Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

2001 Arctic Fox 1150 on a F-350 SRW?

Just curious if I would be pushing limits or would this setup be fine with the proper setup? The truck is a 2009 with the 6.4 diesel.

Thanks
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

Most everyone is pushing the limits, if the camper fits, wear it. That truck should have plenty power to haul it.

yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgor View Post
Most everyone is pushing the limits, if the camper fits, wear it. That truck should have plenty power to haul it.
Thanks Yorgor.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You are going to be overloaded on your GVWR and your rear GAWR with a 1150. The dry weight is 3358#. With your truck weighing in around 9000# ready to travel, and the dry weight of the camper gives you a gross weight of over 12000#, before any propane, water, or supplies and utensils. The GVWR of your truck should be around 11,500#. You need a dually with a GVWR of over 13,000# and even then it might be over.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
You are going to be overloaded on your GVWR and your rear GAWR with a 1150. The dry weight is 3358#. With your truck weighing in around 9000# ready to travel, and the dry weight of the camper gives you a gross weight of over 12000#, before any propane, water, or supplies and utensils. The GVWR of your truck should be around 11,500#. You need a dually with a GVWR of over 13,000# and even then it might be over.
Frank
Thanks Franka!! We are passing om this camper...
Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

I would suspect that the vast majority of people hauling a TC are over their GVWR and many probably over their axle ratings. On many vehicles, Fords in particular, the rear axle rating is based on the stock tires. If you upgrade the tires you gain capacity.
However, an 11' camper is heavy, an Arctic Fox is heavy, a diesel truck is heavy. There's no reason to push things any further than necessary. I suspect that even if your truck were a dually you would be pushing it's limits weight wise. Most really big hardside TCs really belong on class 4 or 5 trucks.
My own 11' camper, sitting on my Chevy dually, is about 13,000 and I don't have any slides.
If it were me I'd look for a lighter camper or a dually truck.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #7

KD4UPL;
Thanks for the input.. I saw the camper and walked away and will carry your comment if we head towards the truck camper side.. Would love too..
Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Forget the GVWR which is a calculation done at the factory based on the stock configuration, which is easy to change in numerous ways. A truck designed to tow 12,000 lbs. or more can easily manage a 5,000 lb. camper load in terms of the engine, frame, and drivetrain. The weak link on pickup trucks is the tires. Easiest way to add almost double the load capacity is to double the number of tires at the rear axle. Less easy and more expensive for the factory but the only practical option for the OP is to go to 19.5 wheels and tires at a cost of $3500. If the super heavy camper is your heart's desire and nothing else will make you happy "camping" then buy the camper and buy a set of 19.5 wheels and tires. You may also need to add either additional leaf springs or air bags as well but that is a decision to make after the camper is in the bed and you have a chance to drive around with the setup. The notion that a Class 5 truck is needed to haul a 6,000 lb camper is as silly a comment as I have ever come across. It is like saying you need a Hummer to be able to venture off the pavement. A Class 4 truck in the United States for DOT classification purposes is one with a GVWR of 14,001 to 16,000 lbs. as compared to a Class 3 truck which is by definition one with a GVWR of 10,001 to 14,000 lbs. So you can have a truck with a 11,000 lb. GVWR as shipped from the factory and change out the tires and increase the effective GVWR for a truck had it shipped from the factory with dual 19.5 wheels. The F-450 which is a Class 4 truck, as shipped from the factory has 19.5 wheels and even with DRW only has a factory payload rating by Ford of 5300 lbs. which is about the same as some of the GM 2500 trucks shipped out from their factory. If you drive in Canada then you will need a Class 5 truck like a F-550 to be 100% legal with their "weight police" but it is not a requirement in the USA where I have yet to see a weigh station with truck campers being weighed or even required to stop for an inspection. Your concern should be the safe operation of the truck with the intended load and a F-450 is only required if you plan to haul a heavy customized camper setup with additional storage and equipment. This is done for some "expedition" purposes. Once you get over 3,000 lbs. dry weight a DRW truck is the cheapest approach though SRW is still an option with the right tires. Over 4,000 lbs. dry weight and DRW or 19.5 wheels for SRW are needed. Over 5,000 lbs. dry weight is where the F-450 becomes the starting point and for all intents and purposes you are probably going to be better off buying a Class C motorhome instead. The axles and wheel bearings on 3500 pickups will all support at a bare minimum 8900 lbs. and if you subtract the 3300 lb. weight of the truck itself at the rear axle that leaves a remaining payload capacity of 5600 lbs. with the proper wheels and tires. That assumes that each of the tires at the rear can support half of 8900 lbs. or 4400 lbs. and to get that level of load capacity you need 19.5 tires and wheels.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #9

