RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14
2019 F150 7,000# GVWR Package 5.0 Coyote engine

Good morning -

Considering a truck camper along the lines of a Lance 650 for the short bed truck (5.5 ft). Looking to hear from those that have "been there, done that" with the F150 as I consider rightsizing out of a 37" Jayco Super C.

Thanks!
Terry
__________________

__________________
Terry
N5QWA
2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS
TJBroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
pbt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
I had been interested in something similar and would be interested in experiences people have had. Although I'm not sure I could overcome the placement of the refrigerator in that 650.

On the one hand, I don't think you'll save any money getting an F150 vs. a more ample payload F250; on the other hand, all the manufacturers have taken the same annoying direction in designing their 3/4ton and larger trucks (and to an only slightly lesser extent, 1/2tons): they're all disappointingly bloated and tall. Unless perhaps you go with the long bed single-cab F150 I think you'll be over the GVWR. I'd be cautious of the 5.5ft - the camper will just hang farther off the back as far as I can tell vs. a 6.75ft bed. There are RV rental companies renting new F150s with campers - of course they save a little weight by not having jacks. But what might help them too is that people may fly in to rent a camper, so they can't bring all their "stuff" like someone having their own camper.
__________________

pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbt View Post
I had been interested in something similar and would be interested in experiences people have had. Although I'm not sure I could overcome the placement of the refrigerator in that 650.

On the one hand, I don't think you'll save any money getting an F150 vs. a more ample payload F250; on the other hand, all the manufacturers have taken the same annoying direction in designing their 3/4ton and larger trucks (and to an only slightly lesser extent, 1/2tons): they're all disappointingly bloated and tall. Unless perhaps you go with the long bed single-cab F150 I think you'll be over the GVWR. I'd be cautious of the 5.5ft - the camper will just hang farther off the back as far as I can tell vs. a 6.75ft bed. There are RV rental companies renting new F150s with campers - of course they save a little weight by not having jacks. But what might help them too is that people may fly in to rent a camper, so they can't bring all their "stuff" like someone having their own camper.
When I bought the truck two weeks ago, I really wasn't thinking truck camper. (Not many in south Louisiana.) Hindsite is 20/20 as they say. Since then, I've seen developers building to this set-up, i.e. Lance 650. I've yet to see one in person as the closest dealer is in Houston. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Terry
N5QWA
2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS
TJBroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
pbt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBroussard View Post
When I bought the truck two weeks ago, I really wasn't thinking truck camper. (Not many in south Louisiana.) Hindsite is 20/20 as they say. Since then, I've seen developers building to this set-up, i.e. Lance 650. I've yet to see one in person as the closest dealer is in Houston. Thanks for the info.
What are the actual capacity numbers printed on your truck? Does Ford include any truck-camper specific information in the paperwork included with the truck?
pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ssgritton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 337
Most trucks have a sticker in the glove box that shows the truck camper ratting, or if it is not rated for a camper it will also tell you.

The yellow sticker on the door jam is just payload, I would recommend filling up the truck with gas then run it across a scale with you it, then add for passengers if any, also add about 500 lbs for fluids and see what you have left.

I ended up selling my 1/2 ton as I wanted a Lance 650 also but was way overloaded. I know everybody is overloaded but I wanted to make sure my insurance would pay or safety, I just purchased a one ton Dodge dually.

Problem solved now when I drive on RV lots looking for my next RV no one can tell me you can't have that. LOL

Good luck, I know Ford was the one truck that they show case the 650 on.
__________________
2020 Host Mammoth
2019 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
2016 Jeep Rubicon Toad
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plantation, Fl
Posts: 1,543
Unless that F 150 has the heavy duty payload pkg, which raises the GVWR to 7,850#, it's not rated by Ford to carry a truck camper.

Back in 2004, I bought a new F 250 with a GVWR of 8,800#. I bought a new Sunlite truck camper which was made for the F 250 and similar trucks. With that truck camper on the truck, with no camping "stuff" in the camper or truck, and 1/4 tank of fuel in the truck, it tipped the scales at 8,700#, and I wasn't even in the truck. I never could figure out how they got away with saying that camper was made for an F 250.

That being said I drove that combination for four years or so, without any issues whatsoever. I often towed a boat/trailer behind it that was around 6,000-6500#.
__________________
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly, 4 trips 5800mi
Now 2017 RWD F 150 with a drive shaft disconnect
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Unless that F 150 has the heavy duty payload pkg, which raises the GVWR to 7,850#, it's not rated by Ford to carry a truck camper.

Back in 2004, I bought a new F 250 with a GVWR of 8,800#. I bought a new Sunlite truck camper which was made for the F 250 and similar trucks. With that truck camper on the truck, with no camping "stuff" in the camper or truck, and 1/4 tank of fuel in the truck, it tipped the scales at 8,700#, and I wasn't even in the truck. I never could figure out how they got away with saying that camper was made for an F 250.

