RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Thoughts on our New Brunswick/Nova Scotia trip??eded

My wife and I are planning our first 3 week long trip in our new Travel Trailer!. We are planning to visit New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in September and I'm not sure if I we have too much planned. So far we've taken two shorter trips a two night trip to beach and a three day trip to Gettysburg and all went really well. We have a one week trip planned for August.

Without going into too much detail, we are planning to drive from Long Island (where we live) to Portsmouth NH and spend 2 nights there and see the sights. Then we head off to St Andrews CA where we'll spend 3 nights, this gives us 2 days to tour. Then we're planning to head to a campground north of Moncton where we'll stay 4 nights, seeing Hopewell Rocks and Prince Edward Island, etc. After that we head to Mabou on Cape Breton Island and we're staying 2 nights. Then we head to Halifax, where we are spending 4 nights. Then its off to Fredericton where we'll stay 2 nights Then we're headed to Bar Harbor for 2 nights and then we're headed to friends how where we will spend a couple days before returning home.

Once we are in Canada we plan to keep our driving time from site to site no longer 4.5 hours, with most trips being around 3 hours (according to Google Maps). We're planning to sight see the local areas on the days we don't travel and when we don't travel too far. My wife thinks that we may be doing too much set-up and take downs and she may be right, but New Brunswick and Nova Scotia is a huge are and we'd like to as much as possible. Is it unusual to only spend a 2 or 3 nights per site?

We haven't made any reservations yet, so nothing is cast in stone. So feel free to give your opinions. I also want to check the route for RV hazards like low bridges and such, so all it may change.

Thanks.

BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your trip sounds pretty good - we did a similar 3 - 4 day schedule through NS, NB, PEI and included Newfoundland. In September campgrounds will be a little less full - may give you some flexibility in scheduling.

The CG hosts are wonderful folks and truly helpful with directions and hints. Enjoy a wonderful trip!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

Been there, done that

My wife and I did this general route in 2017, and we’re going back again this July.

If you private message me we can relay some considerations for your trip.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

A couple of thoughts from our trip 2 years ago.

“Day tripping” PEI from Mocton isn’t any way to enjoy PEI. Stay on PEI, and even then it’s a much bigger island than it appears. We stayed on PEI for a week.

NS is also much bigger than you think; it’s huge. We stayed in 5 places over a month. I’d suggest Lunenburg vs. Halifax. The Lunenburg city campground isn’t anything more than a parking lot with hookups, but you can walk anywhere in town from it if you are reasonably fit. Lots of easy day trips from there too, and a day trip into Halifax is easy enough, albeit a long day.

Hwy 19 between Port Hawkesbury and Margaree Harbor is the worst road I have even driven. Narrow lanes, no / dangerous shoulders, horrible road surface, and no place to pull over to let cars by; there were sections that were so bad I had to slow to 20 mph below the speed limit, and was totally spent after driving it; it was simply a miserable drive. Heading back south from Cheticamp, I found taking the Cabot Trail inland (still no picnic) to the 105 was a much better route.

Try Cheticamp further up the coast, there is a very nice and recently upgraded national park campground with full hookups next to the Cheticamp National Park Visitor Center; there is also a primitive campground, so be sure you pick the right one.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Oh I agree, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are both huge, impossible to see everything in three weeks, but we have to start somewhere. Rest assured, this wont be our last trip up there.

As for PEI, we might be saving that for the next trip.

Betr2Trvl..I really appreciate your input on Highway 19 between Port Hawkesbury. How does it compare to Rt 78 thru Pennsylvania or Interstate 95 between the George Washington Bridge and the Connecticut state line? So far those are my two worst roads.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

The only road near as bad as that section of 19 between Port Hawkesbury and Margaree Harbor that I’ve driven (at any time) is US285 running through the west Texas oil fields between I20 and Carlsbad NM, which we drove last summer. No, actually, it makes that section of US285 feel as smooth and wide as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and the oilfield truck traffic seem sane.

