Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #29

We did Alaska this summer with a caravan of 20 other rigs. Because of this we were restricted to campgrounds that could handle that many rigs, so gravel parking lots were what we used.
I did break off from the caravan at Whitehorse and Watson lake and camped with 3 other rigs in providential parks. The providential parks in the Yukon were great but no hookups.

If I were to do this again (I won't) I would consider using providential parks for most of my stops. In the popular places I would make reservations, especially Denali. Public parks in the Yukon do not take reservations.

We entered Canada June 18 and left Canada August 29 with snow reported in the southern Yukon. If your schedule allows, do Jasper, the ice fields parkway, Banff and Glacier N.P and allow 2 weeks. Make advance reservation.

I agree using the AK highway north and the Cassier south. Northbound I would not recommend the over the top highway through Dawson City as the nearly 100 miles of gravel road to Chicken will do your rig no good. Dawson City was fun to visit and the ferry across the Yukon was different but not worth the dust and potential damage to the RV. The over the top highway is nothing special - there are more scenic roads in the lower 48.

There is lots to do in both Canada & AK so take the time and do the research to enjoy it. That's where a caravan was nice, we saw and did things I doubt we would have done had we done it ourselves. But if you do the research you can get the info yourself. However the caravan people know what you'll like and they do all the planning. We were kept busy on our 72 day caravan, almost too busy but very glad we went this route vs doing it ourselves. The companionship of others in the caravan was nice on this 2.5 month trip. Our dog had plenty of friends - 14 dogs and 3 cats on our caravan.

Buy protection for your toad. A bra and windshield protection is enough.

The roads for the most part were good but like others have said expect construction repair delays. The AK highway is not an interstate but more like a county 2 lane highway. Note the Cassier highway does not have a shoulder.

Most frost heaves are marked, we leaned real quick to slow down.

We averaged about 200 miles on travel days, and most stops were more than one night. The most were 6 nights in Fairbanks. So spending time at each stop breaks the trip up and it doesn't seem so long.

Make sure your rig can do this. There are repair shops along the way but they can be 200 + miles away and that's a long tow. Many of the rigs in our caravan had issues, usually minor that could be self fixed or could wait to the next stop where repair facilities were available. So take tools to do self repair. The nice thing about a caravan, usually someone in the group can fix a minor problem.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #30

We got a cabin from from Wrangel to Sitka, but we were already on the ferry. We hadn't planned on doing that, but I caught a bit of a cold, flue, or something and decided a cabin would be best because of that.

I would be with others who advise to make reservations as far in advance as possible. Also, if you plan to get off at destinations along the way the whole itinerary should be planned and booked early. There are some interesting places to visit along the way that can only be reached by boat or aircraft. A day or two at Juneau to visit the Mendenhall Glacier and/or whatever interests you, a side trip from Sitka to Glacier Bay, etc. When off the ferry to visit places we overnighted there in FS campgrounds, Walmarts, or whatever was available.

The ferry people need to know who's going where and when in advance so they can arrange vehicles on the ferry in a manner that facilitates moving them on and off efficiently. It was amazing to me how that worked.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
Looks like the answer is “the earlier, the better”. Anyone had any luck in getting a ferry and cabin reservation at the last minute? Trying to be spontaneous and not make reservations along the way. Also, several have mentioned avoiding snow/ice if we take the ferry up and drive back. Based on previous years, what are the chances we’ll run into snow/ice if we cross into Canada from Montana the first of May? Just received The Milepost yesterday and haven’t had a chance to start reading the fine print. Geez, sooo much fine print.
If we were to do the ferry again we wouldn't get a cabin. The lounge chairs are comfortable enough for sleeping. The cabins are extremely tiny so all you'd do in them is sleep.

The first of May for crossing into Canada is too early to really enjoy the trip. Two or three weeks later would be much better. Many campgrounds won't be open yet nor will the popular attractions. The lakes will be frozen so they won't look as pretty. The rivers will be running full force.

When we drove up and back the only reservations we made for the whole summer were for the July 4 weekend and for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground - the farthest you can drive in the park. For those we made reservations only a couple weeks out as we were moving so we could better judge when we'd be in the area.

I'd definitely make reservations for the ferry. Not only tourists use it but island residents use it for back and forth. School sport teams use it for inter-island play. It's really fun to talk to the natives about their life!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:20 AM   #32

Thanks to everyone for all for the info. We too had initially planned to join a caravan but, after considering the 10k price tag for 60 days and that our little Navion would be sandwiched between 20 or so Class A’s, we decided to go it alone. “Winging it” is more our lifestyle. Timjet, I’m already looking into the hood bra idea. Aside from additional insurance, what kind of protection would I find for the windshield? I’ve read in The Milepost that the quality of water can be an issue for much of the trip. Anyone have any problems and, if so, how did you deal with it? Am considering getting a gravity feed water purifier to fill gallon jugs for the all important morning coffee and cooking uses. Gee, planning for the trip is almost as much fun as doing it.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #33

Blue, I did not find any water quality issues. My wife likes to use bottled water for drinking and coffee, but when it wasn't available due to poor planning we used campground water.
I found our windshield cover on Amazon, but be sure it fits snug. Ours flapped on the side damaging the paint on the bars that support the roof of the car. I put duck tape on that support structure and that fixed it.

Concerning the caravans, we went with a retired veterans group called S.M.A.R.T. All of these people are volunteers and the Wagon Master and Tail Gunner only get their expenses paid. So it was a bit cheaper than the other for profit caravans. I'm very glad we went this route for like I mentioned above they know what you want to see. We also had guaranteed spots each night but will admit the CG's we went to were mostly gravel parking lots. So going on a caravan is not about the camping experience but more about seeing Canada and Alaska.

If you have a smaller RV <30 ft you will probably want to use public parks as much as possible - if you have a generator. Our 40 footer was fine but you will have more site choices especially on busy weekends. Remember Canadians and Alaskan's like to camp too. As I mentioned above public parks give you a much better camping experience and are cheap. Towing a car you can camp several miles from whatever you want to do. Take advantage of the public CG's to the extent you can, much better than the gravel more expensive private parks.

I don't do retail business parking lots but would consider boondocking if it's really necessary. Just be sure where you boondock it's legal. Many people do boondock but the experience in the public parks is so nice. Firewood is free in the Yukon.
Both sold
Old 11-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #34

Timjet, your last response seems to indicate that the windshield protection was for the toad rather than the RV. If so, we’re not towing so that won’t be a concern. If, however, you’ve found a protective cover for the RV windshield, please give me a reference. Next, in our travels across the lower 48 we’ve generally found that state/county/provincial campgrounds are our preference for quiet, services, beauty and for getting us away from the maddening crowds. We plan to do the same on the Alaska trip. Finally, I raised the water issue only because it seemed to feature prominently in The Milepost and the companion campground guide. No reputable coffee snob wants to start the day with coffee made from bad/overly treated water. May carry the purifier just in case. It would be a memorable trip indeed were we to start every morning for three months drinking bad coffee. Again, thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and advice.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #35

Yes I was referring to a tow car windshield protector. Not many but some folks do have RV windshield protection. I saw one guy put bubble wrap on his windshield below his eye level. Looked really bad but I'm sure it made him feel better.

I did not have RV windshield protection and I did get one very little chip on my windshield. Easily fixed, I just haven't done it yet.

I don't recall anyone in our caravan complaining about water, but again just buy bottled water. Plenty of grocery stores have a gallon for a couple of bucks. Remember everything in CA is more expensive.

If you're not towing, how are you going to get around? Unless you are caravaning with someone who does, you will miss out on a lot. But disregard above if you're RV is small enough to park in a normal spot. Most public CG's along the AK highway don't take reservations. On weekends plan to arrive a little earlier, otherwise you shouldn't have a problem. Most don't have hookups so you'll probably need a generator. Portable are OK, I don't recall if they have quite hours, but probably do.

We filled our water tank and dumped at the private CG's we stayed at. If you're considering Public CG's you'll need to research where you can do this.
Both sold
Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #36

Our diesel Navion is 26 ft, fully self (genny and solar) contained and easy to maneuver in town and, in many cases, park on the street. Our usual routine is in early afternoon reserve or at least call ahead for a campground or find a boondocking area then sightsee and/or shop before checking in for the night. Given the bulk of a Class A, I can see why you tow. If we’re going to be on site for a week or so, we just rent a car or use Uber. We towed one summer and found it to be more of a hassle than it was worth. If we find a spot close enough to town, we just bike in. Without making reservations too far in advance, our travel plans are probably far more flexible than those with Class A’s or pulling large trailers. Besides, we get 16 mpg which should help quite a bit with expenses in Can and AK.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #37

The planning for our AK trip included studying weather/rainfall charts in order to schedule our trip during the best weather. We decided June and July would be best based on that information. However, someone else had other plans for those months and the wetter May weather occurred in June and the drier June weather in May. Hard to win sometimes.

Having a preference to follow our own inclinations, we went alone in a diesel 4wd 23' TC with gen and AC and without a toad. We had 60 gal of usable fuel at 16 mpg. It was perfect for the trip and took us everywhere we wanted to go, including several days each at Chicken panning for gold (DW), Dawson City, Kennicott Copper Mine, Denali, Talkeetna (home of Don Sheldon one of my aviation heros) and many other places DW and I had dreamed about since childhood.

We did no planning about places to stay but had several books covering that subject to fall back on if my "seat of the pants" method of doing that failed at some point. That all worked out well for us too, and we were able to overnight/camp at some of the most unique and/or beautiful places imaginable.

However it is done, it can and should be the trip of a lifetime, ours was.

Steve

Old 11-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #38

And Steve, that’s pretty much how we travel too. Just wanted to be reassured that “the last wilderness” isn’t as scary, wild or “out there” as some guide books and novels would have you believe. After all, “The Yukon” is the land of grizzlies, wolves, mountain men in coonskin hats, untamed natives and gas stations that are just a few more miles farther down a dirt road than your tank will take you. Scary stuff to people who live only minutes away from a Walmart. Steve, did you have to reserve in advance for a camping spot at Denali and, if so, how far in advance?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #39

Quote:
And Steve, that’s pretty much how we travel too. Just wanted to be reassured that “the last wilderness” isn’t as scary, wild or “out there” as some guide books and novels would have you believe...... Steve, did you have to reserve in advance for a camping spot at Denali and, if so, how far in advance?
... and that's how we traveled in our 40' motorhome, also. We didn't use one private park during the whole summer. We used public parks or boondocked on beautiful lands; often within view of a lake or river. As far as Denali.... I replied earlier that we did make reservations for staying IN the park at Teklanika campground for 5 nights & for that one I would advise you to do so. We made the reservation as we were traveling and only a few weeks out when we could better judge when we'd be in the area. However, we were nearby a little early so on a whim we boondocked at a lovely spot and early morning we easily secured a spot for an additional 5 nights in Denali's front campground, Riley Creek. There is plenty to do in both areas and we saw THE mountain 7 of 10 days and every one of the big animals more than once. (Some folks don't even see the mountain or all the animals if staying a short time).

Taking bikes? Unless you stay in a town there's really no good place for a casual ride other than the highway. Make sure you have a very tight cover for the bikes or they'll be thick with grim. I also saw a pic of a grizzly chases a biker!

Bra for the front of the vehicle? I really think it would do more harm because the grit gets down into it and rubs the paint. We didn't have any protection for the front of the RV or for our towed vehicle and received no damage. The secret is to drive SLOW, especially on gravel roads with oncoming traffic. Many times we could easily just pull as far as we could to the right and stop completely when a big truck was approaching. It seemed to work.

You can read about many horror stories but if anything happens it very, very few. It's a very safe, easily doable trip... just a long one. In your mind, break it down into smaller portions and it won't seem so long.

Definitely use the Yukon Provincial Parks. They are extremely nice.

Also, don't plan on car rental or Uber unless you're in a big city like Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Be sure to get Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping'. It's the only reference you'll need. It includes pvt. parks, public parks and boondocking areas with good directions. They've traveled back and forth for years and lived in Fairbanks at one time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #40

It didn't seem that scary to me, I loved it. My wife on the other hand allowed her anxiety to get the best of her and we came home a couple of weeks early, missing the planned Canadian Rockies part of the trip.

We didn't have reservations for anything but the ferry, but I would agree with the Gypsies that it would be a good idea to do that at Denali. We were only there for one day and two nights, but the mountain was out and we got some great pics. The bus driver said that was like winning the lottery twice. If it was like our trip you will see a lot of wildlife and some large brown bears.

If you don't make reservations for the campground at Denali, you will need to stop at the office on the way in to get a camping permit. We drove right on by it going to the campground in the late evening/night only to learn that we would need to go back and get a permit from the office before we could camp. I'm thinking it is about 20-30 miles, possibly more, from one to the other on a gravel road and slow traveling.

I learned while we were there that by applying for a permit it is possible to take a shotgun across the Canadian border and on into AK. There have been several threads about that here. We didn't know about that on our trip, but we had no problems without it.

I think "Alaska Camping" was one of the books we had too, along with a Milepost and a huge map I got somewhere long before our trip.

Steve

Old 11-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #41

Steve, that’s what I wanted to hear. Making ferry arrangements from Denali gives us much more flexibility on our trip than making reservations months in advance. Good advice on the Denali campground situation too. We have a five page, single spaced checklist to get us ready for the road, The Milepost, the campground book by the Churches, a AAA for every state and province we’ll be driving through and high hopes and expectations. I think we’re as prepared as we can be. So now we wait for May.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Steve, that’s what I wanted to hear. Making ferry arrangements from Denali gives us much more flexibility on our trip than making reservations months in advance. Good advice on the Denali campground situation too. We have a five page, single spaced checklist to get us ready for the road, The Milepost, the campground book by the Churches, a AAA for every state and province we’ll be driving through and high hopes and expectations. I think we’re as prepared as we can be. So now we wait for May.
I'm sorry, but my poor choice of wording mislead you about making ferry arrangements from Denali. To the best of my knowledge you will have to make the ferry reservations in advance, I was speaking more about making the Denali reservations in advance in agreement with the Gypsies. To be certain about the ferry reservations I would suggest contacting them and letting them know what your plans are to get their response/guidance. I think that would be the safest approach. I only know what we did and experienced, your plans may be different and will require different actions.

We took the ferry on our way up so we wouldn't have that commitment to meet coming back. Doing it that way allowed us to conduct the rest of the trip without commitments or time constraints. I also planned it so there would be a minimum of back tracking.

Again, I'm sorry for misleading you. I hope your trip will go smoothly and be wonderful.

Steve

Tags
alaska, travel