That being said I drove that combination for four years or so, without any issues whatsoever. I often towed a boat/trailer behind it that was around 6,000-6500#.
Yes I should have added I have the 7700 GVWR package with FX4 Offroad. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Terry
N5QWA
2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS
TJBroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 26
From what I could find, the 2019 4x4 F150 weighs about 5000 pounds (maybe more/ maybe a little less). That only leaves you with 2700 pounds of payload. And of that 2700 pounds you have to subtract passenger, fuel, extra tools and "stuff" weight. You might have about 2200 pounds left for a slide in truck camper and I seriously doubt that Lance make one the light. Don't forget slide in truck camper have things like propane, batteries and maybe water storage that needs to be added to the "empty" camper weight.
2 Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
From what I could find, the 2019 4x4 F150 weighs about 5000 pounds (maybe more/ maybe a little less). That only leaves you with 2700 pounds of payload. And of that 2700 pounds you have to subtract passenger, fuel, extra tools and "stuff" weight. You might have about 2200 pounds left for a slide in truck camper and I seriously doubt that Lance make one the light. Don't forget slide in truck camper have things like propane, batteries and maybe water storage that needs to be added to the "empty" camper weight.
Probably very close: The Lance 650 shows a dry weight of 1694.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...an-650-tr36227
__________________
Terry
N5QWA
2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS
TJBroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,104
We just rented a Cruise America F-150 with a Lance 650 on the back. The truck did not have the camper package, and in my opinion had an aweful lot of sway. But it did do it. It was a XLT 2wd Ext cab with 5.0L. Same cab as our F-350 so we felt at home. The 5.0 is a good high end motor, not so great for trying to cruise at 80mph with the camper though. We got about 12.5mpg, I imagine if you stuck to 65 you'd be happier and get much fuel economy. I'd go nuts.... Spent a lot of time in 5th and 4th. I imagine the 3.5TT is heavier, though would perform better. I really was planning on stopping at a CAT scale but didn't in the end.

Anyway if you want to really try it, go rent one! They call it the TC17.

I took pictures of all the stickers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191015_163334153.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	264439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191015_163331137.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	264440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_100726731.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	264441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191015_170539637_HDR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	471.1 KB
ID:	264442  

__________________
2017 F-350 6.7 Diesel, CCSB SRW, FX4. Curt Q16/R16 - 11.5K GVWR
2005 Alfa SeeYa! SYF30RLIK - 16.2K GVWR, 4xGC2, 600W Solar MPPT
--Full time July 2016 to January 2019--
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,926
The first question I would ask myself; is this really going to serve my needs? It's quite a jump from your C to a small TC.

We're in the process of downsizing from a MH to a TC, but based on the TC's we had previously, I will be looking for a 3/4 ton truck and 11.5' camper. Our camping style is "boondocking", for the most part which includes cross country trips for about 8k miles per year. After living in the thing for a month or two, even 11.5' seems pretty small. It all depends on how you will use the TC.

Steve
__________________
1994 26' Fleetwood Flair, 454 TBI.

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
The first question I would ask myself; is this really going to serve my needs? It's quite a jump from your C to a small TC.

We're in the process of downsizing from a MH to a TC, but based on the TC's we had previously, I will be looking for a 3/4 ton truck and 11.5' camper. Our camping style is "boondocking", for the most part which includes cross country trips for about 8k miles per year. After living in the thing for a month or two, even 11.5' seems pretty small. It all depends on how you will use the TC.

Steve
Surely you mean 1 ton.
__________________
2017 F-350 6.7 Diesel, CCSB SRW, FX4. Curt Q16/R16 - 11.5K GVWR
2005 Alfa SeeYa! SYF30RLIK - 16.2K GVWR, 4xGC2, 600W Solar MPPT
--Full time July 2016 to January 2019--
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,433
apparently you havenít followed his other post. heís been all over, even alaska in that setup. heís forgotten more about campers then iíll ever know.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,926
Thanks Larry, I'm not really sure about how much I know, but that setup worked well for us over 38+ years of doing the same thing. I'm thinking it will probably work for a few more, at 80 I don't know how many, but I'll make the most of what I have.

I think Larry does about the same thing with his.

Steve
__________________

__________________
1994 26' Fleetwood Flair, 454 TBI.

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can our F150 Pull 34' GVWR 9995 Trailer Kenandlinda Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 34 08-19-2016 01:05 AM
Cummins Rolls Off 3,000,000 Engine from NC Plant DriVer Cummins Engines 0 06-21-2010 04:35 PM
gvwr, gvwr, ? on towing, overloadiing jwine Class A Motorhome Discussions 8 12-09-2008 03:23 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×