ways to get to Alaska - the Alcan Hwy and the Cassier Hwy. We go up the Alcan and return via the Cassier for the Hyder bears late summer.

Both highways take you to Whitehorse, Yukon. From there you can go to Dawson City and the Top of the World Highway ending in Tok, Alaska. You can't get lost. Dawson City is a fun little town. Plan a few days there. Don't drive the TOW Highway in rain. Wait a day or so in Dawson City for it to dry out a bit.

All you need for the trip is the Milepost for history and maps - small region ones and a bigger tear-out one. For campgrounds/RV parks/boondocking spots get Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon. You also might want to purchase the 'TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book'. Once glacier day trip will pay for the book and you'll want to do at least one. All can be purchased online.

The Alaska trip isn't hard to do - it's just long. Break it up into a lot of shorter trips in your mind and it won't seem to long.

If you have the whole summer for this trip (highly recommended) plan to cross into Canada no earlier than the 3rd or 4th week of May. Take your time through Canada and the Yukon. Some places are more beautiful than Alaska. It's not a trip to rush through. How often will you do it?

If you're planning on touring some of the great national parks of the West in the lower 48, save most of them for your return. It will be too early to get into the mountains and Sept. would be ideal. Also, you don't want to wear yourself out before you even cross into Canada.

You'll find lots of company on the highways. They're all going the same places and many you'll see over and over again at various stops. It's a modern trip unlike the earlier years. You'll find groceries available along with fuel but you find higher prices. Always drive on the top 1/2 of your tank though. It's not a trip to try and scout for a cheaper fuel price. You pay what you have to and get it when you see it.

Have fun planning and a great trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sweetwater, MT

Enter Canada around early June if possible. Beautiful ride thru Alberta.
Lived in Alaska for 8 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	204849  
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Tips from others

While we have not taken that trip, yet, (someday), family who has done the trip in their class A recommended, "If you see a fuel station, stop and fill up, no matter how much or little is in your tank. You never know how soon you'll see the next one."

If you are traveling with pets, be sure and have a copy of vaccinations record from the veterinarian. Also, pet food must be in original packages, not in tupperware, etc. Saw this on the Canadian gov't. tourism website.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #12

Did it last year and would never do the bottom half of the Alcan Highway again. Lots of trucks and construction vehicles that could care less about pelting your vehicle with gravel Plus there is really nothing to see on the lower half. I would recommend doing the Cassair Highway, very little traffic and no trucks.
We had a broken windshield and headlight housing on our class A to the tune of $6,000 damage. Highly recommend the Sourdough RV Park in Tok.

Milepost Book makes it seem that all the roads are paved, wrong.
dbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we made the trip in 2011, We went northbound, crossing the border in North Dakota. On the return home, we took the Cassair highway and crossed back into the US at Seattle.

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbord View Post
Milepost Book makes it seem that all the roads are paved, wrong.
I don't know which book you have but the one I have clearly shows the road surface type. It's a pretty detailed information source.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip