Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Overnight Parking in Juneau

All of our possible ferry itineraries get us into Juneau in the evening or late evening. I haven't done the ferry thing before but I imagine it's another couple of hours to get unloaded and clear Customs (we will be embarking from Prince Rupert, Canada) so I expect we may hit the road at midnight or later. Given this it would probably be easiest to just dry camp somewhere for the evening rather than adding the complication of finding and settling into an RV park in the middle of the night. Are there any locations in the Juneau area that allow overnight RV parking?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Here's the address/information for Fred Meyer store in Juneau. They allow overnighting in other Alaska stores. Give them a call.

http://http://www.mystore411.com/sto...d-Meyer-Juneau

Here's another site with lots of good information:

http://www.campgroundsalaska.com/jun...eau-alaska.php
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

Thanks! I have many lists of RV campgrounds, what I'm especially looking for are simple stop-and-park places like the Fred Meyers which was a good idea, but unfortunately the RV Overnight Parking web site lists this location as not allowing overnight parking.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

I'd just give Fred Meyer a call. You also might want to call the Visitor Center or Chamber of Commerce for ideas. You are certainly not the only RVer arriving late so I imagine they'd be used to overnight parking around the ferry landing.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

Yes, every day there are many RVs arriving late (lots of ferry arrivals are after midnight) and there's no other way to get an RV to Juneau so for sure we are not the first with this question. There must be a place they all go else I don't see how anyone would get any sleep in campgrounds with people showing up all hours of the night.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

First, I wouldn't worry about pulling into a campground that late. You have a small rig which isn't a diesel and I don't think you are towing another vehicle so you wouldn't have to do any unhooking. You're not going to be making a lot of noise. Pull in, perhaps plug into electric and go to sleep. If you pull in crooked then that can be re-done in the morning. Even if you're a little unlevel, sleep with your head on the opposite end of the bed rather than getting out the leveling blocks! You'll find that people can be very accommodating. Remember that Alaska doesn't get dark until early morning. Folks might even be sitting outside at midnight.

You could even call a RV park close by, state the circumstances and ask if it would even be possible to just park by the entrance for the rest of the night instead of pulling into a site. They might have space to do that. Or ask for a big site so you won't have to do any jockeying to get into it. . . perhaps a pull-through.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. Even pulling into a store parking lot for the remainder of the night is very doable. Folks won't be using the parking lot at that time so they won't care. Get up early and find a RV park.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The ferry docks have large lots for lining up vehicles to load. The lot won't be full when you get there as late docking time. Just park in their lot until AM. Ask the dockmaster first.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You have a small rig which isn't a diesel ...
Well that's surprising since I've been filling it with diesel fuel all these years...
Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Well that's surprising since I've been filling it with diesel fuel all these years...
Oops.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

I just noticed that in the Milepost book, under the 'Juneau' section there is a note to the effect that overnight parking is not allowed anywhere in Juneau and that if you try you will likely be asked to move. Not sure of the source but I guess there's my answer. :(
Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #11

The Marine Highway ferries will allow you to overnight in their lots if you have an arrival or departure that's last in at night or first out in the AM. They just don't want you parking and sleeping if they have to load or unload another ferry with you in the lot. Do not ask the lot guys, go inside and ask the folks at the ticket/office window. The lot guys get cranky and usually always say NO. We've stayed at least 4-5 times without a problem. There's a parking lot in Douglas, right across the channel from Juneau that you can stay in too. It's right across the street from the public works dept garage and is controlled by the Juneau Harbormaster. You ask permission at the Harbormaster's office in Juneau, but if you're getting in late, it'll be closed. A call ahead may be worthwhile. The public works garage has a free dump and free water available. We spent 4 days there. Typical Alaska, --- a parking lot. Period.

I'm not sure what they're doing now, but when we left from Prince Rupert we were pre-cleared to enter the US (Alaska) and didn't have to do anything or see any customs folks anywhere. Might want to check with the Ferry folks about that. Offload in Juneau was "as fast as you could drive off the boat". Sometimes it's very fast and sometimes very slow.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #12

Thanks for the info. We'll try your suggestion and if that fails we'll just wing it somehow. This trip is supposed to be about adventure anyway.

You're no doubt correct about the Customs stuff, it's probably like on airplanes where you are pre-cleared as long as you do not leave the transit lounge area during your connections. In this case since you are a captive audience on a boat they just pre-clear you at the point of embarkation.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #13

We spent two summers in Juneau. We were working for a local touring company. We were able to take the fast ferry from Skagway & back each season. When we were there if you were leaving early or coming in late you were able to stay in the parking lot at the ferry. You could check with AK Marine Hwy & see if they still allow this.
Do you know where you are going to stay? We spent our summers at Spruce Meadows RV Park. Nice setting with an occasional visit from black bears. There's a city bus stop nearby. The owners, a mother-daughter duo have plenty of info to share with their guests.
Enjoy your visit to the capital city of the 49th state!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #14

Spruce Meadows was the one we had pretty much settled on, I'll count your comment as a thumbs-up