Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

98 Corsair 8ft camper roof repair and epdm replacement

My dad recently bought this 98 Corsair camper unaware that it needed roof work so I am doing the repair for him. Thought I would post up my work. Feel free to comment as this is my first EPDM replacement..
At first I was going to repair the roof but as I started to pull things apart I found that the roof was beyond repair... I am sure I could have done it but it would have looked like a patchwork quilt. The PO had driven into somthing and damaged the front right side, tore off the fridge vent and roof rack and damaged the rounded transition strip on the rear. If the repairs had been done correctly the roof would have been fine, but no, the repair was improperly done and as a result the roof leaked in several places.

I am being held up by rain as I do not have a shop to put it in so as I progress I will post up more pics.
I will also be doing a bunch of interior mods and general maintainance work...

Here are some pics of the progress I have made.

OOPS, Posted in reverse order

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Roof repair

Great pictures. Seems like you are doing a fine job. Your dad is lucky you are able to do this for him. It looks like a great camper that he will get much enjoyment from. I hope the weather gets consistently better as I need to do some chores on my trailer as well as other outside chores.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

Well, my days off were a bust, pretty much no progress on the camper.
I just need a couple days of sun and warm weather to finish rebuilding the roof and install the EPDM... The rest of the work can be done regardless of the weather.... Come on sun, enough rain already..
I'm itching to get started on modding my Desert Fox, but I need this camper done first so I can send it back home and get my driveway back....
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #4

Made some progress on the camper roof today before the rain started.....
Once again, sorry the pic's are in reverse order... Can't figure out why they post that way from Photobucket....

Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

great work! Hoping that you have more pictures to post of it all done and wrapped up! I just bought a '88 SunLite Hideaway that I have to do the same thing to, due to water damage. I've done it before on a travel trailer so I'm not scared. Its fairly easy if you're motivated and handy.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Here is a link to more pics of the camper project. Sorry, they are in reverse order so start at the bottom. http://s210.beta.photobucket.com/user/whazhappenin69/library/1998%20Corsair%20Camper%20rebuild
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

Looks great! What did you use for interior panel covering on the ceiling? Did you get wallpaper from local store or did you order the new panels from RV factory? I know my local dealer mentioned he could get panels pre-covered like that from the factory if he drove up to Elkhart to get it.... but that's a long drive for us! I don't see why he couldn't have them shipped but I suppose for the money it's better to make your own using wallpaper you get locally. That looks factory though very nice.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Wait I see you painted the inside ceiling panels, what were they before you painted them? The light tan with patterns? What was that? I like it and think that would look good in my older TC. I guess the white would probably be better for keeping it bright inside though. I'm surprised that unit doesn't have a rooftop air unit but maybe you don't miss it so much up north.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

I purchased the panels finished that way, they are Luan panels with a vinyl finish. I would have left them that way as I really liked the look but I would have had to have replaced all the ceiling panels which meant way more work removing the entire roof to replace them. I used a good quality paint and painted the entire ceiling, it looked just as nice. Any RV repair shop can order them and most building supply stores keep a few sheets in stock or can order them in a variety of patterns, but it really isn't that cheap, around $30 per sheet... I got lucky and bought a bunch from a local new and used lumber dealer (discontinued pattern) for $10 per sheet. Keep in mind that it comes in two types, luan backed and press board backed, make sure you use the luan (actual wood) backed...
I also refinished a 1967 Vanguard truck camper with that pattern, looked really nice when I was finished...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

I will have to look around, as I've not seen any pre-finished panels of luan like that at Lowes. We also have a Menards across town and a Home Depot about 25 minutes from here in the next town south. When I rebuilt my travel trailer, I had to replace the inner skin of one of the side entry doors and realized that it was simply the pebbled FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) sheeting, so I bought a sheet of that to replace the door skin with. I wound up using the leftovers of that piece to make a solid lower panel for the screen door (to keep my kids from knocking the screen out or falling through), and made vent shade covers from it, and a splatter shield for behind the stovetop with it. The stuff looks good and is pretty tough if you cut it correctly, basically water proof and pretty easy to clean. It might be overboard, and i haven't figured out all the details, but when I re-do the roof and ceiling on my Hideaway, I had a crazy idea to possibly use FRP for the ceiling panels inside, and aluminum box tube for the trusses, then probably 3/8" marine grade (treated) plywood for the decking. It has aluminum roofskin on it now, I might re-use it if possible, if not I may get new aluminum to skin it with, and using a good high quality paintable spray on bedliner over that, then using a white roof coating product on top of that. Sounds like a lot, but with this thing having a ladder, I know we will be on the roof some at truck pulls and such. Besides, I want the roof to be as indestructible as possible.... EPDM is great, for 5-10 years. But it's almost impossible to find a used RV or camper of any sort without water damage and I think that's pathetic. I don't expect them to be bulletproof from the factory, the EPDM works great when PROPERLY maintained, but no one ever seems to maintain the EPDM the way it's supposed to be done. I figure if I redo it properly, this camper will last almost forever.

Thoughts on that? Yes using FRP as ceiling panels would be slightly challenging, can't just run a tack nail or staple through it. I might wuss out and just use luan and 2x's for the roof and keep it cheap and simple. But if I can find a way to make the FRP and aluminum work, and be within budget, I'd really like to try it.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #11

Material for trailer restoration.

We did a wall restoration on our 1990 25ft. HiLo Classic. I searched the internet and found a vinyl 1/8 " paneling by Georgia Pacific. In other words it was laun with the wallpaper in place. About $40.00 a sheet. Our Ace hardwear store had to order it in for us.

Tags
repair, replacement, roof