RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #1

RV trip canada

Hi everyone, im going on a 7 weeks trip this summer with my wife and baby. Around 4000 km in 7 weeks. We are trying to book where we actually can book. Comments would be most velcome. NB: Im somewhat worried that we are underestimating the drive in the rockies, but I find it difficult to ascertain which roads, we should go in the rockies to avoid cues etc, steep driving etc. are there any apps for this? . We are renting a C-19 from Calgary /cruise canada

5 to 8. aug Calgary - Bow River
8 to 10 aug. Bow River - Lake O'Hara
10 to 14. aug. Lake O'Hara - Lake Louise
14 to 17. aug. Icefield Parkway - Jasper National Park
18. to 22. aug Jasper National Park
22 to 23. aug. Jasper - Valemount
23 to 24. aug Valemount - Clearwater
24 to 25. aug Clearwater to Joffre Lakes Provincial Park
25 to 26. aug Joffre Lakes - Vancouver
27 to 29. aug. Vancouver
29 to 2. sep. Seattle
2 to 5. sep. Portland
5 to 12. sep. Portland - Yellowstone (stop overs on the way, le grande, boise)
12 to 17. sep. Yellowstone
17 to 20 yellow stone to calgary
finish trip

adambilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #2

You are giving yourself lots of time to enjoy the Rockies, which is a good thing because summer traffic can be frustrating , a single accident can back up traffic for miles , and in most areas , because of the terrain there are no alternate routes.
BTW: It's the Rockies , there are few routes without steep climbs, Valemount to Clearwater, then on to Kamloops, will be the only sections in the interior, of BC, that's reasonable for grades.

I do hope the weather co-operates , for your visit . Safe Travels.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

A major concern is reservations in Banff and Jasper. I made ours in January for this September and that was tough.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That will be a great trip and you'll see a lot. Bring extra memory cards for your camera!
The biggest campground in Jasper is Whistlers and it is closed for renovations this year. There are other campgrounds within a half hour drive so book early if you are sure of your arrival and departure dates.
As you are doing this in peak tourism season, maintaining speed up mountain hills isn't going to be an issue. There will always be a slower-than-you vehicle in the line in front of you setting the pace. Relax and enjoy the spectacular scenery. We have done most or all of your route in longer RVs than the one you are renting and had no issues. Just remember to gear down instead of using your brakes to control your downhill speed. And mind the speed recommendations for corners until you gain confidence in your RV's and your capabilities.
Gasoline is stupidly expensive in BC thanks to politicians but your rental should get decent mileage for an RV. If you wind up in Hinton, fill up there, in Kamloops, in Agassiz and then in Washington. Again, fill up in Montana before you come back to Alberta.
Make sure you know and obey the rules for crossing the borders. In both directions!
Have a great trip!
Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
booking

I wouldn't make reservations anywhere, you might find a place you like and want to stay there, sometimes we drive 100 miles a day,sometimes 300 . hate to loose money on reservations. these RVs we drive don't need power and water hookups. we can dry camp for week before we need power and water. park at Wal Mart. Tourist info parking lots. Roadside pullouts. most RV parks aren't full anyway.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Sounds like a great trip. We have enjoyed all the places you will be visiting. One slight detour I would make is to drop a little farther south on the way to Vancouver to drive through the absolutely gorgeous lake/orchard/vineyard district of the Okanagan Valley. One of our favorite places in BC and we have seen a great deal of that beautiful province.

An unusual, inexpensive, but very peaceful campground in the LeGrande-Boise area is near the small Oregon farming town of Nyssa, Located just a few miles south of I-84 in the middle of cornfields is Cow Hollow Park. This former CCC camp and WWII Japanese internment camp is now a Malheur County park with 21 electric camp sites, including 5 with FHUs. We paid $10 at the nearby general store for an electric-only site with separate water and dump and a restroom-shower building. The park Web page can be found HERE.

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 CC 6.7L CTD 4x4
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #7

reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
I wouldn't make reservations anywhere, you might find a place you like and want to stay there, sometimes we drive 100 miles a day,sometimes 300 . hate to loose money on reservations. these RVs we drive don't need power and water hookups. we can dry camp for week before we need power and water. park at Wal Mart. Tourist info parking lots. Roadside pullouts. most RV parks aren't full anyway.

Hi, i forgot to write that we are travelling with a baby, so I dont want to risk not having a place to stay. We booked so far in Jasper, and Banff, and other places, where it was possible.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
Sounds like a great trip. We have enjoyed all the places you will be visiting. One slight detour I would make is to drop a little farther south on the way to Vancouver to drive through the absolutely gorgeous lake/orchard/vineyard district of the Okanagan Valley. One of our favorite places in BC and we have seen a great deal of that beautiful province.

An unusual, inexpensive, but very peaceful campground in the LeGrande-Boise area is near the small Oregon farming town of Nyssa, Located just a few miles south of I-84 in the middle of cornfields is Cow Hollow Park. This former CCC camp and WWII Japanese internment camp is now a Malheur County park with 21 electric camp sites, including 5 with FHUs. We paid $10 at the nearby general store for an electric-only site with separate water and dump and a restroom-shower building. The park Web page can be found HERE.

