RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

Has anyone done any camping in New Brunswick Canada?

I would like to drive from Bar Harbor Maine next summer, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on folks that have camped there.

I'd like to know are the signs in English? Are there a lot of low and under weight Bridges? Do the campgrounds fill up in the summer? How is getting diesel fuel, truck stops etc...?

It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #2

"I'd like to know are the signs in English? Are there a lot of low and under weight Bridges?"

We drove the New Brunswick coast, mostly provincial highway 1 from PEI to ME a couple of years ago, don't remember any under weight bridges or low bridges. Was very much open highway, saw lots of tandem tractor trailers. Road signs were in English.

For us though there was plenty of places to get gas off the exits, but I tow a TT vs your 40'DP, so sorry no help on that point.

Mike

Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
"I'd like to know are the signs in English? Are there a lot of low and under weight Bridges?"

We drove the New Brunswick coast, mostly provincial highway 1 from PEI to ME a couple of years ago, don't remember any under weight bridges or low bridges. Was very much open highway, saw lots of tandem tractor trailers. Road signs were in English.

For us though there was plenty of places to get gas off the exits, but I tow a TT vs your 40'DP, so sorry no help on that point.

Mike
Thanks, not you're fault you use gas. Were the signs in English?
Old 07-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
Thanks, not you're fault you use gas. Were the signs in English?

yup, signs were both English and French in that order I mostly remember.

Mike
Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

I'd like to know are the signs in English? Are there a lot of low and under weight Bridges? Do the campgrounds fill up in the summer? How is getting diesel fuel, truck stops etc...?
New Brunswick signage is completely bilingual; English speakers don't have any problems.

We were just there last week and fueled our 40' DP twice on our way to PEI. There aren't a huge number of truck stops, but Google Maps finds them without issue. Be aware that at least one I know of is card-lock PetroPass site so it can't be used by RVers. But there are large truck stops in Edmundston and Aulac.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
New Brunswick

Stayed at Century Farms CG in St Martins New Brunswick last summer. Nice campground, right on the water. Great little town, with amazing tidal changes. Also don't miss the drive through Fundy National Park. Easy drive......
Old 07-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
New Brunswick signage is completely bilingual; English speakers don't have any problems.

We were just there last week and fueled our 40' DP twice on our way to PEI. There aren't a huge number of truck stops, but Google Maps finds them without issue. Be aware that at least one I know of is card-lock PetroPass site so it can't be used by RVers. But there are large truck stops in Edmundston and Aulac.

Joel (AKA docj)
Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinecpi View Post
Stayed at Century Farms CG in St Martins New Brunswick last summer. Nice campground, right on the water. Great little town, with amazing tidal changes. Also don't miss the drive through Fundy National Park. Easy drive......
Thanks, and yes plan on driving and hiking Fundy.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
yup, signs were both English and French in that order I mostly remember.

Mike
Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
larliebler-

We have traveled ME to PEI twice. Both times we stayed in Sussex, NB (KOA) on the northbound leg and Saint Andrews, NB (Kiwanis Oceanfront) on the southbound leg.

Sussex is a nice location from which to day-trip the Bay of Fundy. Head south, then east, finally looping back to the north-then-west through Moncton. There are campgrounds along that route. First time down it, I was happy I was using the toad, rather than the coach (towing the toad), because I didn't have to care much about road conditions.

Saint Andrews is very close to the border crossing at Calais, ME. It's thus easy to cross after the commuter rush, but before you get tired later in the day. If you stay at the Kiwanis Oceanfront, be aware the GPS will not give you the best route through town to the campground.

Signage is bilingual.

We usually gas up at a larger-than-usual station near Saint John, NB, on Route 1, and a station right off the exit to the Sussex KOA. I did find the pickings somewhat slim (we are spoiled by U.S. interstate services in the East). Not much showed up on the GPS as we went along, either.

My experience in PEI was that the locals like to drive at the upper end of the speed limit, maybe over, which conflicts somewhat with meandering, rubbernecking tourists. Seem to remember that held true in NB, too. We found the people in both provinces friendly and polite.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
larliebler-

We have traveled ME to PEI twice. Both times we stayed in Sussex, NB (KOA) on the northbound leg and Saint Andrews, NB (Kiwanis Oceanfront) on the southbound leg.

Sussex is a nice location from which to day-trip the Bay of Fundy. Head south, then east, finally looping back to the north-then-west through Moncton. There are campgrounds along that route. First time down it, I was happy I was using the toad, rather than the coach (towing the toad), because I didn't have to care much about road conditions.

Saint Andrews is very close to the border crossing at Calais, ME. It's thus easy to cross after the commuter rush, but before you get tired later in the day. If you stay at the Kiwanis Oceanfront, be aware the GPS will not give you the best route through town to the campground.

Signage is bilingual.

We usually gas up at a larger-than-usual station near Saint John, NB, on Route 1, and a station right off the exit to the Sussex KOA. I did find the pickings somewhat slim (we are spoiled by U.S. interstate services in the East). Not much showed up on the GPS as we went along, either.

My experience in PEI was that the locals like to drive at the upper end of the speed limit, maybe over, which conflicts somewhat with meandering, rubbernecking tourists. Seem to remember that held true in NB, too. We found the people in both provinces friendly and polite.
Thank you for all the information.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #12

My home province!! What a beautiful place!!
It's a tourist friendly province!! Many campgrounds, Federal, provincial and private!
Plenty of fuel, many truck stop. After-all the province is owned by the Irving Family!!
We have the biggest oil refinery.
Fundy national park is ones of the best in the country!!
Make a detour to the Acadian Peninsula !! Get some of that Acadian hospitality!!
St-Andrews by the sea is just other side of the border !!
Signage is in both official language.
And we use lots of image to tell what is at an exit.
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasMouSein View Post
My home province!! What a beautiful place!!
It's a tourist friendly province!! Many campgrounds, Federal, provincial and private!
Plenty of fuel, many truck stop. After-all the province is owned by the Irving Family!!
We have the biggest oil refinery.
Fundy national park is ones of the best in the country!!
Make a detour to the Acadian Peninsula !! Get some of that Acadian hospitality!!
St-Andrews by the sea is just other side of the border !!
Signage is in both official language.
And we use lots of image to tell what is at an exit.
Thanks! Can you give me any suggestions of some of your favorite places to visit in the Acadian peninsula?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks! Can you give me any suggestions of some of your favorite places to visit in the Acadian peninsula?
The Historical Acadian Village near Caraquet is a must!! World renowned, actor play in real house from before the 1900.

http://villagehistoriqueacadien.com/en

Once your there people will gladly show you where to eat!! The main industry being fisheries, the seafood is the best!!!

Our beach is super warm!! The bay is called "Baie des chaleurs" wich mean bay of heat. And it on the the best bay in the world...

http://peninsuleacadienne.ca/en/

It's mostly french but English folks have no problem getting by.

Distillery fils du Roy, offers craft liquor and beers. He won many prestigious award for his product.

http://distilleriefilsduroy.com/

Between the first to the 15 of August, the Acadian Festival in Caraquet draws ten times its population!!!

Hope you make the trip!!!

The dollar is in your favor!!!

RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, camping, canada