RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Alaska Trip Road conditions

Trip Report to Alaska

Just got to Alaska and thought I would update the group on current road conditions.

Crossed into Canada on Hwy 97 in Washington at the Osoyoos Border Crossing and from there to Kamaloop using the 97C up to The Canada 1. This part of the trip was great other than the long pull up and over on Canada 97C. Stayed the night in the RV park in Ashcroft, not highly recommended since you are sandwiched between two active train tracks. From there up to Prince George on the 97 then the 16 to Fraser Lake with great road conditions. Overnighted at the Fraser Lake free campground on the lake. Wonderful spot and free, there is a train track but not as active as Aschcroft.

Leaving Fraser Lake and then on to the Cassiar Hwy 37 with a night stop outside of Iskut in a Rest Stop. This stop has a lower level next to the water you can park. Highly recommend since it is on the water. The drive up to Watson Lake was fine, road was well maintained with only a few rough spots, marked with signage, as you got closer to the turn off at Watson Lake. Stayed on the Alcan almost till Haines Junction with an overnight stop off the hwy. This section of the drive was good with most gas stations open but very few RV parks open. You will have to stay closer to a town if you need hookups. No great road maintenance was happening but all the rough spots were marked clearly with signs.

Woke up the next morning heading to Alaska. The road from Haines to Tok is in pretty good shape. I have drove it a few times and this time there was not as much frost heave ramps or as I call them suspension wreckers. I travel at close to the speed limit, the only parts that were a little rough was around Destruction Bay but it seemed way better than in the past. The section between Destruction Bay to Tok is clean and although the amount of whoppiedoes is still there the frost heave ramps are not bad and easily navigable at speed if there is no oncoming traffic. I often just scooted over to the other lane or was able to easily straddle the obstacles.

Now comes the worst section. From Tok to just outside of Palmer on the Glenn Hwy is terrible. The road is tore up, broken, rough road for the entire drive. If you are not driving on the tore up rough road then the dips get you porpoising. I came through on Sunday so no road construction but there is a lot of work to being done on the road. Between milepost 38 through 50 the road is in terrible condition, being worked on, with my speed limit in the 30's most of the drive. Once at Glenn Allen it doesn't get any better. The ride up and over in to Palmer was interspersed with road sections that were full of dips and others full of rough road.

If I had known it was so bad I would have gone to Delta Junction and came down or rearranged the trip with my first stop in Fairbanks. Although I don't know the road conditions on these ones yet but I have no desire to do the AK 1 any time soon. I hope this might help some people and hopefully some one will chime in with the road conditions on Hwy 3 and 4.

ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Good information, thank you.

tbos1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
This was our experience last year. Tok to Palmer terrible, Fairbanks to Tok good.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #4

Tok to Palmer will never be perfect. That frost heave country. Just drive slow and enjoy the scenery.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

Alaska roads are hit or miss...depends on what kind of winter/weather they've had, and where. The general consciences, if entering around 97, is to go up to Dawson Creek(a visit to Kinuseo Falls near Tumbler Ridge is worth the bumpy road, in the TOAD that is), and take the Alcan into Tok and beyond. This road is more heavily traveled and repair is started and completed sooner than the Cassiar early in the season. Some backyard, huh?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

Drove down to Homer, the Sterling Hwy is being repaired in several spots from Cooper Landing down to Soldotna. Just slow going with a couple of waits for the pilot cars.

I like the Cassiar, especially earlier in the season. There is less traffic, I see more animals and the BC parks along this stretch are fantastic. It can be a little more snow prone but I can always take a few days to play in the snow while it clears.

ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip