Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Canada 99 North from Vancouver

In the stages of planing our trip out of Victoria via the ferry to Vancouver. Heading to Banff and was thinking a few nights in Whistler would be nice. Any issues with 99 beyond Whistler and hooking up with Hwy 1 at Cache Creek?
TIA
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Many very steep sections , switch backs and narrow road with no shoulder .

I drove the road on a hot July day in my mini van , and had to shut the A/C off to avoid overheating on the hills.
From the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal , my GPS showed the 99/1 route to Kamloops as shorter but driving time was 2+ hours longer; and that proved to be true.
JMHO: I hate the drive through Vancouver with a passion , but I wouldn't take my coach on the 99 route.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Did it about 4 years ago with 40' Country Coach & toad. Yes, some very steep grades and had a minor over-temp issue. Very scenic and we took a side trip in the toad.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ancient history: back in 1979 it was called the Duffy Lake Road, and was gravel the entire lenght from Pemberton to Lillooet. Our little Toyota motorhome handled it great, although we did have to share it with some large logging trucks. Now it looks like it's paved so at least it shouldn't be as bumpy as we found it!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Many very steep sections , switch backs and narrow road with no shoulder .
Did it southbound last October in a 40-foot moho with toad. No overheating issues because of the time of year, but we were s-l-o-w.

To compare, no way would I drive Hwy 550 between Durango and Montrose in Colorado with this setup, but would do this one again.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://www.whistlerrvpark.com/

DriveBC
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Did it southbound last October in a 40-foot moho with toad. No overheating issues because of the time of year, but we were s-l-o-w.
I'm sure it also helped with overheating that we were mostly going downhill. Duh. The exhaust brake got a workout.

We have a rear engine DP that loves to overheat, though, and the amount of air available on this route, compared to going over the passes in Colorado, would make me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
We stayed there and at the RV park in town. I preferred the one in town because it's closer to the action (you can walk to town from there, and parking in Whistler is challenging), but could get only a few nights there, so we moved to Whistler RV Park. We visited Brandywine Falls from that one.

The road up to Whistler RV Park is "interesting" in a big rig, but can be done.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #9

Canada 99 North from Vancouver

Question about the ferry. We are planning to take the ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. Can I boondock in the parking lot so I can get on the 6:30 departure? Also, what is the realistic drive time from Horseshoe Bay to Kamloops? Or is there a better midway stop enroute to Banff. (Probably hit Whistler on the return) So we are thinking hwy 1 all the way.

Also, does anyone know if the ferry parks motorhomes (40ft) on the upper deck? They guide lines state that people and pets can remain in their vehicle if they are on the upper deck, but can’t if they are on the lower deck.

TIA
J
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #10

Can't answer about boon docking at the ferry terminal , but your coach will be on the lower deck with the semis . Upper decks are all 8' ceiling.

JMHO: Coming off the island , I'd look into the sailings from Duke point , to Tsawwassen . That would get you out of Vancouver , quicker , without going through the Vancouver North Shore, Iron Workers Bridge, traffic SNARL. Probably save an hour drive time , between the terminal and Abbotsford.

I don't drive , Horseshoe Bay to Kamloops , if I'm going to the interior it's Kelowna I head to ; in the coach , towing , 6 hours, using the Coquihalla.

If your towing , you can save about $100 by having the toad driven on separately, problem is exiting Horseshoe Bay , there isn't a place for about 10 klms. to get off and hook up.

EDIT: BTW, the 6:30 sailing from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay will , offload into RUSH HOUR traffic , on the Northshore , JMHO the last place/time you want to be there in a coach. Picking a sailing that will offload about 10 will have less stress.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #11

As stated, if you are taking 99, go to Horseshoe Bay. For Hwy 1, sail to Tsawwassen.

We came down from Cache Creek to Whistler. The exhaust brake was on much of the way and we could smell burned brakes for a few hours after arriving in Whistler. Glad we we did it from a “been there, done that” perspective, but I would probably take the TCan in the future.

About half way, there is a railway bridge where the highway makes a 90 degree turn, so drivers from either direction cannot see oncoming traffic. The larger the vehicle, the slower you want to approach the bridge.

BC Ferries sometimes offers discounted RV rates on certain sailings, but your schedule has to be flexible to take advantage of those rates.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #12

Good info. Thanks regarding Duke Point to Tsawwassen. Did know about that route. Also thanks regarding unhooking the tow. Save money and it would allow us to park the jeep on the upper deck so we can stay in the jeep with the dog.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #13

So you prefer 1/5/5A/97C, then stop overnight and then 97,97A hooking back up to 1?

Where do you like to overnight in Kelowna?

Thanks for the advice. This is our first trip to Ca in the MH

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Can't answer about boon docking at the ferry terminal , but your coach will be on the lower deck with the semis . Upper decks are all 8' ceiling.

JMHO: Coming off the island , I'd look into the sailings from Duke point , to Tsawwassen . That would get you out of Vancouver , quicker , without going through the Vancouver North Shore, Iron Workers Bridge, traffic SNARL. Probably save an hour drive time , between the terminal and Abbotsford.

I don't drive , Horseshoe Bay to Kamloops , if I'm going to the interior it's Kelowna I head to ; in the coach , towing , 6 hours, using the Coquihalla.

If your towing , you can save about $100 by having the toad driven on separately, problem is exiting Horseshoe Bay , there isn't a place for about 10 klms. to get off and hook up.

EDIT: BTW, the 6:30 sailing from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay will , offload into RUSH HOUR traffic , on the Northshore , JMHO the last place/time you want to be there in a coach. Picking a sailing that will offload about 10 will have less stress.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #14

Jake, I lived in Kelowna for 55 years and still have friends and the DW's family there . Moved here to Powell River when I retired, so ferries , Horseshoe Bay and North Vancouver traffic, are an unfortunate part of my life.
Highway 5 will put you in Kamloops , faster than my trip into Kelowna , shorter distance from Merritt to Kamloops. Kelowna traffic is second only to Vancouver when it comes to grid lock, and part of the reason I left town .
BUT, the Coquihalla, section of #5, was the steepest grade freeway in North America when it was opened in 1986, so it will be a real work out for your vehicle. Highway 1, from Hope to Kamloops is more scenic than the 5 , and perhaps only 3/4 hour longer to drive, and easier on equipment .
If your DW and pet are staying in the vehicle , be sure to tell the ticket office that she wants to stay in the vehicle with your pet, in some cases due to loading volume , cars get put on the lower deck.
It's been years since I was through the Tsawwassen terminal in either direction , so I can't say how far from the ferry it would be before you can meet to hook up . Do you both carry cell phones? The island ferries are big ships don't get lost on board, always remember your parking deck level and use the same elevator or stairwell to go up/down to avoid getting confused.

EDIT: I must add , at my DW's insistence ; that due to ferry traffic volume during the summer , there is a chance that being separate , could mean that one or the other of your vehicles may not get on for the sailing and be delayed for several hours. So the $$$ savings may not be worth the trouble.

Tags
ada, canada