If you are only going as far as Mabou, I don’t remember how bad the road was to that point, but what I do remember was that by the time we got to to Margaree Harbor there were places it was beyond terrible. From Margaree Harbor to Cheticamp it was OK, above Cheticamp wouldn’t be much fun in a large RV either.

First off, what I recall is that the lanes are narrow, I’m talking US rural county road narrow. There really wasn’t much of a shoulder if any most of the way, and often big drop offs from the road surface. And given the commercial trucks took every bit of their lane and maybe a bit more because they weren’t about to drop a wheel, the oncoming truck traffic made the driving very stressful.

The frost heaving in places made the road surface almost undriveable in a Motorhome, like I said, I had to drive 20 or maybe even 25mph under the speed limit in many places, otherwise I thought the RV was going to come apart, or things start flying out of the cabinets and fridge. I had long cars lined up behind me, and couldn’t do anything about it for miles at a time...

When we got to the campground in Cheticamp my wife asked me what was wrong. I was wiped out........ I think I’d rather take the GW into Manhattan at 8:00 am on a weekday in the middle of the winter and drive around NYC for a few hours in my RV with the toad hooked up than tackle that part of 19 between Port Hawkesbury and Margaree Harbor again.

Maybe it would be better / easier with a truck and towing a TT, but be forewarned.

I think you’d enjoy Cheticamp more than Mabou anyway, lots to see and do / explore from there to the north end, and the inland route you can take is much better, although it’s still a rural 2 lane road on the Cabot Trail section.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

You dont mention any visits to the Bay of Fundy per se. The Hopewell rocks are worth a stop, but you probably don't want to spend days there. They have nice tides, but you pretty much have to spend the whole day there to get the feel of the tide changes. The Minas basin has the tidal bores, and the highest tides in the world. A stop in Truro on your way by to Halifax will allow you to see the tidal bore if you are informed of the times it occurs. It happens twice a day. Full moons produce the best tides. Of course you have to see Peggys Cove, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay etc, but for me the high tides along the Minas Basin are fascinating. Annapolis Royal has a fort, as well as one of the only tidal power generating stations. Digby is famous for scallops. Wolfville and Windsor are probably the best areas to see the tidal bores. Its neat to see the fishing boats parked at the docks, only to come by six hours later, and they are all sitting in the mud. On the Digby arm, there is huge bay that empties completely during low tide. You will love the east coast where ever you go. I have been there three times, and going for a forth this year for two months. We are doing NFLD for the second time for three weeks. The remainder, we will spend between the rest of the Atlantic provinces.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 AM   #8

Bay of Fundy - Halls Harbor and view from our camp site at Parker’s Cove at low and high tide (that’s probably 20+’ of tide drop you see.....).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	746FBB9D-3F9A-4E74-B543-CF812859487B.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	247790   Click image for larger version

Name:	044F3CF8-E7B7-4E4D-AFCD-8B6C96EB81CB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	247791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0FC660E4-A801-4B7E-82DA-3A984862C7E7.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	247792  
Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #9

We definitely plan to see the Bay of Fundy and Hopewell Rocks.

Betr2Trvl.....Very nice pictures! We really appreciate the advice on Rt 19. We shifted our plans so we avoid traveling that route when towing...Thanks!

So far my worst road to travel on with the TT is Interstate 95 thru the Bronx. The 3 lanes are narrow, there is almost no shoulder, the road surface is basically a connection of partially repaired pot holes and the is traffic is unreal! We had to take it last Wednesday coming home from Gettysburg. We hit the GW Bridge around 1PM and it took us 2 hours to drive the 9 miles to the Throgs Neck Bridge and there wasn't any accidents or construction delays, it was just too many vehicles. New York State and the Federal Government should be ashamed of the condition of the Interstates thru New York City. If you have to travel on this road, it is best to do it in the middle of the night.