Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
1/2 Ton Suggestions

I'm choosing to go from a 32' class A to a TC and I currently own a F150 EB 6.5 bed and I'd like a new camper without it being a popup but getting the biggest bed possible as I am tall. Today I looked at the Northstar Liberty but it still seemed small.

Suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

Check your owners manual for info on campers. Get your trucks , cargo capacity, ( payload ), and RAWR. Then weigh the truck to see if the CCCapacity numbers are correct.
JMHO: Slide in campers need an 8' box, preferably 3/4 ton. Particularly if your shopping bed size.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Lance also makes short box specific campers, some with extended cabovers which provides a large sleeping area. Some models are in their Lite series which are designed for 1/2 ton trucks.

Bruce LaHargoue
Holiday Rambler 34 PDD Cummins Pusher
Lance 825/GMC 2500 HD Short Box
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks but a dealer for Lance told me today that my 7200gvw is insufficient for their lightest model, the 825.

I'm still waiting to see if the Northstar Liberty model will be a fit as I'm unwilling to go to a 3/4 ton for just a few uses each year. One dealer told me I'd be fine with 10 ply tires and air bags but I'm not taking just his word for it.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
I'd be fine with 10 ply tires and air bags but I'm not taking just his word for it.
Tell him you want it in writing . Then watch him choke on his words.

When shopping for a new 5er , I had a salesman say, what are you looking at all these numbers for , you've got a 3/4 ton you can tow anything you want. Anything to make a sale is the theory 99% of salesmen live by, the fellow who told you;" You don't have enough truck" is one of the rare 1%.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A half ton truck will never handle a camper, you will need a minimum of 3/4 ton and a 1 ton with duals would be the best. Campers are top heavy and you will need all the stability that you can get.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
Thanks but a dealer for Lance told me today that my 7200gvw is insufficient for their lightest model, the 825.
Listen to that salesman. Here is a picture of the stickers from a 2013 F150 SREW 4x4 Lariat. You will notice on the tire load information sticker that the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,139 pounds. If you and one other person that is likely to go with you on a trip using the TC weigh 300 pounds (vehicle mfgs use 150 pounds as an average weight for people) then you only have 839 pounds of load capacity left. You can't even find a pop-camper that is that light. Seriously, you really don't want to haul ANY type of truck camper in your Ecoboost truck.

Your sticker may show more or less than the one I've presented. You will find them on either the edge of the door itself or the door frame. Find that and get back to us with whatever that weight limit (payload capacity) is for your truck. And don't forget that the standard rule of thumb used by just about anybody that owns a TC is that you should add about 1,000 pounds to the dry weight of a TC to allow for the pots and pans, food, dishes, water, propane, and options added to the TC. So if you get a hard sided TC, I'm guessing you are going to be overloading your truck by somewhere between 2,500 and 4,000 pounds. And trust me when I tell you that you REALLY don't want to do that. In my opinion, that would be a complete disaster rolling down the highway looking for a convenient place to happen.

Oh, about that dealer that told you that you'd "be fine with 10 ply tires and air bags", he's lying through his teeth big time. Stay as far away from that dealership as you can.

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Another option might be the Travel Lite 770 with a dry weight 1335. Certainly a strip down TC that isn't what the DW wants but gets closer to where we need to be weight wise.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Your safety and other people on Road are at risk!

You will not be able to get the comfort with that small series truck. You need a 3/4 ton HD series as a base line minimum to get into the truck camper life style. Read the articles on-line at Truck Camper magazine to further your quest.

I would look if buying a truck for a camper is one that has a 8 foot bed, 4X4, dually and diesel. Your options would be many to choose from. Sometimes people sell both truck and camper as a package deal. You need a big enough truck to handle the weight and perform safely.

If anything, buy a travel trailer to pull behind that small capacity truck. I've seen the broken rear axles and the accidents from not being able to stop from undersized trucks that I decided to answer this post and give you my $0.02 worth. I have a 2008 Lance Model 861 and been over with it! The 4X4 has afforded me to beach camp and travel in snowy weather.

PS: try to find a truck with the 3.73 rear axle in lieu of the 4.10 if mpg's are important. I get between 13.5 14.8 mpg's on my Duramax diesel. 21.5- 22 mpg's with camper off truck

Good luck with your search!
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #10

I don't think there is a hard side that will be light enough. I got a 4wheeler popup with all the options and it comes in around 1200lbs. The shell version is under 800lbs. It's tough to beat those numbers. Bed is a queen and rather roomy for a popup. Btw, that's empty with no propane, water, food, ect.

Have you considered a travel trailer? Might be your best option if you want to keep that truck.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #11

I still say any tt with more than one axle needs a 3/4 ton. My brother just got a brand new 30ft tt pulls it with his 1/2 ton suburban and has had nothing but trouble. They are blaming the hitch. I just shake my head and say nothing.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks folks but we've ruled out the truck camper because we found what zman stated, nothing out there and to be safely under the gvw. Our main reason for a change from the class A was to be a little more fuel efficient while still having a dog and a cat with us which comfortably rules out a TT. We are now looking seriously at the Sprinter class B+'s like the Navion. Not cheap but fits our bill.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #13

I'd really look, hard, at the economics of trading up for fuel economy.
The finance costs alone could be way more that your annual fuel costs on your current rig.
Currently , I'm spending about $5,000 a year, on insurance , fuel and maintenance, and the coach is old enough I don't consider , depreciation a factor.
JMHO; You would have to find a smaller rig for a straight across trade before , changing coaches for fuel economy makes any sense, throw finance costs and faster depreciation on a newer unit, into the money calculations , and the trade makes no changes to your pocket book.
You could end up worse off , dollar wise at the end of the year.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I still say any tt with more than one axle needs a 3/4 ton. My brother just got a brand new 30ft tt pulls it with his 1/2 ton suburban and has had nothing but trouble. They are blaming the hitch. I just shake my head and say nothing.
True enough! I recently had a friend who asked for my advice on a 5er to be towed with a 1/2 ton. I gave him my .02 worth about pin weight, then we talked about a bunch of other stuff. I then came back to reinforce my opinion about being overweight in the bed of his truck. I couldn't get him off the subject of how much his truck could tow . Bottom line...he bought the 5er anyway.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote