Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Baha Peninsula

My wife and I just came up with the bright idea of a trip down the the Baha Peninsula all the way to Cabo San Lucas (spelling). Has anyone done this, andis it safe considering this is Mexico?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

probably best to travel in a caravan, especially the first time. TJ is not a place to get lost in these days.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We hear all kinds of horror stories here in AZ about travel in Mexico. I have never had a problem but....I cannot speak of traveling down the Baja side but a friend that was a trucker used to drop his shipment off in the US for transport to Mexico via Tijuana. He had to remove all lighting form the trailer when he dropped it because they would be stripped when it came back.

I have traveled extensively down the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez. I have never had a problem nor have I known anyone who has. The fact of the matter is the locals need the business and if you stay on the main roads you should be safe. They are improving the roads on this side of the Sea. Check out Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) or San Carlos (a little farther south). Additionally, there are membership campgrounds that have very secluded camps along there. I know the people that use those travel in caravans.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Article in the Houston paper the other day about how the Americans are feeling UNsafe in Mexico. Yes, the propbelm is small, but it is getting worse. I keep my money on this side of the border.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend of mine was traveling from Texas toward Zacatecas where he owns a business. Knowing about the dangers he elected to drive on Sunday and stick to the Toll and Main roads. It went well until Monterrey when a car parked on the side of the Highway pulled across the roadway blocking his path .They relieved him of all his money and his brand new truck but didn't take his credit card or his life although they did hold a gun to his head.
Other than that, it was a pretty nice trip after he replaced all of his stuff.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

We live in Mexico during the winter. It is too big a place to paint with one stroke of a brush. Just like our country, there is good and bad.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Dont go spend your money here
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
Dont go spend your money here
Sorry Pete, what we want is simply not available in the US. We live half a mile from the Caribbean in a gated community around a golf course. The cost of living is far less there. Our agent rents the condo to vacationing Mexicans during the summer. Sometimes, if we are lucky, we bring home some of their money!
But don't worry too much, she is retired from Honda so its Japanese money we spend in Mexico.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #10

What can they have that we don't ????
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
What can they have that we don't ????
Small Arms fire & Bloodshed
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, other than MickBrennan, does anyone have personal experience? MickBrennan's experience sounds good. There are a lot of campgrounds on the peninsula, so I assumed someone was using them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

I have traveled the baja peninsula for over 20 years. (im only 35). I have been going for surf, offroad races, recreation etc. about 2-3 times a year since i was 15. I have lots of horror stories and many more terrific ones that by far outweigh the bad ones. Obviousely safety is the #1 priority when driving and staying in Mexico and it shouldn’t be taken lightly. Everyone is afraid of being robbed, raped, or killed... (and this should also be taken seriously) but of my years down there so far the #1 killer has been traffic accidents/collisions. Here are my tips/advice/warnings...

1. If you can, dont shoot for cabo your first trip. I dont know where your coming from, but try for San Felipe, Ensenada, San Quintin, or even Bahia De Los angeles. These are all great spots but dont require multiple night stops and hanging yourself out too far in case of problems. You will learn soooo much on a short trip and it will make your long journey to cabo much better when are prepared with the knowledge of baja.
2. Tires - You will need at least two spare tires!!! do not go to baja without TWO! And do not go to baja with bald tires! You will need a jack and you need to be comfortable handling a blowout, pulling over in a dangerous area, and changing your own tire. I would say that i have had a blow out 40% of the time in Baja.
3. Prepare for the worst hope for the best. You need to be prepared to be your own mechanic and paramedic. These are not services that are regular on the side of the road in Baja and you could wait for days before anyone "helps" you. Bring as many extra parts and tools for your rig as you own. Also bring the biggest emergency kit (not just a first aid kit) as you can find. Be prepared for medical emergencies and lifesaving knowledge to help others and yourself. Of all my horror stories down in baja... ALL of them have been traffic accidents. (some with fatal endings)
4. Narrow roads. The roads in the middle 3/4 of the stretch to Cabo is very narrow and has no shoulder. There is a lot of Truck and Bus traffic coming up an down the only main road. This is the scariest part of driving, is passing these guys in an RV. Give them a wide birth.
5. ONLY DRIVE IN DAYLIGHT!!! Even on the roads i have traveled 100 times down there, i do not feel comfortable on them at night. To many unknown factors. Being robbed is only about 20% of what you should be afraid of, the rest is the unknown that only you will find out on your journey.
6. Fill up your fuel tank when you see fuel and NOT when your getting low. There could be stretches for 300 miles where fuel is not available. Some of the middle and remote places only get fuel once a day and i have had to wait overnight for the fuel truck to show up before i could get fuel.
7. Firewood. firewood is basically non existent down there so plan on brining your own. or paying $5 for a bundle of beach wood and dried cactus that someone gathered.
8. If you can, caravan with at least one other rig. This exponentially helps your chances of getting out of any bad situation. Try to get short band radios for communication.
9. Print out Maps and emergency contact info and have them handy up in the cab. Input emergency contact info on your cel phone before going down. Cel service may or may not be available, but its good to have emergency info already programed.

Here is a good website I just shared on another thread. http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/thebaja.htm

It might sound scary or difficult but you got to remember that some of the best things are hard to get and it makes it worth it. Just take it slow, enjoy the scenery, eat the local food, and have fun. I will be going back down in June and again in November. If you decide where your going, let me know and i will let you know if i have personal experience there. Good luck and be safe!!!
KUZN EDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Davedeb1,
I have spent the winter in Baja Sur for the last 6 years, camping on a Beach near Mulege. The first couple of years we traveled with friends, but due to health they now stay in Yuma. For the last 4 years we have traveled by ourselfs. I would suggest a website: vagabundos del mar, there web site is Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat & Travel Club - Mexican Insurance, Baja & Mexico Group Activities and Tours. It is a Baja travel club, and they have a Baja Buddies site, for people wish to travel with some one, insurance and other helpful advice. Second I would suggest (our bible) Camping Baja by Mike and Terri Church. Good Luck, and about the crime, two winters ago, while in Baja, my home in California was broken into an looted! LEMO
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote