Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

93 lance 480 rear bumper falling off??

I am finally getting around to replacing the black water tank hold up straps on my Lance camper. The lag bolts just rusted out and I found 2 of 3 straps hanging on my last trip. It appears the tank strap lag bolt are in line with a series of lag bolts holding on the fancy lance bumper w built in black water hose storage. I picked up some extra 1/4" SS lags to add some for the bumper as I noticed some of them were loose or backing out. I am not finding any structure for the new bumper bolts to get a bite into. My one strap bolt got a small bite but not solid pine. I tried to join the Lance owners site a few months ago and signed up and got my activation email and can log in but still cant go to any of the forum areas so I thought I would ask here. I thought this job would be easy and I had planned to use the camper in 24 hours for the weekend.
I am not sure anyone can help me and if a picture would help you it would help me. I have the Lance panel engineering drawings but it doesn't show this floor area that I know of.
The bolt line is about 1" from what would be the back vertical outside skin of the camper. If I remember right from looking in the tail light area just 18" above this when replacing bulbs it is a standard luan and 1.5" pine stud wall. I figured they would have a 2x2 near the bottom corner but I am not hitting it. What has really held it on is the single carriage bolt on either bumper side flange going through what looks like 1/2" ply that hangs down to give the profile that sexy curve as it drops down off the bed. They covered up the carriage bolt head with a reflector. the carriage bolt even when through the al skin it appears. IT is wobbly and I can move it over some but I also think I should try to find some purchase for other lag bolts too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1617.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	108520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1618.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	108521  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1619.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	108522  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

You might find some good answers and help in the LOA forum. Just a thought. Good luck.

yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

Loa? On IRV2?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #4

http://lanceowners.hoop.la
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

This sounds like a job for some West System epoxy and filler. The wood may have rotted slightly, or the holes have opened up due to repeated flexure of the lag screws over time. They (West) have some white papers on the 'how to's' of doing this sort of repair that can be downloaded off of their website.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

I finally got into LOA and posted there.
There are two layers of vertical plywood on the back wall. the lags were going up into that. It probably held ok when all tight and new but this was sitting on the bumper top flange so it just wicked up water... Imagine that environment when driving in the rain. Its odd to because the plastic covered plywood on the camper bottom stopped at these two ply layers so they were exposed. I ended up adding new carriage bolts on the side skirts to take most of the load and 3-4 new lags on the side flange that must have had real wood behind.. then I drilled new holes more in the middle of the forward layer of plywood and got somewhat of a bite.. for the black water tank straps that just lagged into this end grain plywood via a through holes in the bumper I went with sheet metal screws into the metal bumper. I caulked up all the old holes. It's not a perfect job but I figure it will last another decade but my ideas of adding any storage box onto the back bumper are gone.