Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #57

To answer my own question about the ferry schedule, I received a response to my query to the Alaska ferry service. They don’t expect to publish the schedule until sometime at the end of Jan or beginning of Feb. You can sign up on the Alaska ferry service website to be notified when the schedule is published and also receive large number of other Alaska transportation warnings, notices and info.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
99% of Alaska has not rental cars or Ubers. If I couldn't tow, I wouldn't go. Do you really want to break camp every day in order to sight-see?
Another side to this is the way we did it, and that would depend on the size of your RV and the need to be in a developed campground as compared to "boondocking".

When we went we had a 11.5 Caribou camper on a 4wd diesel truck with a 60 gal usable fuel supply, and we averaged 16 mpg. Generally, we overnighted in BLM/USFS campgrounds, wide spots in the road, a few large grocery store lots that allowed that, and "somewhat" developed campgrounds. We didn't have hookups any place we stayed. Our camper was small enough to park on the street and drive through traffic anywhere we wanted to go, and with 4wd we could get off the beaten path a bit if desired. There was no hassle leaving any campground because we weren't connected to anything. We spent several days at some places and it was just a matter of driving away and coming back to park just as you would with your car at home, or your toad. We had no problem finding places to dump and fill. That is the way we've always camped wherever we've gone for the last 40+ years.

For me, the beauty in that is that there are no schedules or commitments that forces one to be in a certain place at a certain time, except the ferry. We had already planned the places we wanted to see and the routes that would take us there, with the freedom to stay as long as we wished and to visit other places we hadn't originally planned to.

It was a great trip, and my wife has the small vial of gold she panned for at Chicken to prove it. :-))

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #59
laj

the beauty, and luxury of a o/u and camper[emoji850]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman77 View Post
I am planning on going up in June of 2020. I have a toy hauler and wonder if I should bring my RZR. It is licence for the pavement here in Az. I could use it to run around instead of unhooking trailer - but it takes up room in trailer (non garage model) and I am undecided if I should bring it. Any opinions?
I'm about to buy a SxS and planning on taking it with me to Alaska in late June. I just started to look into this - one source said much of Alaska is public lands and open to the public. Another said there's no registration for SxSs, yet. I haven't found out if they're legal in the small villages or not, or if they're 'street legal'. I just Googled a few terms and answers popped up. IE Alaska UTV Laws
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #61

What I found out about SXS in Alaska. You can't license them for the pavement but you can ride on the public lands - not Nat Parks though. I am still up in the air as to bringing mine on the trip. A lot of plus and minuses.
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #62

Time to order your Alaskan publications for travel this summer.

- the Milepost (good for history and maps along the way)

- Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' - it includes Canada and the Yukon and RV parks and boondocking spots. Very helpful with good directions

- the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book - one glacier tour will pay for the book and you'll want to do at least one!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
We have booked a 48 day Fantasy RV Tours Caravan tour of Alaska Summer 2020. Anyone else on board?
RDAVIS6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAVIS6507 View Post
We have booked a 48 day Fantasy RV Tours Caravan tour of Alaska Summer 2020. Anyone else on board?
I have always wanted to go . Please tell more on this .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Caravan to Alaska

We booked a 48-day RV Caravan Tour of Alaska and Canada with Fantasy RV Tours at the FMCA Rally in Minot, ND August 2019.

It appears to us that the cost is "worth it" given: Campground reservations included, also many meals and excursions. You also have experienced Wagon Master and Tail-gunner to guide and help you. Strength in numbers and the friendships among your fellow RV'ers in the group are benefits.

We are leaving MO in mid-June and returning the end of August.

We figured that for a first time trip to Alaska, it would be good to go the (expensive) caravan tour route.

Check Fantasy Tours on-line and you can see a segment about them on "The RVers" on the Discovery Channel.

Captain Randy
RDAVIS6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #66

I like the info you gave , strength in numbers !.
I will look into that . My wife gets home this weekend .
I may have a surprise for her .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:37 AM   #67
dp7

dump stations & potable water fills

I am planning to make the Alaska trip this summer & do some boondocking. I haven't done a lot of boondocking recently, but in the past have found that some potable water fills used a hose without a threaded fitting. Just a rubber hose for inserting into a fresh water tank fill port.

Since my current coach only has a threaded fill port I am concerned about filling the fresh water tank at dump stations in Canada & Alaska that only have unthreaded fill hoses.

Do most of the dump stations have threaded or unthreaded potable water fill hoses?
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #68

We got our water from many various public sources - the fresh water spigot at dump stations, filling stations that advertise fresh potable water, welcome centers, etc. Never had a problem with water. We do use a good filter and also a filter at the kitchen sink. We always drink, do dishes from the water in our tank. No issues.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
RDAVIS6507, we did the 61 day Alaska tour with Fantasy in 2017 and had a great time. We are Tail Gunners on the 62 day this year. Hope you enjoy your trip. You will be very busy.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #70
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We got our water from many various public sources - the fresh water spigot at dump stations, filling stations that advertise fresh potable water, welcome centers, etc. Never had a problem with water. We do use a good filter and also a filter at the kitchen sink. We always drink, do dishes from the water in our tank. No issues.
So you didn't encounter any fill hoses without threaded fittings?

Tags
alaska, travel