Mostly we're in agreement. I totally agree that a truck can be modified to safely handle more than it's factory rating. I've done so on my own dually. I must defend the "silliest comment you've ever come across" comment.
I never said a class 5 truck was needed for a 6,000 pound camper but the idea of using one isn't that silly at all. A Dodge 5500 doesn't cost much more than a 4500 and may be easier to find if you're looking for a used one.
As for weight:
Take for instance an Eagle Cap, Host, or Chalet truck camper weighing around 4,700 pounds dry without options. They hold 60 some gallons of fresh water and 60 pounds of propane. That's about 5,250 pounds before you ever start adding any optional equipment, gear or luggage to the camper, let's say maybe 700 pounds for that. Most people with a camper that size aren't going by themselves so you've got to figure around 500 to maybe 800 pounds of passengers in the truck so now we're up to 6,750 pounds of cargo.
Many people, my self included, use a truck camper so we can tow behind it. If you're pulling a horse trailer, car hauler, or boat with several hundred pounds of tongue weight plus the 4' hitch extension you're probably adding well 7,000 pounds or more to the truck.
A Dodge 4,500 crew cab 4x4 only has about 7,300 pounds of payload and you'd have to add a flatbed for the camper. So, if you go by GVWR it's certainly possible to overload a class 4 truck with a TC. Since the vast majority of this weight is on the rear axle you would quite possibly be overloading that too.
Granted, this would be a worst case scenario but it does occur. I've seen some of these rigs myself.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #10

Thanks for the input! Great comments and lessons..
The camper we were looking at was not excellent as described, hence, we passed.. May be next summer we will make a leap..
Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Forget the GVWR which is a calculation done at the factory based on the stock configuration, which is easy to change in numerous ways. A truck designed to tow 12,000 lbs. or more can easily manage a 5,000 lb. camper load in terms of the engine, frame, and drivetrain. The weak link on pickup trucks is the tires. Easiest way to add almost double the load capacity is to double the number of tires at the rear axle. Less easy and more expensive for the factory but the only practical option for the OP is to go to 19.5 wheels and tires at a cost of $3500. If the super heavy camper is your heart's desire and nothing else will make you happy "camping" then buy the camper and buy a set of 19.5 wheels and tires. You may also need to add either additional leaf springs or air bags as well but that is a decision to make after the camper is in the bed and you have a chance to drive around with the setup. The notion that a Class 5 truck is needed to haul a 6,000 lb camper is as silly a comment as I have ever come across. It is like saying you need a Hummer to be able to venture off the pavement. A Class 4 truck in the United States for DOT classification purposes is one with a GVWR of 14,001 to 16,000 lbs. as compared to a Class 3 truck which is by definition one with a GVWR of 10,001 to 14,000 lbs. So you can have a truck with a 11,000 lb. GVWR as shipped from the factory and change out the tires and increase the effective GVWR for a truck had it shipped from the factory with dual 19.5 wheels. The F-450 which is a Class 4 truck, as shipped from the factory has 19.5 wheels and even with DRW only has a factory payload rating by Ford of 5300 lbs. which is about the same as some of the GM 2500 trucks shipped out from their factory. If you drive in Canada then you will need a Class 5 truck like a F-550 to be 100% legal with their "weight police" but it is not a requirement in the USA where I have yet to see a weigh station with truck campers being weighed or even required to stop for an inspection. Your concern should be the safe operation of the truck with the intended load and a F-450 is only required if you plan to haul a heavy customized camper setup with additional storage and equipment. This is done for some "expedition" purposes. Once you get over 3,000 lbs. dry weight a DRW truck is the cheapest approach though SRW is still an option with the right tires. Over 4,000 lbs. dry weight and DRW or 19.5 wheels for SRW are needed. Over 5,000 lbs. dry weight is where the F-450 becomes the starting point and for all intents and purposes you are probably going to be better off buying a Class C motorhome instead. The axles and wheel bearings on 3500 pickups will all support at a bare minimum 8900 lbs. and if you subtract the 3300 lb. weight of the truck itself at the rear axle that leaves a remaining payload capacity of 5600 lbs. with the proper wheels and tires. That assumes that each of the tires at the rear can support half of 8900 lbs. or 4400 lbs. and to get that level of load capacity you need 19.5 tires and wheels.
Thanks so much for your input. You hit my problem exactly. I have an F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 crewcab, shortbox and just put a new AF811 on the back. Not riding well. Went to the scales for a good shock. After TONS of research, and finding posts like yours I know I definitely need some 19.5's and Load Range H's. I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I can get to Buffalo in 2 hours. May I ask a good place to buy these items. Right now I am checking into Dunn Tires and PepBoy's. There are no Les Schwabs out this way.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had an AF 1150 on a F350 gas, SRW around 2001. About 1200# overweight as I recall. No flats or accidents but never felt comfortable. Sold the F350 and bought a Chev 3500 Dmax/Allison DRW. Felt better and we drove it for 3 years without incident.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
We had an AF 1150 on a F350 gas, SRW around 2001. About 1200# overweight as I recall. No flats or accidents but never felt comfortable. Sold the F350 and bought a Chev 3500 Dmax/Allison DRW. Felt better and we drove it for 3 years without incident.
Thanks Scooter, this is sort of what is was thinking.. Now our TT is put up and any sale of that will occur in the spring.. I will watch for a slide in through the winter, but up here, it gets quiet in the winter..
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant09 View Post
....but up here, it gets quiet in the winter..
And pretty dark too...