Thanks, thats a great tip! I read about Okanagan Valley as well, but we would be driving through Whistler, im not sure, if that's on the way to Okanagan?.

Sounds great with the Legrande- Boise camp - are there any other stops on the way to Boise from Portland you would recommend?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobog View Post
That will be a great trip and you'll see a lot. Bring extra memory cards for your camera!
The biggest campground in Jasper is Whistlers and it is closed for renovations this year. There are other campgrounds within a half hour drive so book early if you are sure of your arrival and departure dates.
As you are doing this in peak tourism season, maintaining speed up mountain hills isn't going to be an issue. There will always be a slower-than-you vehicle in the line in front of you setting the pace. Relax and enjoy the spectacular scenery. We have done most or all of your route in longer RVs than the one you are renting and had no issues. Just remember to gear down instead of using your brakes to control your downhill speed. And mind the speed recommendations for corners until you gain confidence in your RV's and your capabilities.
Gasoline is stupidly expensive in BC thanks to politicians but your rental should get decent mileage for an RV. If you wind up in Hinton, fill up there, in Kamloops, in Agassiz and then in Washington. Again, fill up in Montana before you come back to Alberta.
Make sure you know and obey the rules for crossing the borders. In both directions!
Have a great trip!
Thanks, I will be sure to write all the tips down:-)
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
A major concern is reservations in Banff and Jasper. I made ours in January for this September and that was tough.

Yep, we have already made our reservations for Jasper - we just managed to get a campsite, but with no hookup I think. I assume we can get some kind of electricity and dump waste/water during the days, we'll be staying there though? For banff, we have booked for Lake Louise instead- also planning to go down to Lake O'hara, if we can book a spot.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You are giving yourself lots of time to enjoy the Rockies, which is a good thing because summer traffic can be frustrating , a single accident can back up traffic for miles , and in most areas , because of the terrain there are no alternate routes.
BTW: It's the Rockies , there are few routes without steep climbs, Valemount to Clearwater, then on to Kamloops, will be the only sections in the interior, of BC, that's reasonable for grades.

I do hope the weather co-operates , for your visit . Safe Travels.
Thanks. Do you know if its easy to get to the campsites on the icefields parkway? It seems they are all first come- first served?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #12

Hi everyone, i just think i would update my plan a bit.

Hi everyone, im going on a 7 weeks trip this summer with my wife and baby. Around 4000 km in 7 weeks. We are trying to book where we actually can book. Comments would be most velcome. NB: Im somewhat worried that we are underestimating the drive in the rockies, but I find it difficult to ascertain which roads, we should go in the rockies to avoid cues etc, steep driving etc. are there any apps for this? . We are renting a C-19 from Calgary /cruise Canada. Usefull tips on campgrounds that are avaliable for booking would be good. It seems that there are more reservations done in Canada, than in the US? Is this correct. Are the rules for staying overnight in US different than Canada?

5 to 8. aug Calgary - Bow River (trying to reserve a spot)
8 to 10 aug. Bow River - Lake O'Hara
10 to 14. aug. Lake O'Hara - Lake Louise (We reserved except for Lake O hara)
14 to 17. aug. Icefield Parkway - Jasper National Park (havent booked anything - anyone know of any places, that are bookable)
18. to 22. aug Jasper National Park (booked for all days)
22 to 23. aug. Jasper - Valemount (Not sure if we need to book in valemount)
23 to 24. aug Valemount - Clearwater Not sure if we need to book in Clearwater)

24 to 25. aug Clearwater to Joffre Lakes Provincial Park
25 to 26. aug Joffre Lakes - Vancouver
27 to 29. aug. Vancouver (I guess we can find a spot outside the city?)
29 to 2. sep. Seattle (I guess we can find a spot outside the city?)
2 to 5. sep. Portland (I guess we can find a spot outside the city?)
5 to 12. sep. Portland - Yellowstone ( - stop overs on the way, le grande, boise) - (I guess we can find a spot outside the city?).
12 to 17. sep. Yellowstone (booked four nights in Yellowstone in two different stops in the park)
17 to 20 yellow stone to calgary
Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #13

Ok , I completely missed your ; Joffre Lakes PP stop; when I read your first post .

Although crowded with RV tourists like yourself this section of Highway 99 has some of the steepest grades in the province ; 18% in one section if memory serves . Give yourself a ton of time to cover this section of your travels and start early in the day , because you don't want to be on that road in the dark.

If your rental is equipped with a GPS , expect it to act up in certain canyons you'll be going through , because there isn't enough sky visible from the roadway for the GPS to see enough satellites to work.

In North Vancouver you could try ; Capilano River RV Park . A little noisy due to being close to the Lions Gate Bridge , but close to downtown area.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

Lake O'Hara is tent or lodge stay only. There are no RV sites and no vehicle access, hike in or take the bus only. Reservations may be booked three months to the day in advance of your trip and are usually sold out within the first hour of availability. It is however, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

A second note. Boondocking in Canadian National Parks is illegal. Depending on the mood of the RCMP/Park Wardens even unoccupied units parked overnight in parking lots will be towed. BTDT

Killtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada