Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Question 2017 Ram 3500 airbags vs other

I just drove home my new Northstar Arrow U on my 2017 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW diesel. It's a fine set-up but I need some suspension advice.
I'm a total greenhorn and would appreciate some input from those wiser and more experienced. I have a about 2.5 inches of rear sag. It rides pretty nice but I did experience a little bit of porpoising when I hit some road bumps. My GVWR is 12,300 and I am right there or slightly over fully loaded. I am within tolerances of my axle and tire ratings but am right at the max of my rear tire axle ratings shy of around 150 pounds...I have quite a bit of wiggle room on the front axles (apprx. 700 pounds).
My Northstar good guy Rex recommended Firestone Ride-rite airbags but not sure where to get these locally. I think I would splurge for the Air Command system. My local auto dealer whom I purchased the truck from can install a similar system but by Air Lift for around $1300. The truck has a pretty rough ride unloaded. Any fixes for this and what would you recommend for suspension enhances? Thanks for your input!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
Career Hardened Neophyte

I have a 2016 RAM 3500 and installed Firestone air bags with the wireless remote control and on-board air compressor.
It was a rather simple install. The only extra thing I did was put thermal insulation on the wiring harness where it passes the exhaust system.

I'm going to be on the road for the next several days but soon as I get back I can send you some pictures of the air bags on my 3500 and any other info you like.

A few other items...
1.) Could you please post a few pictures of your camper on your MegaCab?

2.) What dealer did you get the Arrow-U at?

3.) With a GVWR of 12,300 I'm guessing your truck is SRW. Yes?

Thanks,
-Ej-

Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Career Hardened Neophyte

Greetings cjw,
Here is some more info...

1.) I see from re-reading your post that your truck is a SRW so nix my question #3 above, (sorry).

2.) I did some research and found the original receipts from my Firestone Ride-Rite order. I purchased everything from Amazon in March last year. Details listed below…

Firestone Ride-Rite 2560 Ride-Rite Air Helper Spring Kit.
$328.81

Firestone Ride-Rite 2541 Wireless Air Command Generation II Remote Controller.
$790.24

Firestone WR17602529 Air-Rite No-Drill Digital/Wireless Air Command Frame Mount Kit.
$75.69

The only thing I added to the list above was some high-heat shielding for where the wiring harness passes the exhaust system. I purchased it at a local Pep Boys auto store.

The airbags…

The compressor, control box, and frame mounting bracket…

The heat-shield tubing protecting the wiring harness where it crosses under the exhaust system...

Note that there is lots of heat shield on the truck from the factory. The one I added is the larger lower run in the picture.

I did the install in my driveway. As I recall it was not much of an issue. There was no drilling and (thankfully, due to the wireless remote control) absolutely no holes had to be punched thru the firewall into the cab of the vehicle.

Hope that helps!
And please remember to post a few pictures of the Arrow-U on the MegaCab. I'm very curious to see the roof overhang on your 11" longer cab.
Thanks,
-Ej-
Old 08-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Airbags on Ram Mega Cab

Thanks Electrojake! I really appreciate your help and wise advice! Also, thanks for taking the time to post the excellent pics on your air bag install....super helpful!!!
Here are some photos of the new travel buggy! I was pretty concerned how the Mega Cab would work and look...I really wanted the extra cab space. I think so far it has worked swell! Now just need to get some miles under it's belt...and mine.

How is your set-up riding? My truck ride is a bit rough when it's unloaded. Got the big 20 inch wheels...nice. What are you keeping your tires aired at? I'm really happy with it overall and am glad I took a chance on the Mega Cab.
Save
Old 08-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

Ram Mega Cab with Northstar Arrow U 8.5

Here are some pics of the new rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	173568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210 (3).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	173569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211 (2).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	173570  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Nice!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
Career Hardened Neophyte

CJ-W,
That's fascinating... I have the same truck, same camper, same color, same everything, except mine is a standard crew cab. <small world>

Thank you very much for posting the pictures. Your equipment looks like a lot of good times are ahead!

As info, Below is a shot of an Arrow-U on the standard RAM Crew Cab...
BTW; this is NOT my truck or camper, but you get the idea...

I'm on the road right now but soon as I get home next week I'll post some pictures of "my" pearl white RAM & Arrow-U so you can see what your camper looks like on a 'little' crew cab truck.

Also note that I'll get you the CAT Scale front & rear axle weights of the truck loaded and unloaded so you can see how that extra 11 inches affects the balance of the rig. Should be interesting!

Thanks again,
-Ej-
Old 08-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Just make sure the airbags have a built in joust bumper if the bag blows you still have some suport,I have the airlift set up with 5500 lb plus camper on truck onboard compressor works great can fine tune plus I tow many other trailers with heavy loads,don't overlook the spring perch the airbag takes that spring out of play in the suspension! Very important I hauled without n with torklift makes them works great ask my wife! She almost said I can't ride in here when we bought camper then installed torklift stable loads WOW they make a big difference. Also plumb bags seperate lines to each not tee when you coroner it loads one more then other.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Career Hardened Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjweener1 View Post
I just drove home my new Northstar Arrow U on my 2017 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW diesel. It's a fine set-up but I need some suspension advice.
I'm a total greenhorn and would appreciate some input from those wiser and more experienced. I have a about 2.5 inches of rear sag. It rides pretty nice but I did experience a little bit of porpoising when I hit some road bumps. My GVWR is 12,300 and I am right there or slightly over fully loaded.
Greetings again cjweener1,

Sorry for the long delay in my response and Thank You x10 for the photos of the Arrow-U on your RAM MegaCab!

Shown below are photos of my 2016 RAM 3500 with a 2017 Arrow-U on the back.
There is also a CAT Scale ticket showing that I weigh 11,940 pounds loaded. My truck is registered at 12,300#.

Also note that in addition to the Ride-Rite airbags I have recently added a 1 ¼” diameter Roadmaster anti-sway bar to the rear axle.
Installation was a snap and it clears my over-sized Mag-Hytec rear diff cover with ease.

The sway bars are available in 3 different thicknesses (diameters) from two different company's: Hellwig and Roadmaster.

The links are listed below…
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Sway Bar Education | Hellwig Products

Hope your new Northstar is getting lots of use!
Best Regards,
-Ej-
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #10

I have been using Torklift Stableloads on my RAM trucks.

I currently have a 2014 RAM 3500 DRW Crew Cab with a Lance 1050s.

The Stableloads engage the overload springs when I load the TC and the truck sits level. Without the TC. the Stableloads do not touch the overloads.

A lot less money and nothing to fiddle with.

I did have Firestone airbags on a 2004.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
Career Hardened Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
I have been using Torklift Stableloads on my RAM trucks.
I currently have a 2014 RAM 3500 DRW Crew Cab with a Lance 1050s.
The Stableloads engage the overload springs when I load the TC and the truck sits level. Without the TC. the Stableloads do not touch the overloads.

A lot less money and nothing to fiddle with.
Amazing that such a simple device could provide such a positive improvement. I should give them a try!
I'd say the best part is the fact that the Stableloads are so light in weight.

Unfortunately my airbags, compressor, and anti-sway bar probably add 200+ pounds to my rig, and yup... I'm already a tad heavy.

Thanks for the info!
-Ej-

Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #12

That's great,but with the weight of my triple slide way over 5500lbs I need the air bags also!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 AM   #13

Also I can fine tune my ride,and just a few pounds up or down makes a unbelievable difference for sure,plus I tow many other trailers behind.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 PM   #14

Exclamation Wrong, air bag system has an equalizer to keep from transfering air pressure from

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050racing View Post
Just make sure the airbags have a built in joust bumper if the bag blows you still have some suport,I have the airlift set up with 5500 lb plus camper on truck onboard compressor works great can fine tune plus I tow many other trailers with heavy loads,don't overlook the spring perch the airbag takes that spring out of play in the suspension! Very important I hauled without n with torklift makes them works great ask my wife! She almost said I can't ride in here when we bought camper then installed torklift stable loads WOW they make a big difference. Also plumb bags seperate lines to each not tee when you coroner it loads one more then other.
[LEFT]
You need to do your homework, the air bag systems w/on board compresser come w/an equalizer valve to stop transfer from one to the other. I read the same info about single lines on ea bag.. I was in Col. at a truck repair shop, the teck who works on air bags informed me about the valve. The bags w/the interior bag bumps is a good idea, Hope this helps

Tags
air