Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #1

Alaska roads

I have not seen too many postings about people coming to Alaska this summer, but here is a short report on one route. We just returned from our bi-annual trip to the lower 48. We did just over 6700 miles in five weeks.
While most of the Alaska roads are not in too bad of shape, try of avoid the Tok-Glenn cutoff. There is a section, about 15 miles long, that is not in very good condition. If you are in a Class A and driving about 30MPH, you are driving TOO fast. Also construction has started on this section and it is not going to be user friendly! If possible, continue up the Alcan to Delta Junction, and then take the Richardson back south.
The Alcan, was not in bad shape this year and we made good time on it. For this trip, we traveled at different times of the day but sill saw lots of wildlife in Canada. For us, we had no issues coming through Customs at any of the places we crossed. We did hear stories about having RV's searched and it taking 45 minute to a couple hours. Not sure what the issues were, but....
Safe travels.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Thank you for the update. What chance do you think the road will be better in late August. We're coming in about that time and adding Delta Juncton adds about 125 miles to the trip down to Valdez.

Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Thank you for the update. What chance do you think the road will be better in late August. We're coming in about that time and adding Delta Juncton adds about 125 miles to the trip down to Valdez.

Thanks again.
No chance, as this is a two year project!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

I'd recommend just driving below 30mph on that section. It's not that long. You're in Alaska, after all! That's like the Destruction Bay area some years. You just have to drive slow.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

I felt the Tok Glen cutoff was beyond "normal terrible" for Alaska this year. Sterling Hwy is being worked and isn't too bad just a little slow.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Angry

Just want to let people know that some of he of the larger Alaska State camp grounds will be closed this year due to dead trees. I have listed two of them below, you can also go to the Alaska State Park Campgrounds @
dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/campsitelist.htm[ to check on the rest.

NOTICE: South Rolly Lake Campground is currently CLOSED for all of 2019 due to elevated danger from falling beetle-kill trees. Work is currently underway to clear out hazardous trees.

NOTICE: Byers Lake Campground is currently CLOSED for all of 2019 due to elevated danger from falling beetle-kill trees. Work is currently underway to clear out hazardous trees.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

I would like to see other reports on the Tok-Glenn cutoff if you go that way.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

We are headed to Alaska June 5 and are scheduled to do the Tok/Glenn cutoff around the third week in July. I will watch for postings if there are any changes. 15 miles even at 5 MPH is probably tolerable. We did 22 miles of virtually no road from Lusk Wyoming to the Nebraska border last summer. Dirt, washboard, no shoulder, no place to pull off - totally ripped up and under construction. Took us close to three hours to go the 22 miles and still shook things loose in my MH.
HJRosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post

Thanks again.

The Tok cut-off is always in bad shape. Otherwise Alaska does a good job on repairing their roads.

This link is a website for all the ongoing and planned road construction this summer in Alaska.

Alaskanavigator.org
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJRosch View Post
We are headed to Alaska June 5 and are scheduled to do the Tok/Glenn cutoff around the third week in July. I will watch for postings if there are any changes. 15 miles even at 5 MPH is probably tolerable. We did 22 miles of virtually no road from Lusk Wyoming to the Nebraska border last summer. Dirt, washboard, no shoulder, no place to pull off - totally ripped up and under construction. Took us close to three hours to go the 22 miles and still shook things loose in my MH.

I did that same section in Wyoming last year and it was worse than anything I went through in Alaska this year. I drove the Tok cutoff twice this summer, both times at 15 mph over the 12 mile section under construction. I never once considered going up to Delta Junction and glad I didnt - would have been a waste of time. And the Alcan from Tok to the border is FAR worse than the Tok Cutoff. Headed down the Cariboo in BC tomorrow and so happy to have the frost heaves and bad pavement behind me. But I sure wish I was still standing in the Kenai reeling in reds. Heaven
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #11

We just got back from AK a week ago, didn't think the Tok cutoff was any worse than any number of other roads, like everybody else says, just slow down and enjoy the ride! we drove the worst part about 25-30 mph and it was fine.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

Agree, the TOK cutoff was fine if you drove the state of the road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

We spent 60 days traveling Canada and Alaska. Returning home to PA I found that I-70 in IN was as bad if not worse than any road we were on in Alaska. It matched any frost heave we encountered. We even came across the Top of the World Highway that was better than I-70 for a gravel road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9814.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	257251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9794.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	257252  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_170924.jpg