Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska Canada Hwy

I am working on a plan to travel the Al Can hwy this year and was wondering if an RV bra and a mud flap that connects between the coach and the toad on the trailer hitch would be a worth while investment considering what I have been reading about the chip seal roads.
Regards
Mike
2009, 42' Monaco Camelot PDQ
425 Cummins
Crew Cab F150 toad
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

I have no comment on the RV bra but I would highly recommend the Protect A Tow an take off any mud flaps you have on your MH. Mud flaps tend to throw up more rocks and do more damage.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

Winnebago put some clear "plastic/vinyl" on the front of our MH. I think it might be 3M. Seems to hold up sell, been on for 3 years now and no problems.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
GBB

Definitely..roads are good till you get into northern BC and the Yukon, then from border to Tok and between Tok and Glennallen...drive slow lots of frost heaves.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What GBB said and you may want to research any major reconstruction being done as a result of the earthquake.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would also consider a windshield protector for your toad. Galls can be an easy target for rocks kicked up by oncoming traffic.

Camco makes one but I saw many home grown versions of this and am not convinced that the pre made one offers enough padding to be really useful - it would surely help with mud however.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45401-V...ustomerReviews

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Rent in Alaska

Renting a car in Alaska will be far less expensive then all the expenses you will have hauling your toad that far. Fuel mileage, chipped paint, broken windshield, bent and broken tow bars, pain of not being able to back up, and tire problems.
I totally understand wanting to be independent and having the freedom of your own vehicle but hauling your toad almost 8000 miles to use it for less than a few hundred is not worth it. Your windshield will most likely be broken by somebody hauling the mail in the other direction. The slow speed is not because the road is rough. It is so we don"t throw rocks on the other traffic.
Please don't let this discourage you. I have traveled the highway several dozen times and thousands of tourists do it every year with no problems at all. It is one of the most relaxing drives you will ever make.
When British Columbia and Yukon say bump; they are not joking. If you see a red cone or red flag on the shoulder slow down. Alaska could save a bunch of money if they just posted a sign at the border that says all roads are rough unless posted smooth.
Have fun planning and enjoy your trip.
bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for sharing your experience. Is it a problem booking RV parks in advance or are they pretty much open with space?
Regards
Mike
Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I looked the Protect a tow up and it looks like a winner, thank you
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 1 1/2 years of reading these post I'm heading to Alaska in the spring with dual wheel flaps directly behind wheels, 5" off the ground (Touch ground when air is dumped) and the Protect a Tow between Toad and MH. Ran with it this way for 2000 mi. here in the Midwest and was fine! Alaska will be the ultimate test!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #11

We've only been to AK once. We did not put any protection on the MH or the toad. Ended up with one broken windshield on the MH (ours is a split windshield), and a few chips on the toad. When we go again, some protection for the toad will be in order. We will use some sort of guard between the toad and the MH.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

Damion,

You might want to do some research on your mud flaps. I have rad a lot of threads that mud flaps throw up more rocks with them on.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

Canpgrounds

Campgrounds along the Alaska Highway will not be a problem. They will be easy to find and should have space. Once you get to Dawson Creek, British Columbia there will be many pull outs that you can dry camp in along the way.
I don't know much about campgrounds in Anchorage. They may require reservations to guarantee a spot. Eagle River does have a nice State campground right off the highway. This is a primitive campground and will fill up on weekends. First come first served but it is quiet and a good place to spend a few nights if you can't get in town.
Denali Park will be busy. Might want to get reservations and look at the private campgrounds near the park. There is a private park about 7 miles north of the park village that usually has space.
Kenai, Seward and Homer should be OK. Call a few days ahead of time to confirm.
Fairbanks has only a few campgrounds and I have never looked into them because I live here. Walmart, Fred Meyer and Pioneer Park have lots of campers in their parking lots all summer long.
Making reservations up here is difficult because you can't estimate travel time like you would in the lower states. You will not average 55 to 65 miles per hour. Look at the Alaska Highway in 300 mile segments. Fort Nelson to Watson, Watson to Whitehorse, Whitehorse to Beaver Creek/Tok, Tok to Anchorage or Fairbanks. The reason for this is, you may not want to stop after 300 miles but the next major town is 6 hours away at 50 mph.
Buy the Milepost and look it over. You will be able to make somewhat of a plan to extend 300 mile days or shorten them based on what you want to accomplish. Spend the night at Liard Hot Springs. If the campground is full, no worries, they have plenty of overflow parking across the street.
There are roadhouses along the way at 100 mile intervals. Many have campgrounds or will not mind if you spend the night in their parking lots.
Don't forget the waysides, gravel pits and pull off all along the way where you can stop and rest peacefully
Enjoy the drive and think about the lack of traffic and the remoteness of where you are. You will be here in the peak of the travel season but imagine what it would be like in the winter when you would be on this stretch of road and not see another vehicle for two hours.
Have fun.
bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We plan to leave Texas mid May to be at the Canadian border first week of June then spend 3-4 weeks on the Alcan hwy on the way to Alaska. I didn’t want to get to Canada when there was still snow on the roads or we would leave a little earlier. Now just have to find if it’s better to get a phone in Canada or get international service with AT&T, friends say it’s very expensive to get service there.
Thank you again you really helped me a lot with your comments/experience.
Regards
Mike
42’ Monaco Camelot PDQ
F-150 towd

Tags
ada, alaska, alaska trip, canada