RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #15

We traveled from Upstate NY.
2 1/2 months
12,000 miles
$12,000
$3,800 went for gas

So we spent roughly about $170 a day. The biggest single category was fuel. When we were on the road we would spend at least $100 a day on fuel. We got 9 mpg towing a 25' Keystone Bullet. At first I cried every time we filled up, but after a while it was just another day at the pump.

When you consider that while we were on the road we weren't spending any money at home for groceries, fuel, dining, etc. I don't think the cost was excessive and with a little effort we probably could have got away a little cheaper.

Nrbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

I think our ferry trip was around $1600.00, but the cost is per foot when over 22'. We were 22.5. I believe the total for the trip was about $5k which was mostly fuel. We live in Phoenix, OR, so our trip was a little shorter than some.

Yes I'm sorry we missed the Canadian Rockies too. We did visit Glacier several times, and have visited most of the other parks in the US. Perhaps one day we will go on up into Canada from Glacier. That is where I planned to re-enter the US on our AK trip. Thanks for the info.

I never include the cost of food or other items we would use at home as part of the trip cost. We only overnighted in campgrounds a few times, and all of them were without hook ups and not very costly. We didn't have any problem finding places to dump and fill.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #17

Cost can be lower or higher than a stated cost. The only thing you can't change is fuel. You can adjust by not eating out as much or by not staying in the pricey RV parks but instead, using the public parks or lovely boondocking areas. Doing extra attractions will also raise your cost - fishing, glacier cruises (although you should do at least one). Get the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book for savings on some main attractions.

Depending on how many times you think you'd make the trip; do all you can. For many, it's a once in a lifetime trip.

The same can be said for the amount of time spent. Ideally you would cross the Canadian border by the end of May and begin heading back late August. You've spent the fuel getting there so don't rush the trip. Canada and the Yukon are just as fabulous as Alaska. Don't rush through them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
So I have read a lot of these posts but still have one question. What was the total cost of doing this trip. I would be leaving from a Houston TX. So I know my total miles would be high but still wondering what did you spend to do this trip. More resent trip cost is appreciated.

Thank For replies.

Enjoy the journey
We took a 4 month trip from Austin Texas thru Canada and Alaska (around 12k miles, not counting toad sightseeing miles) in 2018 and our overall cost averaged around $200/day. This included some souvenirs for family members.

We boondocked as much as possible, but diesel and campground cost totals ended up being about the same. Diesel cost and food costs were both very expensive in Canada!

Randy
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #19

Costs:
Fuel in Canada runs $1.09 to $1.39 per liter, 3.8 liters the gallon, $CDN usually at US$0.70. Fuel in Alaska runs about $3.50. Campground fees average about $35 per night. Food is a bit more at the grocery and eating out, call it 10%. Adult beverages are a lot more, bordering on double the cost.

A common cash cost for a two to three month trip will be in the range of $10,000. You can vary that number a lot depending on the attractions you pay for, boondocking vs campground, fuel efficiency, cooking vs eating out.

In our case, we have dedicated space in Alaska for the 3 months. Fuel costs around $4,000 in a 42' DP with a Cat C-13 engine. Other costs amount to maybe $1,000 for the 3 months. I figure we spend money on food no matter where we are, and for beverages and entertainment. So that works out to $5,000 more than we would have spent had we not gone.

Some folks keep a detailed budget and will have a more precise answer. We have done this trip for 13 years, so I am happy this reply is accurate for our circumstances. Have fun and enjoy the trip.
Tee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #20
laj

have done alaska 3 times, planing my 4th for next yr. i go pretty cheap. i use a hundred a day everything in plus ferry. comes out within 400 for the total cost of the trip. if one wanted to squeeze a little tighter its possible. nice thing about alaska you are in control of your trip. i don’t make reservations for anything but the ferries.
i plan on doing the trip every 2 yrs. as long as i am in good health and can enjoy the trip.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #21

To everyone that replied on cost. THANKS. What you shared gives me a better range of true cost than I had. The trip is in my near future so wanted to start the planning and total cost is a big part of it.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
have done alaska 3 times, planing my 4th for next yr. i go pretty cheap. i use a hundred a day everything in plus ferry. comes out within 400 for the total cost of the trip. if one wanted to squeeze a little tighter its possible. nice thing about alaska you are in control of your trip. i.
Planning a trip for 2021 and was wondering what you figure your daily cost would be if you exclude ferries.
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #23
laj

100 a day. there are things that some buy that i don’t that can run the cost up really fast.nothing processed, just fresh fruits and vegetables.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #24

Also planning a 2020 trip to Alaska, starting from NH early May, hitting Glacier NP approx 3 weeks later. Exploring the option of coming home via the inside passage ferry. How far in advance do I need to make reservations for the ferry? We’re driving a Winnie Navion, no toad.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #25

I used the Alaska Marine highway ferry in May to get from Bellingham, Wa. to Whittier, Ak.. Made the reservation in Feb.
Not many dates available at that time, should have booked earlier, but it was my first time, next time will book in Dec for May of following year.
winningbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #26
laj

i book at least 6 months in advance min. it all depends on what month i want to use it. it maybe a little far out, but i want to be sure.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
Also planning a 2020 trip to Alaska, starting from NH early May, hitting Glacier NP approx 3 weeks later. Exploring the option of coming home via the inside passage ferry. How far in advance do I need to make reservations for the ferry? We’re driving a Winnie Navion, no toad.
Why not take the ferry up? May is a beautiful time to do it... we've done it at that time. The ferry and small towns aren't crowded and the waterfalls you'll see from the ferry are all running full. Make reservations as soon as you can.

By driving on your return the campgrounds and attractions will be in full operation, the lakes will be un-frozen and when you get to Glacier Nat'l Park the Going-to-the Sun Hwy may be open. It opens late and it's a must do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:50 AM   #28

Looks like the answer is “the earlier, the better”. Anyone had any luck in getting a ferry and cabin reservation at the last minute? Trying to be spontaneous and not make reservations along the way. Also, several have mentioned avoiding snow/ice if we take the ferry up and drive back. Based on previous years, what are the chances we’ll run into snow/ice if we cross into Canada from Montana the first of May? Just received The Milepost yesterday and haven’t had a chance to start reading the fine print. Geez, sooo much fine print.

BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, travel