Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #1

Which route do you guys use from Niagara to Acadia?

From looking at the map there are 2 possible ways. I90 to I81. My question is when I get up to the north end of NY crossing over on hwy 11. What is the best way from there. How are the roads?

THe other way would be simply to stay on I90 to I 95.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Toll roads to stay away from? Less elevation change would be great. Dont want to cross into Canada.

Never been to this area and dont want to get stuck on a one lane mountian road with bridges that cant hold my MH.

In 4 weeks google maps have put me on three such roads. Not good.

Thanks for the help
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It depends on the kind of trip you're doing. If it were me, I'd jump on I-90 east and stay there. It would be the quickest, easiest and most direct way to go if you're just traveling from point A to point B. I-90 becomes the Mass Pike when you cross into Massachusetts. Near Worcester, MA, I'd pick up I-290 to I-495 to I-95 to avoid the congestion around Boston (as much as that is possible) and drop from I-95 onto Alt 1 in Bangor, Maine, to make the final run into the Bar Harbor area. There are tolls on both I-90 in New York (the New York State Thruway) and I-90 in Massachusetts (the Mass Pike), but there are service plazas on both to pick up food and fuel. If you have E-ZPass, it helps in two ways - you get through the tolls much quicker and (in New York, at least), you receive a discount on the tolls. Don't recall what tolls there may be beyond Massachusetts. That's what I would do, but we travel in this area all the time, so there's no need for us to stop and see the sights.

If you're here for the first time and have the time to stop along the way, you're passing through some beautiful country - the Finger Lakes Region (wine country) of New York, the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, the historic Capital District area of New York, the Lake George vacation area, the Berkshires of Massachusetts, Boston and all of its history and delights, Lake Champlain, the White Mountains of New Hampshire - all of these and much more are just a hop, skip or jump from I-90 and I-95.

No matter how you choose to travel, enjoy your adventure!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in West Chester Pa and thinking of taking your route to avoid the 95 corridor. Lots of extra miles but a much more relaxing and scenic drive. Thanks for posting
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #4

In late June we went up Rt 11 in NY over to Rouses Point then over to I-89 and to US 2 which takes you over to I-95 right outside Bangor. Roads were in pretty good shape except for a few miles in Montpelier Vt... they were pretty bad .... thanks Bernie ! We were in a 43' MH towing a pickup. Pretty pleasant drive.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f365gt4 View Post
I'm in West Chester Pa and thinking of taking your route to avoid the 95 corridor. Lots of extra miles but a much more relaxing and scenic drive. Thanks for posting
Unless time is of the essence, we try to avoid I-95 whenever possible, although once you're up into New Hampshire and Maine it's not all that bad. Like you, we're happy to trade some extra time and distance for a less stressful and more picturesque drive.

Mary
Old 08-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ina4x4 View Post
It depends on the kind of trip you're doing. If it were me, I'd jump on I-90 east and stay there. It would be the quickest, easiest and most direct way to go if you're just traveling from point A to point B. I-90 becomes the Mass Pike when you cross into Massachusetts. Near Worcester, MA, I'd pick up I-290 to I-495 to I-95 to avoid the congestion around Boston
We do this, with the exception of I-290, which puts you right through downtown Worcester. It looks like a shorter route, but it's much more congested and "slalomly" than staying on the MassPike to I-495.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
We do this, with the exception of I-290, which puts you right through downtown Worcester. It looks like a shorter route, but it's much more congested and "slalomly" than staying on the MassPike to I-495.
Thanks for the tip - will try that next time through!

Mary
Old 08-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its been a while since Ive had internet. Very good suggestions.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Dmitche4
Just remember that the MA. pike is now cashless, the least expensive way on the pike in MA is with EZ-Pass.

David
Dmitche4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route