Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

Planning a trip to Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

Hi,

We are planning a trip from Michigan traveling through the U.P. to Minnesota, west and crossing in to Canada at some point and visiting Banff National Park as well as Jasper. Then crossing back in to USA and going to Glacier and on to Grand Teton etc. My question is, what is the best crossing to cross over in to Canada and also back to the USA. Also what can be taken across? Just starting t o plan trip and finding conflicting answers. Thinking smart to stay in USA as long as possible before crossing in to Canada due to higher gas prices. Thanks so much for any help you can give.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check this out. It's "straight from the horse's mouth."

Canada Border Services:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

If you do a 'Google' you can find a site that lists all the Canadian crossings with their times of openings/closings. The same goes for what you can and cannot carry.

When crossing, don't engage border patrol in conversation. Don't offer comments. Just answer a short one or two words. Take off your sunglasses and look at them directly. They don't want jokes.

I'd recommend staying in the U.S. as long as you can - cheaper fuel. Of course it depends if you want to see anything else in particular in Canada as to what crossing to take.

You could cross at Coutts Alberta crossing - from Montana I-15 north. Then head to Lethbridge Alberta via 4 then west to Fort Macleod via 3 and north on 2 to Calgary then west to Banff.

From Banff just head north to Jasper on 93.

After Jasper return south on 93 to Lake Louise then west on 1 to Golden and south on 95/93 exiting via the Roosville crossing and you'll be on the west side of Glacier NP.

After Glacier to Yellowstone from Columbia Falls or Whitefish, Montana take either 93 to Polson and on to I-90 east or 83 at Swan Lake to 200 east to 141 to 12. From there you'll have multiple highways taking you into West Yellowstone; I-90 to 287 to Cameron or I-90 to Bozeman and 191 south or if entering the North Entrance - I-90 to Livingston and south on 89.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

We traveled to Alaska last summer from Upstate NY. Went through the U.P. and followed Route 2 west and crossed into Canada at Sweet Grass, MT. I was apprehensive about the 2 lane road but wanted to avoid Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit etc. I found Route 2 to be decent traveling and we're glad we chose that route.
On our way back from Alaska we came through Jasper and followed the Icefields Parkway to Banff, then to Calgary and back to Sweet Grass. Without a doubt, the 200 miles between Jasper and Banff was the most scenic section of our 12,000 mile trip.
Nrbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta is worth a stop just to see the lodge.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
national