Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Travel from U.S. to Canada and back

In a few weeks we will be traveling to Lake George,N.Y. From there we will be going to northern Michigan. The fastest route is through Canada. I know we’ll need to bring our passports. Is it easier to just take the extra time to go around Lake Erie and stay in the U.S. or is it no problem traveling through Canada?
RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

Got to worry about which food you have with you, and any firearms....limit on Spirits also
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Some foods not allowed and no firearms....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Usually no problem entering Canada or the US. However you need to be aware of wait times at the crossings, and abide by all the Canada and US laws. When we toured the Northeast US and Southeast Canada we crossed into Canada, back into the USA, then back into Canada and back into the USA. We enjoyed the experience.

BTW, we found Canadians to be the most friendly people. Always trying to help or just to strike up a conversation.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #5

If you plan on crossing into Canada with guns, drugs and attitude you can pretty much count on having problems at the border.
If not, you will be fine.
Yes, a few food restrictions, and you can get the latest info on items on the Canadian Government web site.
Welcome to Canada and enjoy your time here.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

Fuel cost are about 30 % higher in Canada and travelling hwy 401 through Toronto is a nightmare. On top of what’s already been said i suggest staying south.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bob. No firearms but spirits cod be an issue!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all of your help. There will be no firearms or attitude. Maybe some spirits. Sounds as if the southern route may be easier. I met quite a few Canadiens in Florida last winter and all were very friendly. Great people. I may have posted this twice. Sorry about that. Maybe too many spirits tonight!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #9

Personally I wouldn't make border crossings a deal breaker. If Canada was between my point "A" and point "B" I'd suffer the politeness and poutine. I might even buy a smoke for the campfire. Come to think, maybe routing through is a deal maker. I like it there.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

I would take the shorter route through CA. You will find everything you need to know here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Make arrangements with your cell phone carrier for your time in CA. One couple were surprised with a $3xx.xx cell bill.
IMO it is easier to buy fuel with your CC, often they do not charge a currency conversion rate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Don’t forget that you will have to deal with customs twice, entering Canada and re-entering the US. Both sides have lists of foodstuffs that are prohibited. You must have passports or passport cards. No guns allowed in Canada, and they are extremely strict about this. If you have any felony or DUI convictions, you will not be allowed into Canada, period. Fuel is considerably more expensive in Canada.

I just returned from a Canada trip last month. I love Canada and enjoy traveling there, but if you are just transiting, it may be worth driving the extra 100 miles or so and staying in the US. On the other hand if you have time to enjoy the people and sights of Canada, it will be very rewarding.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Fuel cost are about 30 % higher in Canada and travelling hwy 401 through Toronto is a nightmare. On top of what’s already been said i suggest staying south.
Keep in mind, the imperial gallon in Canada is 20% larger, the US dollar is 36% higher, the route from Buffalo or Niagara Falls NY to Michigan does not go through Toronto, and also does not have tolls.
Take the Canadian route, avoid NY State tolls and enjoy the scenery.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Keep in mind, the imperial gallon in Canada is 20% larger, the US dollar is 36% higher, the route from Buffalo or Niagara Falls NY to Michigan does not go through Toronto, and also does not have tolls.
Take the Canadian route, avoid NY State tolls and enjoy the scenery.
Everywhere we've gone in Canada in the last 20 years they've been on the metric system Liquid products like gasoline and liquor are sold by the liter. Gas is considerably more expensive in Canada. The average price is around $1.35 (Canadian) per liter. In the back country it's considerably more expensive. Last month in some places it was as high as $1.95 per liter. The only saving grace is there are rarely any stations that have ethanol blends.

As for liquor you are allowed 1 liter per person when crossing into Canada. In most Canadian liquor stores it's about $22.00 - $25.00 per liter.

When we were in a shopping center in Whitehorse Yukon we saw a woman in a shopping center drop a case of beer. She started crying almost immediately. When we saw the prices for beer and liquor we knew why.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
No guns allowed in Canada, and they are extremely strict about this.
Certainly no hand guns (pistols/revolvers) are allowed, with extremely few exceptions (competition shooter going to an event, IIRC). Long guns (rifles/shotguns) are a different matter. I've brought a rifle up through CA 3 times over the years to Alaska. You must have your paperwork filled out before you reach the border and hand it to the first border person that approaches you along with your passport. You will be directed to park and go inside WITHOUT the weapon.

While inside, the paperwork will be finalized and you will pay your fee which was maybe $25 or so. They will go out and check the weapon and if all is well send you on your way.

If you normally carry a handgun but sent it ahead to Alaska or left it at home, be sure you also do not have any ammunition for it on board. Only bring ammo for your long gun.

Info and permits are at the site of the Royal Mounted Canadian Police.

Also, when you re-enter the US, you will be asked for that permit and they will also inspect the weapon.
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, travel