Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

2005 Bigfoot 3000 10.11

Looking at one of these units. Construction looks different than the boat type construction I've heard to be so robust on these and the Northern Lite units. Anybody have any input on the construction?

Thank you, Matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Roof Seal

I haven't laid eyes on it yet, just pictures, but the construction still appears similar with no roof seal on top. It appears the top fiberglass panel (roof) rolls over the edge where it mates with the side panel. See picture attached. Does anyone concur or disagree? I asked for closer pictures of the roof and joint to wall but have not received yet. Thank you for any opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	335A7807-E3E9-4B02-9643-8B74A84E378B.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	122730  
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

Ok, I may have answered my own question - with the assist of the owners manual on the Bigfoot site. Bummer, looks like rubber roof and not clamshell fiberglass construction.
http://bigfootrv.com/docs/brochures/2005%20Brochure.pdf
3000 Series Truck Campers
Exterior:
FibercoreŽ Bonded Fiberglass Sidewalls c/w 1 1/2" Polyurethane Insulation (R12) ______________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
FibercoreŽ Bonded Ceiling c/w 1 1/2" Polyurethane Insulation (R12)__________________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Slide Out Room with FibercoreŽ Bonded Fiberglass Sidewallc/w 1 1/2" Polyurethane Insulation (R12) ___Std. _______N/A______Std.
Seamless Rubber Roof __________________________________________________ ___________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Radius Corner Safety Glass Windows c/w Screens __________________________________________________ __Std. _______Std.______Std.
White Folding Assist Handle __________________________________________________ _____________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Molded Fiberglass Front Cap __________________________________________________ _____________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Molded Fiberglass Rear Cap c/w Bumper and built in Step____________________________________________St d. _______Std.______Std.
Molded Propane Tank Storage Compartment __________________________________________________ _____Std. _______Std.______Std.
Molded Fiberglass Basement Storage Compartment (c/w Plastic Storage Tray) __________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Sewer Hose Storage Compartment __________________________________________________ ________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Radius Corner Compartment Doors __________________________________________________ ______________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Cab Thru Window __________________________________________________ ______________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Radius Corner Entry Door c/w Deadbolt Lock and Gas Strut __________________________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Blocking for Rear Awning____________________________________________ ______________________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Blocking for Roof Rack & Ladder __________________________________________________ _________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Mechanical Jacks (Powder Coated)___________________________________________ _______________________Std. _______Std.______Std.
Step Bracket __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Didn't buy the unit. Seam on top and roof was soft and had leaked in multiple places. Now I know the unit's I want to target going forward. Cost me some diesel that I burned but didn't get stuck with a leaky camper.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

This style Bigfoot may have been what led to the companies ultimate demise and bankruptcy.
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

The Bigfoot 3000 series had nothing to do with their going out of business. That was caused by a certain financial crisis in 2008 that some folks may have heard about, that caused them and a "few" other firms to lose their working capital. I have a 1998 30.11 that also needed a roof repair when I bought it. I repaired it and now have a pretty nice, albeit huge four-season camper.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

With out a doubt the 2008 crisis had a tone to do with the demise of Bigfoot.
But building a unit that so grossly goes against the companies long standing design characteristics and trouble free nature may have had something to do with it as well.
Who knows?
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had two Big Foot Trailers that were of the clamshell design and they were both rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another BF trailer if I was ever in the market.

I was very surprised to hear about how they built the truck camper.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bigfoot is alive and well, they did go bankrupt but have been revived. I have never seen a Bigfoot that wasn't a full fiberglass clamshell construction, slide in campers, travel trailers and 5th wheel included. It must have been a model they tried for a couple of years prior to their bankrupcy in 2008. Their new models appear to be all clamshell construction with fiberglass roof. Expensive but really hold their value. We have a 17ft Bigfoot trailer and really like it. We have more fun with it getting into out of the way places than we do with our 3400RL Montana 5th wheel.
http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv_...00_series.html
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I've had two Big Foot Trailers that were of the clamshell design and they were both rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another BF trailer if I was ever in the market.

I was very surprised to hear about how they built the truck camper.
Most of the Bigfoot truck campers I've seen are with the clamshell construction. I was disappointed to find that this one was not constructed in the same way. At least I know which models to target in the future. It's too bad because the rest of this unit would have been great (nice layout and otherwise good quality) if not for the leak and questionable results to the leak. There was plenty of evidence and I feared potential rot and mold.